46 replies to this topic

#31 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 01:47 AM

There was a hardcore set of videophiles who were buying Sony Trinitrons [HD resolution] till the bitter end.  I have an 1800x1440 Sony Trinitron I use as the secondary monitor on my workstation [mostly when I want to play videos].  However I haven't moved the thing since the winter I was still young and recently employed in manual labour. 

I don't really understand who the market for '4K', etc, TVs are supposed to be.  Most people sit at least a metre from their TV and can't make out pixels at 1080 res.  Computer monitors on the other hand...  I've waited almost my entire life for monitors on which I could no longer differentiate the pixels.  I'm getting old enough that this might happen owing to developments in my biology rather than technology. 

I would have bought the 5K iMac already if it weren't for Apple's non-standard [Frankenstein?] solution to video bandwidth.  I'm waiting for proper DisplayPort 1.3 support probably in the next generation of iMacs with 'Skylake' chips later this year.

#32 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,519 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 02:58 AM

BECAUSE PEOPLE DON'T GIVE A RAT'S ASS ABOUT SOUND BUT FETISHIZE VISUALS.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#33 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,519 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 02:59 AM

(At least as long as the explosions shake their asses.)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#34 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:55 AM

I think one of the factors here is that most of us who live in urban environments probably can't make adequate use of respectable audio kit.  Heck, I can't even really play these dinky Pioneers: 90+ per cent of my listening is through headphones.  If I ever inherit the pater's McIntosh vacuum tubes, I'll probably have no choice but to sell them, unless I move to the country...

#35 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,519 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:58 AM

I know someone who'd make an offer.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#36 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 10:48 AM

last year i ran out and bought a plasma tv after i found out i'd be stuck with an LED if i didn't act.

man, i need a headache

#37 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:50 PM

We bought the last generation of Pioneer plasmas as they were being liquidated during the previous recession.  Was very upset when I learnt Panasonic had stopped making plasmas, and I'd failed to buy the ST60 before end of production.

#38 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 07:41 PM

Why can't you play your speakers?
I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#39 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,519 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 07:45 PM

He worries about bothering his neighbors.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#40 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 07:49 PM

Oh man, I hope I'm not bothering mine.

Never mind, I'm too much of a jerk to give a shit.

#41 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,519 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 07:51 PM

I think one of the factors here is that most of us who live in urban environments probably can't make adequate use of respectable audio kit.  Heck, I can't even really play these dinky Pioneers: 90+ per cent of my listening is through headphones.  If I ever inherit the pater's McIntosh vacuum tubes, I'll probably have no choice but to sell them, unless I move to the country...

Daniel Druckman is a percussionist, not his (late) father Jacob (re:  the link).

Bar Loser

MF Old

#42 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,519 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 07:51 PM

Oh man, I hope I'm not bothering mine.

Never mind, I'm too much of a jerk to give a shit.

I KNOW I'm bothering mine.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#43 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 08:15 PM

Well, my building used to be a hospital. It's probably got, like, thick walls or something.

#44 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,833 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 12:48 PM

Ah, the pitfalls!

but weirdly even though the documentation says the tv has no bluetooth in the sound settings there is a bluetooth menu and my old blue ant headset is discoverable by the tv. it doesn't connect but i'm guessing that's because the headset hasn't been updated in years. if i ever get beats wireless headphones i'll try again. maybe it's a secret feature

turns out that even though samsung says the tv has no bluetooth it does. i was able to connect bluetooth earphones to the tv successfully today. the earphones cost $20 and interestingly the sound is as good as the beats wireless that cost $200. however the range leaves a lot to be desired. i wonder why samsung doesn't know the tv has bluetooth

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#45 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,102 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 03:14 PM

Maybe someone else put it in there?

http://krebsonsecuri...gang-in-mexico/

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns