51 replies to this topic

#16 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,310 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 11:08 AM

Nick Lowe was good and vital in the '70s.  Yo La Tengo are still good and vital now.

Actually, his 2007 and 2011 albums are pretty good. He still writes a good song.

#17 The Flon

The Flon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 11:43 AM

Most excellent.

Really, it's Yo La Tengo -- but mainly I just want to see the restoration job on the interior of the theater.
The theater is absolutely stunning.

Saw Spoon there earlier this year.

My friend who invited me INSISTED we have dinner at Franny's first then take an Uber over as there are "no options nearby".

This thread has now gone full circle.

At least I got to go to Franny's! It was my first time.

#18 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,680 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:21 PM

Most excellent.

Really, it's Yo La Tengo -- but mainly I just want to see the restoration job on the interior of the theater.
The theater is absolutely stunning.

Saw Spoon there earlier this year.

My friend who invited me INSISTED we have dinner at Franny's first then take an Uber over as there are "no options nearby".

This thread has now gone full circle.

At least I got to go to Franny's! It was my first time.

Not to go too far ot (a MF specialty) but there is no easy way to get to the theater from the west 20s, is there? 

Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#19 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,514 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:25 PM

Sure there is.  It's right off both the IRT (2/5) and IND/BMT (Q).  Beverley Rd. stops on both.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#20 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,514 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:29 PM

Sure there is.  It's right off both the IRT (2/5) and IND/BMT (Q).  Beverley Rd. stops on both.

(I'd have taken the subway rather than Uber there from Franny's.  But I'm funny that way.)

Bar Loser

MF Old

#21 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,514 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:30 PM

Maybe there are a number of hidden gems in that neighborhood around the theater but it's by no means a given.

I think it's totally a given.  The last time I was down there -- more than 10 years ago -- I LOVED a lot of the Caribbean food I stuffed myself with (Jamaican, Trinidadi, Hatian).

Bar Loser

MF Old

#22 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,680 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:32 PM

I am not driving (or being driven) to Brooklyn on a Saturday night, as it could be  Sunday morning before I get there. And thank you, your directions superior to City Mapper which had me taking the B and walking 15 minutes to the theater. :wacko:

Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#23 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 06:03 PM

Back to that theater neighborhood.  In areas like that Yelp is actually a useful tool if you know how to parse the reviews.  You look for a consensus of balanced positive posts.  I've done that a number of times with great success.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#24 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,514 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 06:13 PM

But you forget, Lex:  as a Chowhound poster, you are imbued with the magic ability to determine which of the storefronts serves good food.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#25 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 06:40 PM

I think we all have a little of that in us.  About a year ago we were shopping along 86th St. in Bensonhurst.  It's an ethnic food wonderland where Chinese markets, Turkish, Russian, and Italian food stores sit side by side.  Great for people watching too.

We were driving back home along 18th Ave. when I decided a couple of slices of pizza would be nice.  18th Ave. used to be old line Italian but now there's an increased Asian presence.  Still, there are plenty of pizza joints.  We passed 4 or 5 which I rejected out of hand.  Some were too new.  Some were garish.  Some looked run down.  (Sorry Dom.)  Finally I found one which was just right - Zio Nino's near 72nd St.

It looked like it had been around since the 1970s but it was clean and bright.  The guy behind the counter looked like the owner, smiling and proud.  On the wall were about 50 pictures of the staff - all of them looked like they were having a good time.

We ordered a couple of slices and they were terrific.  I was disproportionately proud of myself.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#26 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,514 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 06:43 PM

Well, isn't that the point?  You think you couldn't do the same in the Caribbean wonderland in Flatbush?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#27 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:00 PM

I would like to think so.  I'll bet you could do it too.

#28 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,514 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:02 PM

Yeah, I think I can.

In fact, I intend to.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#29 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,514 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 04:05 PM

Just so nobody is misled, it's a walk between the Kings Theater and the Beverley Rd. IRT stop.  Not 15 minutes or anything like that -- but a walk.  Quite doable -- but a walk.

The Q stop, I think, is a little bit farther (but only a little).

Bar Loser

MF Old

#30 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,514 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 04:15 PM

Bamboo Express

Bamboo Express is a Jamaican-Chinese storefront on Flatbush Ave. at either the bottom of Prospect-Lefferts Gardens or the top of Flatbush.

Jamaican-Chinese is A Thing.  Jamaica has long had a significant Chinese community, as anyone knows who's either up on reggae history or has read or seen Dr. No.

Jamaican-Chinese seems -- on the evidence of this place, at least -- to be more a conscious fusion of Chinese with local cuisine than, say, Peruvian Chifas, where the Cantonese food is "different" from what we in the U.S. are used to mainly because local ingredients and predominant cooking techniques differ.

I had Jerk Pork Lo Mein and a white pudding.

The Lo Mein was exactly as you'd think.  The white pudding seemed to be stuffed mainly with rice.  I'm sure there were some nasty pig bits in there, but you couldn't taste them.  It came with a better-than-decent mango pepper condiment.

This isn't one of those cheap ethnic places where the cooking is so good you can't believe it.  I wouldn't go out of my way for it.  But it was something new and different to me, which I was happy to try.  Prices are gentle.

Bar Loser

MF Old

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Flatbush, Brooklyn