57 replies to this topic

#31 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 06:38 AM

So he gets 1 ounce. That leaves 6 ounces to be split between 3 people. Two ounces of burger for dinner.

Those familiar with the New Testament will be reminded of the miracle of the loaves and fishes.

https://en.m.wikiped...g_the_multitude
"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#32 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,870 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 06:53 PM

Is it really valid for a non-steakhouse to sell a burger that takes a family to finish?  How are customers supposed to know not to order it if they're not splitting it three or four ways (not that anyone at the bar with me was splitting it three or four ways) (I liked that bar:  the other burger-eaters made me look svelt)?  Why do that?  Why not just serve a fucking burger?

Let me try to put this in a way that sounds less antagonistic.

It seems to me that if you need a crew to finish a burger, it ceases being a burger.  It's exaggerated into something else.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#33 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,220 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 11:17 PM

Sounds like a version of the boards where smashed well-done patties are the definition of a burger, and Minetta style burgers are considered to have stopped being a burger, plus Sneak not being hungry that early.  :P

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#34 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,870 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 04:20 AM

Mainly the last.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#35 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,175 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 05:08 AM

Sounds like a version of the boards where smashed well-done patties are the definition of a burger, and Minetta style burgers are considered to have stopped being a burger, plus Sneak not being hungry that early.  :P

I've been living burgers and I've narrowed it down to 4 or 5 styles of burgers. All are legitimate all have their pros and cons.

The Emily burger is a pro. It's a big fatty burger.' Bring a friend
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#36 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,220 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:21 AM

Will try to do so in August

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#37 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,884 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 03:25 PM

I think another, and perhaps more accurate, way to put it is that now, places aren't trying to serve good burgers.  They're trying to serve The Best Burger.  But in so doing, they're overloading what is in essence a very simple dish.

(And I'll repeat, fanboy that I am, that I think the McNally places avoid this pitfall.)

Agree with all this. The Exaggerated Burger.

I'd underline the richness problem.  People have tried to differentiate their burgers by adding pork belly or chorizo to the patty, by topping them with bone marrow or absurdly rich sauces, and by mounting them on huge, glistening brioche buns.  The result, to me, is just overwhelming and ultimately aversive.

That's my most common complaint against "chef" burgers these days.  Followed by the fact they then fall apart and have to be eaten with a soup spoon.

#38 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,884 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 03:28 PM

The Emily monster.  Restrained on the fries, apparently.

24267d567001b8ef22f3b757e654f0c5.jpg

#39 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,870 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 04:05 PM

They do themselves a disservice.

The way the burger is served is on a metal tray, not a plate, with a shit-ton of fries.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#40 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,175 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 04:35 PM

that burger tho:

27404230143_71fff27b9d.jpg

27737713880_3fe14cf4cd.jpg

Half for Jax, half for Alicia and I

27983258336_77ec1dd2e2.jpg

#41 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,884 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 04:46 PM

The way the burger is served is on a metal tray, not a plate, with a shit-ton of fries.

I grabbed the photo from Infatuation, which usually flatters restaurants.  There are probably others out there.

#42 sweatshorts

sweatshorts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 05:20 PM

I grabbed the photo from Infatuation, which usually flatters restaurants.  There are probably others out there.

You can tell it's from the Infatuation because they always shoot food photos so wide open (i.e., with the biggest possible aperture) that there's only a tiny silver in focus.  Here, the in focus portion is two french fries, half the X on the bun, and maybe some of the cheese?  Hard to tell.

#43 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,357 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 05:33 PM

but bokeh is cool tho

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#44 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,870 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:10 PM

So he gets 1 ounce. That leaves 6 ounces to be split between 3 people. Two ounces of burger for dinner.

Those familiar with the New Testament will be reminded of the miracle of the loaves and fishes.

https://en.m.wikiped...g_the_multitude

To be clear, my problem with this burger isn't that it's too big.  It's that it's too rich.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#45 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,175 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:18 PM

wow, i hope I never hear them for as long as I live.. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Clinton Hill