46 replies to this topic

#16 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,544 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:06 PM

But how many people do you know that even have sound systems any more?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#17 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,117 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:08 PM

Exactly.  I know one guy who spends a day a week at the Magnolia section of Best Buy.  Beyond that, no one.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#18 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:10 PM

Thinking of getting a set in the 48-55" range.  I see UHD.  I see HD.  I hear plasma is extinct.  I see curved screens.  i hear the TV sound sucks and a sound bar needs to be purchased (probably true given the age of whatever cheap components I have scattered around).  So what is the answer?  Is UHD (4X) the future?  Does it matter given the quality of what's coming over cable?  Or does it help upgrade the picture generally?  Why do Consumer Reports reviews and CNET descriptions either not exist for broad swaths of product or have different model numbers?  Is there somewhere to find concise, accurate info (other than here, of course)?  TIA.

Well, I actually read C-NET reviews when I'm in the market for something like this.  They're usually entertaining and accurate enough.  So, with that in mind, I found this for you:  http://www.cnet.com/...e-still-stupid/  Maybe you've already seen it, but I got a kick out of it.

And, on the other side, we have:  http://www.trustedre...you-should-care

In direct answer to your question, I don't think there's a one-stop answer to this.  But, if you want a MF member opinion, as usual, I have one.  I aint running out and buying one.

This space available… contact owner.

#19 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:11 PM

But how many people do you know that even have sound systems any more?

Me, you, and this one guy who's one of the few people I know through Alice I still stay in touch with...

But among the very biased and small sample of people I know, the total amount of money spent on home audio equipment is probably in the same ballpark as the amount of money spent on TVs and such.
I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#20 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,117 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:22 PM

Thanks, Steve.  Quite informative, if opinionated.  So deferring on UHD, what are the best HD sets in the 48-55" range currently available?

Then that happened.

#21 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:31 PM

i just bought a samsung led smart tv and less than a month later realize that i should have looked for something that also had bluetooth connectivity for wireless headphones and keyboards. next time, i guess

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#22 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,117 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:36 PM

Ah, the pitfalls!

Then that happened.

#23 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 11:10 PM

Ah, the pitfalls!

but weirdly even though the documentation says the tv has no bluetooth in the sound settings there is a bluetooth menu and my old blue ant headset is discoverable by the tv. it doesn't connect but i'm guessing that's because the headset hasn't been updated in years. if i ever get beats wireless headphones i'll try again. maybe it's a secret feature

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#24 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,117 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 11:34 PM

Samsung has wireless headphones.

Then that happened.

#25 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,114 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 03:01 AM

I think it's interesting that people are going whole hog for upgrades in visual reproduction, while they're abandoning any idea of the desirability of high-definition aural reproduction.

Seems the opposite from where I'm sitting - it seems genuinely hard to spend more than mid-4-figures for a TV or projector unless you're going for extremely exotic stuff, but that's probably cheaper than any significant part of your sound system.

Even a  KJ-75X9400C is only $7k

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#26 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 03:09 AM

4K projectors start at like 10k though. In other words, about the price of a bizarre fancy ultrasonic record cleaner.
I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#27 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,307 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 03:25 AM

Wait until people want to start bringing back CRT's because the colors are warmer.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#28 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,114 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 03:33 AM

Hand blown CRTs, with the stripes drawn in blood, spruce, and Hexaplex trunculus. 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#29 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,117 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 04:12 AM

Hand blown CRTs, with the stripes drawn in blood, spruce, and Hexaplex trunculus. 

Is Banksy designing TV sets now?

Then that happened.

#30 LiquidNY

LiquidNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 05:26 AM

I'm surprised they don't make videophile TVs with vacuum tubes.

Man about town.