57 replies to this topic

#16 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:11 PM

But even with page numbers on an e-reader, you still have to go out of your way to look to see how many pages there are. With a paper book, you can't help but know where you are.

The progress bar works pretty well for me.

image001.gif

The e-books I buy directly from Amazon now have actual page numbers*.  If I press the menu button it gives me an actual count instead instead of a % - "Page 372 of 525."  (I've got no idea what "locations" are.)

* I suspect this might not have always been the case.  Amazon goes out of it's way on it's newer releases to tout them as "having real page numbers" as if this is a newish thing.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#17 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,525 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:15 PM

Percentage progress indicator. Holy shit.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#18 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:19 PM

Sort of like what I do when I read a paper book and make a rough call as to how much I have to go.  "Looks like I'm about two thirds through."

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#19 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,539 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:39 PM

Not quite that simple, though, because a four page newspaper article and Proust are both have a progress indicator on the same scale, and getting half way through one is easier than getting half way through the other.

Often enough I have a rough idea what the total length of a book is, but when I upload online content to my Kindle I sometimes don't.  The only way I can tell if I'm reading a four pager or a fifty pager is to see how fast the progress indicator jumps.

I don't recall page numbers, but I don't have my Kindle with me right now.

#20 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,539 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:40 PM

Innovative technology brings us...page numbers!!!

#21 LiquidNY

LiquidNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:44 PM

They should change the size of the progress bar depending on how long the book is.

Man about town.

#22 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:05 PM

As a sidenote I want to mention an excellent source of public domain e-books that I found last week - http://a.bookzz.org/.

#23 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:53 PM

You people are crazy.  Has anyone told you this before?  I'm sure someone has.  Where is Steve?

#24 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,525 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 08:00 PM

Steve doesn't tell people they're crazy anymore.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#25 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 08:22 PM

Innovative technology brings us...page numbers!!!

Indeed.

15472067175_696a39fd1f_o.jpg

As I said above, I believe this is a relatively new thing. Public domain books that I've put on my Kindle don't have actual page numbers but I'll bet there's freeware that would generate them.

#26 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,525 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 08:30 PM

Next thing they'll have to find a way to have pages fall out if you leave it open too long.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#27 LiquidNY

LiquidNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 08:37 PM

And they have to replicate that "old book" smell.

Man about town.

#28 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,525 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 08:39 PM

Christopher Brosius has a perfume accord that does that.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#29 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 08:55 PM

Next thing they'll have to find a way to have pages fall out if you leave it open too long.

Stains.  We need a way to put virtual food and wine stains on the pages of e-books.

#30 LiquidNY

LiquidNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 08:58 PM

Can you highlight lines and add notes to ebooks?

Man about town.