50 replies to this topic

#16 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,567 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:56 AM

If this isn't the best Mole Poblano in Prospect Heights, I want to know where the better is.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#17 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,275 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:59 AM

That doesn't seem to be an impressive claim. But I know what you mean
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#18 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,121 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 01:09 AM

Ok, so it took us 9 months, but we got there tonite.  Went early (6:30pm).  The outdoor tables were full and a couple of the indoor tables were as well, but we were the only ones who sat at the bar to eat.  Fine by us.  Got to talk to Jared, the owner that tends bar.  Josh, the owner that had Dessara on Smith St, showed up halfway in, so we got to talk to him as well.  Lina, the chef/owner, was on her way out the door when we sat (I don't think this was a cause and effect thing), so we didn't talk to her.  And Noah, the other owner, wasn't there.  I think that accounts for all of them.  :D

At any rate, the food & drink was quite good.  Ginny had a margarita on the rocks and I had a sour orange mescal one (yep, they have a full liquor license now).  Both were good... the mescal nice & smoky -- went well with the food.  We ordered 2 apps: the cheese flautas & a pork tamale.  The portions were huge & both were good.  I really liked the pork tamale -- nice sized chunks of tasty (non fatty) pork & a good somewhat spicy red sauce that didn't need any of the 3 side sauces to help the dish.  The flautas were crisp and the cheese tasty -- not a dish to run back for but a nice sharable bunch of them with guacamole & shredded lettuce.  I ordered one tongue (lengua) taco and it was excellent, with many cubes of tongue meat of nice texture and flavor in a fresh blue corn tortilla (Jared said that they make the tortillas in house from scratch in the mornings -- they were up there with Nixtamal's).  Somewhere in there, Jared asked if we'd like to try some fried grasshopper pieces and he may have been a little taken aback when both of us ate a small bowl of the crunchy toasty stuff.  We were pretty full so we only ordered one main dish -- the Enchiladas Rojas con Pollo -- the only main not served (thankfully) with rice and beans.  Still too much, as the order had 4 fat ones that we ate (2.5 for me, 1.5 for Ginny) & really liked.  Okay, so too much isn't enough and we ordered the coffee flan, which (of course) they doubled since there were 2 of us.  Really fresh coffee flavor and a very dense version of flan.

Overall, we really liked this place and will definitely return (& we recommend it).  Very friendly, very solid, very easygoing.  The kind of slight upscaling of home cooked ethnic food that makes sense and is an addition, not a trendy ripoff.

Disclosure: comp'ed a beer, the flan & the grasshoppers.  Happy hour pricing on the margaritas lowered the price a couple of dollars each as well, so the total cost, with tax/tip was $75.  Had I noticed that the flan wasn't charged for, I would've left a bigger tip.  

This space available… contact owner.

#19 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,567 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 10:46 PM

Unfortunate, but not surprising.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#20 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,567 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:49 PM

Denisse Lina Chavez is back!  Now they're describing her absence as "health-related" -- which is not the way Eater reported it in the post linked above.

Of course, for Eater to notice and attempt to resolve the discrepancy between what they reported in December and what they report now would require them to commit journalism.  Which is not their thing.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#21 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,567 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:17 PM

I guess they did say it was a "health issue" both times.  But it sure didn't sound like something temporary the first time.  It sounded like Chef Chavez was being overworked.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#22 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,567 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:28 PM

The Times presents it the same way Eater did, so I guess it was just a temporary thing.

The new Mezcaleria is unbelievably tempting.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#23 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:29 PM

The Times presents it the same way Eater did, so I guess it was just a temporary thing.

The new Mezcaleria is unbelievably tempting.

If you like mezcal. :unsure:

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#24 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,567 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:36 PM

If you think you don't like Mezcal, you should reconsider.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#25 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,121 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 01:27 AM

Well, she’s gone again & it looks like the separation is permanent. Same (other) owners, new name (Madre Cucina), new chef, revised menu. They combined the rooms & it looks better. We sat at the bar and ate very good food & I drank very nicely made margaritas (Ginny drank ok wine by the glass). It’s still a winner.

#26 Seth Gordon

Seth Gordon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 04:19 PM

Same (other) owners, new name (Madre Cucina), new chef, revised menu.

The new chef is from Mexicosina in the Bronx - very solid place, which in an odd coincidence used to be right next door to the old El Atoradero until Atoradero took over their spot. 

#27 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,275 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 04:25 PM

we almost went there saturday as I was having a strange craving for nachos.. But, we ended up going to a place in Billyburg to check out their late night offerings.. I wish I went here..  Any new menu items or any word on whats happening. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#28 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,121 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 05:34 PM

They said that their menu would be expanding. However, they had more than enough already. Even the chips are homemade and much tastier than any others. Same with the tortillas. The Cecina in my tacos was as good as the old Red Hook vendors & the guacamole was fresh and well made.

By the way, Meks seems to be well known there, including by one of the owners and the bartenders.

#29 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:38 PM

Im glad its still good. anyone know if thats still true of the gowanus location?

#30 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,121 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:03 PM

Im glad its still good. anyone know if thats still true of the gowanus location?

I'm pretty sure that they closed it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mexican, Prospect Heights, Brooklyn