7 replies to this topic

#1 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,503 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:52 AM

I'm obviously a sucker for the refurbished old Village staple genre.  Here's another (with Figaro on the way!).

It's mainly a cocktail spot, but with food.

I went in planning to have some food and a cocktail.  I looked at the food menu and, although it looked alright, there was nothing I could bring myself to pay for.  So I ended up having three cocktails instead.

This is Naren Young's new spot.  He was down at Tales, however.  No matter.  His lieutenants are more than able executants.  It's an attractive list, a little bit neo-Italianate without going crazy.  Of course the way I ordered effected my perception of the style, but everything I had was crisp, balanced, and bursting with flavor.  I even had a vodka-based cocktail that I liked very much.

Recommended for the cocktails.  I'm sure the food is fine -- but I don't see it.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#2 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,310 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 10:58 AM

In case anyone wants to know what it looks like inside...

19201822084_dc54f02c8b.jpg

I think they did a nice job on the refurbishment.  And they do a nice job on the  cocktails...

19636413580_5173b4aa22.jpg

None of which were vodka based  ;) .

#3 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,503 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 02:42 PM

The bartender urged it on me.  It was her favorite thing on the list.  She said she'd substitute gin if I wanted.  I told her to make it they way it was intended -- but made her promise not to tell any of my friends I had it.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 87,272 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:09 PM

The place looks nice, but no attempt to preserve anything of Caffe Dante as far as I can see from the photo.

#5 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,503 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:28 PM

True.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#6 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,699 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:54 PM

Their "Winter 2017" cocktail – Smith & Cross, Caol Ila, vanilla, spiced honey, hot water, and truffle butter – is the most ill-conceived cocktail I've ever had.

The other cocktails I had were pretty good though.

I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#7 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,310 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 01:49 PM

Sounds disgusting. I avoid cocktails with butter (gimme bacon fat instead) and truffle butter would send me running.

#8 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,699 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 07:20 PM

It looked so weird on the menu that I thought it was worth a try. I was so, so wrong.
I didn't tip at Per Se either.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Village