18 replies to this topic

#1 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,830 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:50 AM

i have this private tour of an exhibit thing at the Smithsonian and the cleaning fairytm is coming with. not sure if it's a day trip or an overnight yet. right now looking for places to eat and things to see near the Smithsonian that would please an 83 year old who hates it when someone else pays (so gently priced but not necessarily cheap). if we stay overnight, i'll need to find lunch or dinner near arlington cemetery because she will want to visit my dad's grave. fun fun fun!  not driving so things need to be easy by metro or cabs. many thanks

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#2 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,719 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:56 PM

Near the Smithsonian is tough for food choices.

In all seriousness, the restaurants which make up the dining area in the National Museum of the American Indian, are fun and might be the ticket.

When you say things to see near the Smithsonian, what about the Smithsonian itself?  There might be a thing or two in a few of those museums. Julia's Kitchen!

I also really like the MLK Jr. Memorial, as well as the FDR Memorial.  And since your dad served, the National WW II Memorial can be quite moving.

#3 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,830 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:44 PM

the nmai is totally the ticket for me but given the nature of the exhibit that we are going to see and despite the fact that my aunt is honored that the curator extended a personal invitation for a behind the scenes tour, i suspect my aunt will want to hightail it out of the smithsonian for a change of scenery. i think i want to offer her some upbeat choices for lunch, etc. old people always make things so complicated...

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#4 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,719 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:15 PM

You're certainly not far from Jaelo and Zaytinya and Oyamel - Jose's restaurants are a lot of fun.

#5 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,830 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:16 PM

You're certainly not far from Jaelo and Zaytinya and Oyamel - Jose's restaurants are a lot of fun.

oh yes!

~Jack Handey

#6 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,922 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 03:12 PM

good dc wine shops near DuPont circle. Go.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#7 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,719 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 05:52 PM

There's a place on Connecticut - just north of Kramerbooks.  Connecticut Avenue Wines, I think.

#8 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,285 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:10 PM

Is weygandt's too far?

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#9 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,830 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:19 PM

do you all think i need a drink?

~Jack Handey

#10 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,719 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:21 PM

Is weygandt's too far?

If you're going up that far, might as well go to Ace.

#11 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,830 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 12:18 AM

looking for cool new lunch places near union station. think expense account lunch

~Jack Handey

#12 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,719 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 11:15 AM

Have you been to Union Market?

There are some fun places to eat in there. I especially liked Rappahannock Oyster Bar.

#13 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,794 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 03:18 PM

none of the places I’d want to go are open for lunch.

#14 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,719 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 03:57 PM

Tell us anyway.

#15 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,794 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 04:10 PM

I’m very curious about the new zieobold places and corduroy has always been solid, if kind of boring in an expense account way.