30 replies to this topic

#16 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,067 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 05:11 PM

On a scale of 0 to 100 with 100 being "let's stop overfishing" and 0 being "let's develop robots that can fish everything empty", I think asia is far more likely to coordinate and enforce around 5 than around 95.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#17 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,695 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 05:50 PM

Why?

I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#18 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,382 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 09:00 PM

There used to be some posts in eG from a Japanese national that would help answer your question, taion, but iirc, they were removed. My answer would be too simplistic, and would likely be a little political and with a heavy side of stereotypes.

#19 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,695 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 10:22 PM

I mean, that's literally not coordination in some sense. The counterfactual anarcho-capitalist dystopia where someone gets absolute property rights over the fisheries and has some magical method of zero-cost enforcement doesn't lead to unsustainable overfishing, does it?

#20 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,790 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 10:29 PM

not as per the seafood watch list, i don't think. spanish mackerel, kanpachi, king mackerel, suzuki, hawaiian bigeye, black cod, sardine, california uni, white shrimp etc. are all at "good alternative" or better status there (to take some of the fish we ate and enjoyed at the meal reviewed above).

The list has fish that are good alternatives because they're farmed, or that would just not be on the menu at a serious place (black cod, wha?), but the point is when you look at the landing numbers from fishing fleets and at the projected per capita consumption over the next 20 years, it looks like avoiding just the fish with good PR is not particularly effective (and of course there's taion's pov which I adopt out of convenience - if you're not going to eat it, someone else will).

re black cod: sablefish probably; gindara is what we were told and it was our first time encountering it as nigiri; quite nice though.

p.s. aji is horse mackerel, not spanish mackerel and sawara is japanese spanish mackerel, not king mackerel.

right--i get it right most of the time and get it wrong when i trust to my memory or to the translations of chefs without much english.

as to the larger point: i guess i'd say that as a generally far less enlightened and discriminating sushi eater i find enough to enjoy without contributing to the extinction of fish that will probably go extinct anyway. your argument is that all wild fish are going to go extinct anyway so either don't eat any of them or eat 'em all. but they're not all in an equally dire state, right? i do take the larger point about fish with better p.r though. unagi has actually all but disappeared and no one ever made a fuss about that as is done with bluefin.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#21 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,067 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 10:21 AM

If you (meaning you as a globally coordinated fish eater) continue to eat them then they will all be in the same state soon. The picture is worse than imagined because many species and fisheries are not tracked officially, and the only data you see is this random fish with a name ending with T(d)ai used to be $30 a box 10 years ago and now there are simply not enough to fill a box... I agree tuna is in somewhat worse condition than most, but I think my position on singling it out vs just not eating fish (esp in the incredibly wasteful manner of sushi) is coherent.

eta: and yes, it's beyond curious that unagi marketing has taken a huge step up in recent years and that high end sushi is similarly proliferating globally just as the required fish are vanishing.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#22 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,695 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 02:27 PM

Why is the answer not just for all sushi to hit Masa prices?

#23 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,286 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 03:34 PM

Because the shape of the supply curve is wrong.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#24 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,695 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 04:24 PM

This is why we need unrestricted submarine warfare.

#25 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 01:44 AM

This is why we need unrestricted submarine warfare.

Submarine fish harvesting is likely on somebody's wish list. Giant Dyson unit on the front end, sucks, sends the fish straight into the factory ship.
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#26 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,790 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:37 PM

a mori alumnus is serving excellent sushi in encino. i recommend shin sushi highly for the person looking for a good omakase that does not go very far past $100/head.

shin-sushi-menegi.jpg

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#27 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 04:32 PM

This is stunning to look at but how do you eat it?   

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#28 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,790 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:22 PM

i put it in my mouth and chewed it. seemed to work.

~homer simpson

#29 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:37 PM

Why did I know that was coming?

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#30 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,790 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:45 PM

i'm genuinely not sure what the confusion is. this is served as nigiri (same size as any of the fish pieces that followed). pop it in your mouth and chew. we'd never encountered this (japanese chives) as a start to a sushi omakase before--it was nice (and one of the more expensive items).

~homer simpson