26 replies to this topic

#1 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,826 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 04:32 PM

Mace will be the new bar where Louis 649 used to be the old bar.  It's not open yet, but theoretically will be sometime early in the new year.  Cocktail Kingdom's Greg Boehm is the owner, and partner Nico de Soto will be running the show.  Before they close and renovate the Louis 649 space, Nico is hosting a holiday themed cocktail pop-up, called Miracle on 9th Street, which will be open through December 23rd.

Anyone who knows Nico's drinks (he opened ECC and Prescription Cocktail Club in Paris, amongst others) knows that they are fairly ingredient intensive, with (usually) 4 or more ingredients, some of which may even sound a little strange on paper - marshmallow and Budweiser syrup, anyone?

Significant Eater and I checked it out on opening night, this past Saturday. As I mentioned, many of the cocktails sound a bit strange on paper, but pretty much everything I tasted was good (I mean, not as good as a beautifully made Manhattan, but what is?). There's smoke, there's frankincense, there are candy canes, there are nogs, there are flips, there's a sangaree. Definitely drinks of the season, spicy and sweet. But really well balanced...with a good use of citrus. Worth giving a look-see if you like these types of cocktails.

COMP DISCLOSURE:  I am pretty sure a round of drinks was on the house.

#2 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,568 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 04:34 PM

The concentration of cocktail bars in that immediate vicinity is insane.  Sounds like one to try though.

#3 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,826 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 04:46 PM

We were talking about this last night (over cocktails).  Gotta be a saturation point, no?

#4 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,568 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 04:51 PM

The bars seem to be attracting non-residents, so I guess the demand is indefinite, if not infinite.  Selfishly, I find it a little sad, because I used to spend a lot of time on that strip, and all the places--and people--I used to enjoy have gone.

(To be clear, one or two old places like Zum Schneider and Esperanto persist, but I didn't really use them.)

#5 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,549 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:31 PM

Joe and I noted over our cocktails (to the extent I can remember) that, despite the proliferation of Serious Cocktail Bars, you still can't get into Death & Co. and PDT. Which must mean, fairly ironically, that those places are filled with cocktail tourists -- to the extent that perhaps it's better for serious (here it comes) (I don't know another word for it) cocktailians (alcoholics?) to patronize the ever-expanding elsewhere.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#6 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,568 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:28 PM

Sure, I haven't tried to get into those places in a very long time.  There are always new, and not yet packed places to explore. Currently liking Dead Drop very much.

#7 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,452 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:08 PM

If you have to wait to get into a cocktail bar, then there aren't enough cocktail bars.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#8 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,826 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:17 PM

If you have to wait to get into a cocktail bar, then there aren't enough cocktail bars.

But really, I'm pretty sure the only ones where you have to wait to get in are D&C and PDT, and even those can be gotten into fairly easily on the right days at the right time. Attaboy might also be a pain at the wrong time.

#9 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,549 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:33 PM

Right. We've got this odd situation where there are two (maybe four: don't forget Dead Rabbit upstairs) cocktail bars you have to wait to get into -- and then a whole bunch you don't. Pretty obvious how to play this.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#10 LiquidNY

LiquidNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:35 PM

Are the ones where you don't have to wait just as good as the ones where you do have to wait?  In my experience - sometimes, but usually not.

Man about town.

#11 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,549 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:36 PM

(And it's also pretty obvious, under the circs, that the masses of people going to the three or four Serious Cocktail Bars you can't get into aren't going because they love Serious Cocktails.)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#12 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,549 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:38 PM

Are the ones where you don't have to wait just as good as the ones where you do have to wait?  In my experience - sometimes, but usually not.

Pouring Ribbons is as good as any cocktail bar in the city.

So is Amor y Amargo, within its limits.

So is Pegu Club.

I could go on.

(There's definitely a second level. But there are a lot more than three or four places above it.)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#13 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,924 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:43 PM

It's nice that lots of the new openings (everywhere) aren't temple of the cocktail places but just nice bars that can make good drinks.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#14 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,826 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 08:11 PM

Pouring Ribbons is as good as any cocktail bar in the city.

So is Amor y Amargo, within its limits.

So is Pegu Club.

I could go on.

(There's definitely a second level. But there are a lot more than three or four places above it.)

I will...

Nitecap.

Flatiron Lounge.

Raines.

Clover Club.

NoMad Bar.

etc.

#15 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,568 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:09 AM

And wouldn't you know it, early Monday evening the Miracle on 9th is crowded enough...