46 replies to this topic

#1 LiquidNY

LiquidNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 04:15 AM

You probably will because as prices keep falling, at some point they will be the only option on the market. (Until 8K comes out!)

But right now UHD TV shipments are up over 500%.  And 4K blu-ray is slated to debut in time for next Christmas.

Are you going to upgrade to 4K?  Is it overkill for home use?  Will the improvement over 1080p even be perceptible?

Man about town.

#2 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,549 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 04:24 AM

I think it's interesting that people are going whole hog for upgrades in visual reproduction, while they're abandoning any idea of the desirability of high-definition aural reproduction.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#3 LiquidNY

LiquidNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 04:28 AM

I think it's interesting that people are going whole hog for upgrades in visual reproduction, while they're abandoning any idea of the desirability of high-detail aural reproduction.

This bothers me too.  The only explanation I have is that people tend to listen to music "on the go", in the subway, while driving, whatever.  And you can't really do that with a movie.

Man about town.

#4 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,023 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:33 PM

you better get at least a 60 inch screen in order to see any difference at all (and even then it is negligible)...the real reason to buy a 4K TV is that TV manufacturers are throwing their best screen tech (many zoned local dimming etc.) into the 4K tvs.  In other words, don't buy a 4K TV because it's 4K, buy it because it's probably the best 1080P TV you can get.  if that makes sense.

Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#5 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,119 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:38 PM

Exactly, but then the latest generation HD displays from panasonic and sony (just two examples, we don't really see much of the non-Japanese brands here) are pretty brilliant, so if you're looking for something in the sub 55 inch range that's still your best bet (also given how much 4k content is out there)

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#6 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 07:11 PM

Isn't the real issue hideously crappy compression? Until that's fixed I think I'm OK w my ten year old plasma.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#7 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,119 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:38 AM

And there's still some broadcast standard infighting. Sony is promising that it'll make consumers whole if the final version doesn't match their opinion, which probably means they go from a modest loss to a not so modest loss on each set. 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#8 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,800 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 01:24 AM

Isn't the real issue hideously crappy compression? Until that's fixed I think I'm OK w my ten year old plasma.

our 8 year old industrial panasonic monitor is still going strong too. if it weren't for the fact that it doesn't have hdmi inputs etc. i wouldn't even think about replacing it soon. but when i look around at the led sets i can afford i am not inspired.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#9 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 01:53 AM

You have dish right? My impression is they use less aggressive compression algorithms. But I may be wrong. Time Warner looks like crap.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#10 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,800 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 01:56 AM

directv. yes, better picture, but jesus fucking christ, the response time on their dvr/receivers to remote input is enough to make me almost smash the tv on a daily basis.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#11 LiquidNY

LiquidNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 02:08 AM

Blu ray is the only way to go right now. I'm a little skeptical that they're going to be able to fit a 4k movie on a blu ray without tons of compression artifacts, but we'll see. I read somewhere they might be able to fit 100GB per layer.

Man about town.

#12 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 09:01 PM

i'm looking at this one but i'm not sure if i should wait. 40" is about the largest tv we can fit in here. There's nowhere to put anything as large as 55"

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#13 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 12:28 AM

i might just have to go get a samsung plasma tv while they are still out there.  we don't have anything at the moment.

man, i need a headache

#14 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,117 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:50 PM

Thinking of getting a set in the 48-55" range.  I see UHD.  I see HD.  I hear plasma is extinct.  I see curved screens.  i hear the TV sound sucks and a sound bar needs to be purchased (probably true given the age of whatever cheap components I have scattered around).  So what is the answer?  Is UHD (4X) the future?  Does it matter given the quality of what's coming over cable?  Or does it help upgrade the picture generally?  Why do Consumer Reports reviews and CNET descriptions either not exist for broad swaths of product or have different model numbers?  Is there somewhere to find concise, accurate info (other than here, of course)?  TIA.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#15 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:02 PM

I think it's interesting that people are going whole hog for upgrades in visual reproduction, while they're abandoning any idea of the desirability of high-definition aural reproduction.

Seems the opposite from where I'm sitting - it seems genuinely hard to spend more than mid-4-figures for a TV or projector unless you're going for extremely exotic stuff, but that's probably cheaper than any significant part of your sound system.
I didn't tip at Per Se either.