9 replies to this topic

#1 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,390 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 12:09 AM

It's finally safe to plant up here (hopefully the last snowfall was last week), so I bought a bunch of heirloom tomatoes and am almost ready to go. I just have to finish cleaning up the beds so I can plant them.

Problem--someone (not I) planted a bunch of crap in my raised planting beds last year and didn't label anything except the big rosemary plant. And I let things go till this week (hadn't even stepped foot out in the back yard until--my poor neighbours must have been having a fit with how high the grass was) so there's stuff growing in there and I have no idea what's worth saving and what's a weed.

I think some of them are strawberries, but they are haphazardly planted and certainly are not planted in mounds. I'm pretty sure there's at least one garlic plant that already has a pretty big almost blooming flower. 

Should I just dig everything up except the garlic and start from scratch? 

Or should I keep stuff I think might not be weeds, and just hope for the best?

If I post photos of stuff, will anyone be willing to tell what it is? 

I feel like I posted the same thing last year, and possibly the year before, but there's nothing like repeating oneself! I am at that age, after all.

#2 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 01:45 PM

If you have things to plant, dig up a space and plant the new stuff.  And let the other section become a bonanza of surprises....

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#3 memesuze

memesuze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 01:57 PM

mongo, have you ever heard of the Minnesota Midget variety of cantaloupe? Said to have shorter growing season but just as sweet as the usual suspects. Softball-sized on a compact vine.
"When you think about it, all of my greatest work is poop tomorrow." - Mario Batali

Even if you live to be 100, life is short.

#4 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,800 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 02:17 PM

mongo, have you ever heard of the Minnesota Midget variety of cantaloupe? Said to have shorter growing season but just as sweet as the usual suspects. Softball-sized on a compact vine.

hmm no. will ask about it at the great little garden store in our town.

as for me: 20 tomato plants are in the ground. the chicken wire fence is falling down and hopefully the bastard bunnies will not decapitate any seedlings before i get the replacement up.

we've had a cold and wet may and it's been hard to get the soil ready and things in in the little time we've had between cold and rainy periods. i got the tomatoes in on saturday after 4 dry days in a row. then it rained all day yesterday and showers are forecast for today and tomorrow as well. as soon as the soil is dry again peppers and everything else will go in too.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#5 memesuze

memesuze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 05:36 PM

See here for seeds and growing info:

https://duckduckgo.c...get cantaloupe

Even Amazon.com has seeds.
"When you think about it, all of my greatest work is poop tomorrow." - Mario Batali

Even if you live to be 100, life is short.

#6 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,800 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 05:46 PM

thanks! that looks like it might be easy enough for even me to grow...

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#7 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,800 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:11 PM

just came home with a packet of minnesota midget seeds. also got some of another mini-watermelon variety. waited too damn long to buy my seeds and they were all out of genovese basil and cilantro. hoping they'll be able to get some more in double-quick.

~homer simpson

#8 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,390 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 02:39 PM

Let's say there was frost in my area last night, so I covered my tomato plants. And somehow, a couple of them managed to snap not quite all the way through the stem--so above the roots, but below the leaves.

Is there any way to save them? They're my only two yellow tomatoes (one is fuzzy yellow/orange, and the other is a sunny boy), and I'd like to save them if I can. But it's early enough in the season to get new ones if needed. 

#9 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,390 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 06:42 PM

Something ate most of my sunny boy (which is actually lemon boy or something like that) and all of my black cherry. Fortunately I bought a second lemon boy today (I forgot I had the first one). There's another one that's almost all eaten, too, but I forgot what it was.

All my tomatoes are planted in a raised plant bed, about two (maybe three?) feet high. I'm guessing it was the squirrels that got them. I'm thinking I need to get some bird netting and set up some sort of barrier to stop the little buggers. Anyone made something like that before?

#10 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,390 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 01:36 AM

When I was a child, I used to eat tomatoes like apples. I haven't been able to do that in decades because tomatoes from the supermarket are so crappy.

I just picked a perfectly ripe lemon boy, and it's like the tomatoes of my childhood. 

My chianti rose had no fruit. 

Black krim had a few, but something nibbled on all but one.

Someone (not me) ate the first ripe Cherokee purple and said it was excellent. There are more fruits on that one, so hopefully I'll get a ripe one upon my return. 

The fuzzy peach got eaten by something. I was really looking forward to it, too. 

Tiny tims were quite nice. I'd grow moreof those.