57 replies to this topic

#1 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:04 PM

As I read Robert Galbraith's The Silkworm in paper book format (the first paper book I've read in eons), I am reminded how much I prefer my Sony PRS 950 ereader.

Ease of holding, page turning, book marking, and dictionary accessing are sorely missed with paper books. 

In Galbraith's case, not having the ready dictionary is really a nuisance as some of the vocabulary is way beyond what's normally encountered.

. . . . and victuals and the companionship accruing thereto" . . . .

#2 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,523 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:46 PM

I wish I'd read Robert Fisks' Great War for Civilisation on my Kindle.  1000 plus pages of hardback is heavy going physically.

#3 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,513 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:49 PM

I appreciate the exercise.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#4 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:55 PM

Slamming down a heavy book is far more impressive than slamming down a wimpy e-reader.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#5 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,523 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:22 PM

Arthritic thumbs don't appreciate it.

#6 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:10 AM

eReaders/Tablets are superior to books in every way* except that they're not books.

*now that you don't have to turn off your device for takeoff and landing.

#7 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,100 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:11 AM

Paper still offer lower eye strain, at least for me, but as long as I'm carrying a laptop (work) and and iPad (to participate in United's new and improved entertainment experience) why not also bring along an eReader.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#8 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,523 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:00 PM

I think I saw that someone, somewhere had just started to figure out how to present poetry on ereaders.  They're not better than books in every way.

#9 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,513 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:08 PM

In one of David Lodge's novels, the omniscient narrator observes that books are different from movies in that you can always tell just by looking how near you are to the end of a book, whereas you have no idea when a movie is going to end.

With current technology, neither of those statements is necessarily true anymore.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#10 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,523 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:11 PM

You can tell how near the end of an eBook you are, but it certainly feels different from eyeballing the thickness of the remaining pages.

And you can tell only indirectly how long the thing is in the first place.

#11 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:18 PM

And you can tell only indirectly how long the thing is in the first place.

E-books that I buy from Amazon have page numbers so I've got a pretty accurate estimate of length.  Public domain e-books don't.  I haven't bothered to find out why.

There's a freeware conversion program that I use to convert the public domain files to a Kindle compatible format.  I suspect I could find another conversion program which would generate page numbers.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#12 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,513 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:20 PM

But even with page numbers on an e-reader, you still have to go out of your way to look to see how many pages there are. With a paper book, you can't help but know where you are.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#13 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,100 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:20 PM

I was just reading a book in formal semantics. The pages with no diagrams on them were just fine (except for the footnotes, which were all bunched together at the end of the chapter), but the ones with images looked like they went through a 1980s fax machine. If I go back to the previous page, the text doesn't seem to like keeping quite its previous alignment.

Anyway, advantages, disadvantages, still several years until consumer (cheap, that is) e-paper technology is where it should be.

#14 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:21 PM

You can tell how near the end of an eBook you are, but it certainly feels different from eyeballing the thickness of the remaining pages.

On my Sony ereader, it shows the current and end page numbers; however, the end page number may actually be the page number after a bunch of additional text, excerpts, etc., etc. that's added after the end of the book being read.  Usually, though, this additional content isn't that many pages.

. . . . and victuals and the companionship accruing thereto" . . . .

#15 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,100 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:23 PM

Sony is recalling all of their ereaders as they cause your mind to explode at random!