71 replies to this topic

#61 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,924 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:04 PM

Eh. Doesn't demand matter too? Comparing Toronto and Montreal, we've got arguably better farmland here, but they've been miles ahead of us until very recently. But there was no demand here, of course.

I could easily see the lack of the demand side hurting the mid-west (outside of factory farms), even if the growing conditions are better. Consumer and restaurant demand in the North East has certainly helped better farms. Not just hipsters moving to the Hudson Valley, but long time farmers being able to expand their business.

Not to say that the MW is better - I have no idea - but it's not obvious to me that things are necessarily better there just because the weather it. Take Florida - it's a produce wasteland.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#62 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,303 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:20 PM

Eh. Doesn't demand matter too? Comparing Toronto and Montreal, we've got arguably better farmland here, but they've been miles ahead of us until very recently. But there was no demand here, of course.

I could easily see the lack of the demand side hurting the mid-west (outside of factory farms), even if the growing conditions are better. Consumer and restaurant demand in the North East has certainly helped better farms. Not just hipsters moving to the Hudson Valley, but long time farmers being able to expand their business.

Not to say that the MW is better - I have no idea - but it's not obvious to me that things are necessarily better there just because the weather it. Take Florida - it's a produce wasteland.

Nah weather in FL sucks for most of the produce we want to eat and there is no soil, its nearly all sand.

Madison Farmers market has been around for forever.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#63 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,303 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:22 PM

The  point that I'm trying to make is that NY State has a wide, varied agricultural output; that in season, and what grows here or is harvested or picked or plucked here, is as fine as anywhere else in the nation.

But really, a few of the farms aren't that shabby. Even on Long Island.

This just isn't true as much you would like it to be.

Long Island is arguably the best growing area in the Northeast.  The north fork has the most sun around and its a big alluvial deposit.

#64 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,924 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:23 PM

Sure, but what's the debate here - Madison Farmer's market vs. USGM or Midwest vs. Tristate? I wouldn't be surprised to see the results go either way (or opposite ways).

Re: Florida - what about the rest of the south? It seems like there's been a fairly recent, demand driven revolution in the agriculture there.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#65 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,303 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:36 PM

Sure, but what's the debate here - Madison Farmer's market vs. USGM or Midwest vs. Tristate? I wouldn't be surprised to see the results go either way (or opposite ways).

Re: Florida - what about the rest of the south? It seems like there's been a fairly recent, demand driven revolution in the agriculture there.

No experience with the rest of the south. Demand is surely an issue outside of isolated spots.  Of course you hit a farmstand in the finger lakes - or even one of the old school guys in the hamptons, all the are selling are beefsteaks and maybe romas - although when those are good its hard to complain.  

madison vs usgm.  

#66 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,390 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:46 PM

It's almost winter and none of my tomatoes have ripened. mongo is just 7 or 8 hours south of me--how'd he get all those ripe tomoatoes?

#67 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,797 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:12 PM

please let me know when this is over so i can post more pictures of my tomatoes.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#68 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,799 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:15 PM

Nah weather in FL sucks for most of the produce we want to eat and there is no soil, its nearly all sand.

Yes, the Madison Farmers market was around when the Pilgrims landed.

The  point that I'm trying to make is that NY State has a wide, varied agricultural output; that in season, and what grows here or is harvested or picked or plucked here, is as fine as anywhere else in the nation.

But really, a few of the farms aren't that shabby. Even on Long Island.

This just isn't true as much you would like it to be.

Long Island is arguably the best growing area in the Northeast.  The north fork has the most sun around and its a big alluvial deposit.

Well, tell me what's better somewhere else.

Mongo - TOMATOES!

#69 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 06:43 PM

Having a black thumb--two, in fact--I have nothing to say about gardening. But:

Dane County Farmers Market started in 1972, which does not strike me as "forever" unless one is younger than that. I was pretty sure, reading all this arguing, that it wasn't there between 1966 and 1970, when I could make frequent trips to Madison. And I was right.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#70 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,303 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 02:25 PM

Thanks Suzanne. A helpful comment.

#71 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,519 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:22 AM

Take a step back for a second.  Think about the claim you are making.  That the Northeast is better for growing crops than the midwest - literally one of the most fertile belts of cropland in the entire world.

If the Northeast was so fucking great for farming, Europeans would never have bothered to take over the rest of the continent.

One of the great tragedies of modern life is going to places in the Mississippi Valley (my own pet example is Naperville, IL), and seeing places where this fabulous perfect soil, some of the best for farming in the entire world, is instead being used to house real estate developments.

It makes you want to cry.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#72 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,519 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:27 AM

Joe's in denial.

Joe needs to go to Bluestem in Kansas City.
Bar Loser

MF Old