57 replies to this topic

#46 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,905 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:09 PM

I actually thought the burger was too rich, there was way too much sauce, and it was a waste of decent meat.

would like to try the emmy squared one though.

#47 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,468 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:11 PM

Aaron said exactly what I was trying to say, except he said it clearly and succinctly.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#48 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,468 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:22 PM

Sounds like a version of the boards where smashed well-done patties are the definition of a burger, and Minetta style burgers are considered to have stopped being a burger, plus Sneak not being hungry that early.  :P

I hate to be serious, but I just want to note that I would object just as much if they only served the burger, say, from 9-10 or 10-11 or 11-12 (i.e., times when I actually like to eat).  It's the (artificially) limited availability I mainly object to, not the particular limitation.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#49 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,255 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:32 PM

sorry, i am on team Emily burger.. I love the burger and it can be enjoyed as long as you eat less than half of a half.  I would rather eat that than a steak at a restaurant..   It's something that was created by a chef, not just some protein that was heated up. It's so rare now that I eat red meat, that when I do, I am looking for something rich and decadent like this burger..

I don't think others are wrong for not liking it, i just want to say, there is very much a right time and place for that bad boy.  

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#50 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,386 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:08 PM

Sounds like a version of the boards where smashed well-done patties are the definition of a burger, and Minetta style burgers are considered to have stopped being a burger, plus Sneak not being hungry that early.  :P

I hate to be serious, but I just want to note that I would object just as much if they only served the burger, say, from 9-10 or 10-11 or 11-12 (i.e., times when I actually like to eat).  It's the (artificially) limited availability I mainly object to, not the particular limitation.

Yes, I understand. Once at Adler they refused to serve me the burger because they "only offer it at the bar", so we got up and left. 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#51 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 87,256 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 02:46 PM

The Emmy Squared in the East Village.  I thought it was pretty good.  A few years ago some joint opened on First or Second Ave serving square pies on thick, bland, spongy crusts, and I hated it and it closed.  This place has figured out how to get plenty of flavor in the crust -- charring around the edge, cheese flavor evident throughout, plenty of oil.  I tried the margherita.  Would have fed two normal people (maybe with a side), so good value at $22.

Yes, I ate it all.

#52 The Flon

The Flon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 03:50 PM

The Emmy Squared in the East Village.  I thought it was pretty good.  A few years ago some joint opened on First or Second Ave serving square pies on thick, bland, spongy crusts, and I hated it and it closed.  This place has figured out how to get plenty of flavor in the crust -- charring around the edge, cheese flavor evident throughout, plenty of oil.  I tried the margherita.  Would have fed two normal people (maybe with a side), so good value at $22.

Yes, I ate it all.

That was the Michael White place.

#53 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,468 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 04:50 PM

Isn’t that still open?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#54 sweatshorts

sweatshorts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 05:06 PM

That's Nicoletta -- it doesn't serve square pies and it's still open, so I don't think that's what Wilf is talking about.

#55 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 87,256 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 12:04 AM

No, this was a non-cheffy place. Let me see if it's in the Pink Pig archives (it's probably on Mouthfuls somewhere).

#56 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 87,256 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 12:08 AM

It was called Solex when I went there, re-opened as Veloce Pizzeria.

http://www.pinkpigny...-in-the-ev.html

#57 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,386 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 04:27 PM

This place has figured out how to get plenty of flavor in the crust 

It's basically fried in itself.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#58 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 87,256 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 04:55 AM

Mm, and if one must eat thick dough that seems to be a good idea.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Clinton Hill