8 replies to this topic

#1 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,797 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 02:12 PM

This is the new Eben Freeman helmed AvroKO bar, located under Genuine Superette, on the corner of Mulberry and Grand Streets. 

A friend and I wanted to check it out last night, but it was a F&F thing going on.  We got in anyway, as my friend is a friend, or something like that.

There are a couple of cool concepts going on, including that cha-chunker machine, which Eben "invented," and which opens a can up so that a mini bottle of booze can be upturned into the can. As you drink the can's contents, the liquor drips in, creating your cocktail. (I had a Dark & Stormy, made with Zacapa).

You can grab a bottle of booze off a shelf. It's weighed when you do so, and weighed again when you're done - you pay for the booze by the gram. Then you can pick a modifier, mixer, whatever - and a cocktail will be made for you, or you can make it yourself. Evidently, you can even bartend if you want to.

Three's a lot going on here; it'll be interesting to see how it flies. We had 1 cha-chunker each, and a beer, and got the hell out before it got too crazy.

Grub Street pics are gonna be better than mine, so...

Grub Street 

#2 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,678 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 08:32 PM

Opening to the public tonight at 6 PM, FWIW.

Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#3 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,797 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:56 PM

Oh yeah, the drinks were comped last night.  Though we tipped as much as the drinks + tip would've been, which I think is the right thing to do at an

F & F bar opening.

#4 LiquidNY

LiquidNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 02:24 PM

This place is great. Stopped in last night after dinner at Yopparai. It was busy, but not quite packed. Eben was behind the stick. My first drink order was a grasshopper. The grasshopper at The Butterfly was amazing, and even though they don't have the same fancy ingredients here (like milk-clarified whatever) it was still pretty goddamn good. Next was an old fashioned - this wasn't quite a traditional old fashioned, he used some other kind of bitters in addition to angostura, but it was great. Last was a bartender's choice, a boozy brown drink served up, but I don't know what was in it. My date also had a couple dark & stormies. Somehow the bill only came to like $40.

Obviously I'm going back. Eben said he'd be there for "a while", and his nights are Tuesday through Friday.

Man about town.

#5 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,797 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 03:10 PM

Quick question - we had dinner at Yopparai one night last week (after drinks downstairs, at 151).

Do you think the quality level is maintaining? 

#6 LiquidNY

LiquidNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 03:28 PM

I do think the quality at Yopparai is the same. However, I always thought they were a little overrated and overpriced.

Man about town.

#7 LiquidNY

LiquidNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 03:41 PM

Almost forgot - I tried to order a Rusty Nail at Genuine Liquorette, but they don't have Drambuie! They have a pretty nice wall of scotch, though.

Man about town.

#8 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,102 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 03:52 PM

I keep looking at this topic title and thinking of this tune.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#9 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,513 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 06:28 PM

Almost forgot - I tried to order a Rusty Nail at Genuine Liquorette, but they don't have Drambuie! They have a pretty nice wall of scotch, though.

For that you need to go to Oleanders.

Bar Loser

MF Old