965 replies to this topic

#886 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,581 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 02:47 PM

How much do you lose per wing, product and labor included?     Anybody bother to say "Thanks"?

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#887 The Flon

The Flon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 02:47 PM

To be clear...the wings are every day, right? But on Monday they're .25?

I'll pay triple I just need to make it back when you haven't run out.

#888 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,175 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 03:27 PM

wings are available everyday.. we have gotten it down where we do not sell out anymore.. Though, someone prepped them wrong the other day and I had to reprep 5 sheets on my "day off" while sitting with family but, it's mostly down and we do not sell out anymore..  It's incredibly hard to add anything new, first you train the prep cook, then you train the manager, then they train the staff and then you have to watch everything like a hawk for a good month fixing everyones mistakes..  Is there honey on that, did you salt it, too much sauce, not enough sauce, why the fuck did you decide on your own to add celery salt to my spice rub... You know, fun stuff like that.. But, i had been doing the cooking on mondays just to get the flow down and be able to see it all.. Now, I am retired and my back hurts and I am only cooking thursdays for steak night... 

But, yeh, we lose money on them.. I don't know exactly but, i do know its a few hundred bucks every monday which has translated to a few thousand dollars in liquor sales.. Plus, bartenders and runners are getting tips and happy, the place is literally wall to wall people so, it feels nice and gets the word out..  But, i can say, it's financially worth it as long as everyone drinks a beer.. anything that gets people drinking is a better time.  

And no, i have not been thanked.. We have been robbed, yelled at, walked out on and criticized on social media because of it but, no thank you's.. I am not holding my breath.. I understand, i mean I don't but, i get it.. When I was young, i was a dick I am sure.  I dont think I ever stole anything but, i am sure as a young kid drinking in public for the first time, I may have made some errors in judgement.  But, i never felt like i was owed anything.. I feel like people assume that everyone that owns something is this like wealthy gentry who can't be hurt or nothing you do can affect the place..  Then like greed builds up and there is this sort of frenzy and before you know it, people have this weird sense of survival mode take over..  It's so strange, we are all just animals.. It's amazing how fragile civil society is.we are all just one wing night away from the Lord of the Flies.  

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#889 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,226 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 04:22 PM

Another 25 cent wing night in the books. Some funny stories coming out. They are 25 cent wing with a beer purchase and eat in only. We’ve had to keep tweaking the offer with the amount of people coming in wifhout ordering drinks and either running off with baskets of wings when golf it’s not to go or ordering 36 at time and all sorts of stupid things. So, the guy tonight who was shocked and angry that he couldn’t order a hundred to go. Literally 100 wings to go. The table that ordered a beer at 610 and then waited until 730 to order wings but had to get another beer so left instead, I look forward to your yelp reviews. Ive been responding to the negative ones at the first place. Kind of funny, kind of mind blowing. The entitlement is just beyond. People constantly make me be a better parent.

I was planning to start $0.50 wings Monday by having someone get 500 of your wings and shuttle them across the bridge, is that ok?

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#890 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,175 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 04:33 PM

was that you last night!  Haha.. I am still very much of the belief that things need to be eaten fresh out of the fryer.. When someone brings mc donalds on to the airplane, I am less offended by the smell and more offended by the fact that they have let french fries sit in a bag for so long.. I often walk by the kitchen, grab a fry out of a basket thats sitting on the counter and if it's not scalding hot, i toss the basket and have them make another batch.. fries are to come out last on an order, not sit there waiting to get cold and soggy. But yeh, I couldn't imagine what someone does who takes wings home, how do you heat it up?  The microwave?  Jesus, they do, they do use a microwave.. This keeps me up at night. 

#891 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,020 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 06:37 PM

Fried stuff heats up pretty good in the CSO!

#892 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 08:40 PM

was that you last night!  Haha.. I am still very much of the belief that things need to be eaten fresh out of the fryer.. When someone brings mc donalds on to the airplane, I am less offended by the smell and more offended by the fact that they have let french fries sit in a bag for so long.. I often walk by the kitchen, grab a fry out of a basket thats sitting on the counter and if it's not scalding hot, i toss the basket and have them make another batch.. fries are to come out last on an order, not sit there waiting to get cold and soggy. But yeh, I couldn't imagine what someone does who takes wings home, how do you heat it up?  The microwave?  Jesus, they do, they do use a microwave.. This keeps me up at night. 

The nostalgist in me has an embarrassing affinity for floppy fries steamed a little too long in a paper bag. Reminds me of family road trips.

#893 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,886 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 11:13 PM

That’s crazy, it’s standard practice that you don’t get wings to go on a special offer night. People are dumb.

