22 replies to this topic

#1 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 01:37 PM

We need a new home printer.  We don't use it much.  When we do, it's usually for photos.  No need for fax.

I've gotten a lot of recommendations for Epsons, and I was looking at this one which prints up to 13 x 19.  On the other hand, for the same price, I can get an all-in-one, with scanning, but a smaller paper size  (11 x 17).

Any thoughts?

#2 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 01:56 PM

yeah. Use a third party to print and mail them to you. Much more cost efficient especially if you aren't doing a lot or often.

The ink alone kills it.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#3 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 02:30 PM

Had an Epson R3000 for a while.

Second what Bonner said – they're fiddly, slow, and both ink and good photo paper are extremely expensive.

Would not recommend unless you're doing a ton of prints, or are very picky about your choice of paper stock.

I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#4 Blondie

Blondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 04:17 PM

I agree with Bonner and taion. Making nice prints at home is harder and more expensive than it looks, so I've given up and send everything out now.

Sign up for the AdoramaPix email list. They have regular sales on printing and do an amazing job. 

BlondieNY.com

"Finally something intelligent."

#5 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:47 PM

Interesting.  Never considered that.  

#6 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:22 PM

The one real caveat I'd add is that if you're planning on using fine art paper for your photo prints, the markup from third-party services adds up extremely quickly. There are some very, very nice inkjet photo papers, and if you're planning on using those, the crossover point for even a very nice photo printer being cheaper is actually not that many prints – so keep that caveat in mind.

#7 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:39 PM

Taion what kind of paper are you thinking of?

#8 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:51 AM

The top-end inkjet fine art papers – the first few that come to mind are the Epson Hot Press Bright, the Epson Cold Press Natural, the Epson Exhibition Fiber, and the Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta.

At 13 x 19, from someone like Bay Photo, you're paying 56.60$ per print: https://www.bayphoto...ine-art-prints/

At B&H, 65.95$ gets you a box of 25 sheets of the EF in that size: http://www.bhphotovi..._Paper_for.html

#9 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:57 AM

Even at a more practical 8.5 x 11, it's 25.40$ per print v 25.95$ for a box of 25 sheets.

The flip side is that you really have no good reason to print on this sort of paper for anything personal. There's just no point; it'd be massive, massive overkill.

#10 Blondie

Blondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 01:01 AM

But once you get into the fine papers, you really also need to be doing monitor calibration, adding custom paper profiles, etc. You could luck into some decent prints if all goes well, but to get consistent output, there's a decent learning curve.

BlondieNY.com

#11 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 01:18 AM

Epson has profiles for their papers for their printers. And you should be calibrating your monitor anyway if you're doing any serious photo work :D

#12 Blondie

Blondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 01:50 AM

That's what I'm saying. We do all that shit for the stuff we print on a film production and it's a pain in the ass. It's not as easy as sticking the Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta in the tray and hitting "Print". 

I just assumed Stone wanted good quality output for low effort, but I hope he corrects me if I'm wrong.

BlondieNY.com

#13 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 03:29 AM

Think of how good your selfies will look on Exhibition Fiber, though! :D

#14 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 03:55 PM

I want to make nice photos that I can frame and put on the wall.  I don't think I'll have a need for high-end paper or $56 prints.

Even at the $10 prices from Adorama, I'm going to want to print most photos myself.  

Is there any way to estimate the ink-cost for, say, an 8.5 x 11 color photo?

I need a new printer no matter what, the question is whether I go for something in the $100 range or the $300 range.  Is there a noticeable difference in photo quality for the extra $150?  

#15 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 07:07 PM

Just buy a cheap inkjet for home printing. < 100 bucks

an 8x10 on standard paper is 1.50 from Adorama

The canon Pixma Pro-100 which is the wirecutter's best budget choice for photo printing is 370. Each ink refil is 107 bucks. An individual color is 17

figure paper is 20 cents a sheet. Figure the incremental cost of the printer is 270. According to these guys the cost of printing an 8*10 from ink is 90 cents for this printer, so a net cost of 1.10 - so you end up ahead if you make 675 8x10s.  It'll actually be more than that because they assume 14$ an individual color. Also that assumes your labor is free and you'll never have a misprint.

I mean I learned this the hard way - actually even worse because I had a pigment ink printer where they cartridges dried up if they weren't used regularly.