968 replies to this topic

#916 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,210 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 04:31 PM

25 cent wing night.. Woman walks in with a soda in her hand... I would like your 25 cent wings but, I do not drink... "Oh thats, fine, we have the wings on the menu but, unfortunately, you can't get the  25  cent wing special without purchasing a pint of beer"  "so let me get this straight, you are suggesting I break my 7 years of sobriety just to get your 25 cent wings"    "of course not, no one would possibly suggest that, I am simply saying, in order to qualify for the drink special, you must purchase a drink"  "Well, I hope you know I am leaving"  " i am so sorry, again, no one is suggesting you leave or drink alcohol, you will just have to purchase our wings at the regular price"  

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#917 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,292 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 04:43 PM

She'll now go and complain to the SLA that your special of beer + wings is just a run around the prohibition of more than 50% off at happy hour.  :wacko:

Offer a $15 NA beer.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#918 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,034 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 04:43 PM

Or buy the beer and give it to someone else.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#919 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 05:13 PM

Offer a mocktail or a fancy soda for the same price as an alcoholic drink. You would not be the first.

#920 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,999 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 08:45 PM

Offer a mocktail or a fancy soda for the same price as an alcoholic drink. You would not be the first.

Or in Germany, water. 😂
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#921 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,034 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 03:37 AM

So I'm coming back from visiting some friends in New Jersey, taking the bus with their daughter, who used to live in Crown Heights and now lives in Park Slope.

"Have you ever been to this place I discovered called Mekelburg's?"  she asked.  "The meat loaf sandwich is my favorite food in the world."

Bar Loser

MF Old

#922 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,210 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 04:09 AM

thats so cool!!!

#923 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 03:18 AM

Sneak, do you indulge the Youth when they seek to impress you with their urban knowledge?

#924 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,034 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 05:09 AM

I’m not nearly that good a person.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#925 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,034 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 05:12 AM

For better or worse, though, few of them catch the reference when I mutter, “‘Tis new to thee.”
Bar Loser

MF Old

#926 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 12:01 PM

Sneak, do you indulge the Youth when they seek to impress you with their urban knowledge?

Slightly off-topic, but last night I was sitting next to a couple of kids at Cervo's counter (it was their first visit). He started asking me about the wines and sherries I was drinking, whether I was a regular, blah blah blah.  I indulged because, well, his other half was really cute.

In any event, after a few minutes of conversation and finding out that her uncle had owned a "few restaurants" over the past 30 years, I asked who her uncle was.  And he is Pino Luongo - they were blown away by the fact that I knew who he was, and that he was a fairly important fixture of the NYC food scene back in the 90s.

#927 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,210 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 01:01 PM

wow, pino luongo, I may have mentioned I have everyone of his cookbooks and that he is a straight up inspiration of mine and the only reason I ever ventured to the upper east side outside of a going to a “special bodega” or two

#928 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 02:18 PM

wow, pino luongo, I may have mentioned I have everyone of his cookbooks and that he is a straight up inspiration of mine and the only reason I ever ventured to the upper east side outside of a going to a “special bodega” or two

He still has a few restaurants, including one on Sutton Place!

#929 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,613 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 09:05 PM

PL, oh yes!    His first book was instrumental in getting me to put recipes aside, consider flavor and the ingredients necessary to create that flavor, texture and what process(es) would result in that texture.    Life changing.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#930 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 02:25 AM

So Luongo's -niece- didn't grok that her uncle had been a legitimately big deal?

The young really are impatient to tread on our memories.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Clinton Hill