I was at an eat-all-you-can buffet yesterday, and of course there were signs saying the food was not to go, and if you took platefuls you didn’t eat you would be charged extra.

Reasonable people don’t need to be told that.

#894 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,175 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 01:28 PM

Oh you should see the paragraphs of conversations I have have had with a disgruntled customer who felt we weren't being "transparent"  in our wing special and though he has been coming to us for the last year thought his inability to get 36 wings to go on 25 cent wing night was the right time to yelp us.. .Eventually he agreed  "I'll remove the review but it will be a bit before I return."

#895 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,886 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 11:30 PM

There are assholes in this city. Why not buy 200 wings to take home and freeze?

#896 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,175 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 03:46 PM

Made the mother in law spaghetti with squid in a tomato sauce . Red pepper, a squeeze of orange and also the rind. Finished with parsley. Son got spaghetti with butter and cheese. I then spent the next several hours making mozzarella sticks and onion rings as per recipe testing. Also fried chiccarones, those hard plastic peace sign looking things.

#897 sweatshorts

sweatshorts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 03:06 PM

Nice seeing you last night Daniel -- great beer and great food as always.  Had the bacon potato, the meatloaf sandwich, and the hot chicken (my second fried chicken sandwich of the weekend I'm going to get gout soon).  All were great.

#898 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,175 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 03:25 PM

Really good to see you. I’m sorry I was so harried. I made the pasta, put the kid to bed and made my 10 pm flight! Actually didn’t have have time to eat it but, ended up eating an order of Turkey burger sliders at the airport hotel several hours later. Thank you as always for coming and supporting us. I wish we had a chance to drink a beer.

#899 The Flon

The Flon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 05:23 PM

GUYS....Luger's is fine but THE STEAK SPECIAL AT MEKELBURG'S IS REALLY GOOD.

#900 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,175 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 05:39 PM

GUYS....Luger's is fine but THE STEAK SPECIAL AT MEKELBURG'S IS REALLY GOOD.

Ha thanks buddy.. It was a disaster  yesterday... I arrived home from work and having to pick up my son at school,  my best friend coming in from Miami and then had to do steak night last night.. I stop by the shop to grab the steaks to prep and would you know it, steaks were not delivered.. So, I had to call my back up steak guy, go to the school, grab my son who wanted to go to the playground and make it seem like a fun adventure to go to the butcher shop... I have an emergency freeze dried astronaut ice cream bar in the car.  I can't find parking on smith so, I park at a hydrant and try to rush in.. But, son was in no mood to rush.. I throw him on my shoulders and we head into the butcher shop.. He know is pointing at things asking for explanations.   He now wants to eat a deer.. Daddy, daddy I want you to eat a deer... He is now asking me what every damn thing in the counter is.. He gets super excited by seeing python and rattle snake.. He wants me to eat that too.. I wait for the steaks... I rush out and no ticket..  

We drive home, my friend is waiting for me. Smith street is a parking lot..   "Daddy, am i going to die one day"  "Yup, everyone is going to die one day"  "Am I going to die like George Washington?"   "Yup, just like George Washington"   "Daddy, why do people die, do they die because they get sick and die?"  "People die for a whole host of reasons.  You can get hit by a car, you can get eaten by a lion, you can get sick, you can fall of a bridge..   The reason why mommy and I are so concerned about you and the reason why we are always teaching you things and wanting you to eat healthy and get enough sleep and the reason why we are so concerned about you crossing the street is because of all these things.. We want you to be safe and healthy and we want you to live as long as possible and be as healthy as possibe"   "What happens when you die, do you go into a grave"  "Yup, you go into a grave and that's pretty much it"  "That's super boring"  "it is, it's super boring that is why you have to have as much fun as you can, that is why you have to try to have the best life you possibly can because, you only get one" 

Friend is now waiting outside my house for me.. I tell him to go to meks.. I collect the rest of the stuff I need for my steak..  I had to butcher them and trim them... Someone had put my favorite knife into the dishwasher and it rusted and there were also sorts of dings.. And well, that would have ruined my night alone. 

And well, then I made a steak and you were the first one and well, I didn't have a thermometer and it was slightly undercooked for what I was trying for but, the flavor was there and I really appreciate you coming...   It's strange, steak has not been selling, I am proud of it but, it's not really moving.. I am considering aborting the steak night and trying something else.. I don't know, fucking wings, these people are their fucking wings... 

Here was a photo of your steak:  I like the debragga steak better but, they fucked me and well, I don't see going back to them any time soon. 

48991229583_677d33069a_z.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Clinton Hill