Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#32 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,452 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:08 PM

I doubt any of Sneak's dates even know what a Blackberry is.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#33 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:11 PM

Peter Creasy will only give his up when they pry it out of his cold dead fingers.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#34 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:46 PM

i have a collection of old blackberries from all the investment banks that i've worked for. i'm willing to sell them so i can use the proceeds to buy my apple watch

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#35 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,109 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:14 PM

i have a collection of old blackberries from all the investment banks that i've worked for. i'm willing to sell them so i can use the proceeds to buy my apple watch

not old enough yet.  better if you had an early wood and metal mouse.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#36 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:16 PM

not old enough yet.  better if you had an early wood and metal mouse.

damn

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#37 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,021 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:46 PM

with a full day's use (including a 1.5 hr workout/run where the heart-rate sensor is functioning non-stop) I'm down to about 35% battery life at midnight.  the battery is rated at retaining 80% capacity at 1000 cycles (the battery in your iPhone is rated at 500 cycles).  Apple will swap the battery for $70 (just as with an iPhone) btw.  

I don't expect it to get much thinner.  in real life (as opposed to photos) it's as thin or thinner as most conventional watches.  but the key part is the slide-in-slide out feature for the bands.  what this means is that if you decide to upgrade in say 3 years, you'll keep your bands and purchase the base model nice one for $500.  then, just like your iPhone or Macbook, you'll sell your old Apple watch for $200 and your actual upgrade cost is $300.  it's not rocket science.

battery life has gotten vastly better for laptops since 2013 when Intel released Haswell.  for example, the Air easily gets 15 hours of battery life.  there are Windows equivalents that do as well.  it's not that battery life hasn't improved in phones...it has, technically.  the problem is that they all have very high-resolution screens now.  those are crushing on battery life.  (you do easily get two days of battery life if you buy a 6+ or equivalent Android, since phablets have much larger batteries).

nifty things I like: navigation is awesome.  I use it for that all the time (it taps differently on your wrist to tell you turn left or right).  no more awkwardly holding your phone out while you're driving or walking).  I like dictating quick notes or grocery lists with Evernote.    btw, your battery life on your iPhone is drastically increased when you use the Apple Watch.  

in the long run smartwatches will replace phones I think.  once the technology is there to get the cellular radio small enough and power thrifty enough.  then we'll just have watches and tablets (for when we need a larger screen and for media consumption).

one thing I thought was a total gimmick was taking phone calls on your wrist...it's actually shockingly useful for the quick work call that comes in while you're walking.  so long as you keep it to a 10 second interaction it makes sense.

it is definitely a first generation product, but as with the first generation iPhone, you can see the potential.  as with that device, once you have the Watch you don't want to go back to not using it.  it feels indispensable (though no one actually needs one, but you see what I'm saying).  yes Pebble users have been saying this for a couple years (though this does much more).  the problem is that the Pebble looks like something only a high school male would wear.  that's a problem.  a watch is the only piece of jewelry that it's really acceptable for an adult male to wear (other than a wedding band).  and no woman would wear a Pebble.  Apple did the right thing by emphasizing design.  that's why the tech press has been useless on this. (and why Apple featured the Watch in Vogue etc.)

Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#38 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,021 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:47 PM

i have a blackberry for work.  it's horrid.

Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#39 LiquidNY

LiquidNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:41 AM

If they are smart - and they are. They'll figure out a form factor that allows one to swap internals in a very nice professional looking case.

That's never been the apple game, though.

It might be their game if they require you to bring it to an Apple store and charge $500 for one of their Geniuses to swap out the internals. (And of course void the warranty if anybody else opens it.)

Man about town.

#40 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,525 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:00 AM

It would have to be less than $500 to solve the problem.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#41 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,539 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:56 AM

Forgetting about apps, price, etc. the biggest issue remains battery life. For both apple and android fugly-wear, straight out of the box they barely last the day if you use them at all, which probably means in a year you need to recharge them every 6 hours. 

Battery life is an enormous challenge.

The issue of co-branding an Apple watch with Hermes, Prada etc is going to be extremely tricky.  It's way outside Apple's traditional comfort zone

Google partnership with Tag Heuer highlights that.

#42 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 02:09 AM

10357185_810543202355426_534590915233107

~Jack Handey

#43 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,107 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:43 PM

yes Pebble users have been saying this for a couple years (though this does much more).  the problem is that the Pebble looks like something only a high school male would wear.  that's a problem.  a watch is the only piece of jewelry that it's really acceptable for an adult male to wear (other than a wedding band).  and no woman would wear a Pebble.  Apple did the right thing by emphasizing design.  that's why the tech press has been useless on this. (and why Apple featured the Watch in Vogue etc.)

Having seen an apple watch being worn, I think pebble has the advantage that nobody is going to mistake you for someone who thinks they're working a beautifully designed object. 

Anyway, the utility is clear, I'll wait for a couple of generations. 

Regarding the laptop story - read again - if you consider a laptop that is moore-law (in its version applied to all aspects - video, memory, cpu, bus, disk, etc.) better than one from two years ago, your battery situation is no better than it ever was. 15 hour models are only possible because people are now free to state the preference of that over a stronger machine. 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#44 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:18 PM

i'm not sure why, but i ordered an apple watch today. i think it must be to make myself feel better about going to the gym every g-damn  day

~Jack Handey

#45 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:24 PM

i'm not sure why, but i ordered an apple watch today. i think it must be to make myself feel better about going to the gym every g-damn  day

Are you and Nathan going to exchange heartbeats?
"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China