23 replies to this topic

#16 changeup

changeup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 02:59 PM

i think it's called squirrel fish because it looks like the tail of a squirrel (which it does). seems to be another dish that's become popular elsewhere: our local favourite sichuan restaurant has it on their menu as well.

Yes, this photo is actually from a restaurant in Dalian, where the seafood is incredible.  But my Shanghainese local food experts (to qualify you must simply be Shanghainese and eat a lot) insist it's "theirs".  Given the sweetness of it, I'm happy to not debate it, but who knows?

Good call on the squirrel tail thing - never occurred to me, but true.

#17 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,549 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 05:14 PM

this is terrific. thanks for taking the time to put this together.

what's on top of the fried fish?

You mean the squirrel fish?  They take a lot of time to cut the fish - sort of like a (pardon the analogy) bloomin' onion.  Then they batter it and deep fry it, nothing more on top.   It's a literal translation, so someone at some point thought this made it look like a squirrel?   Then it's a vinegary sweet sauce that gets poured - more vinegary than what we're accustomed to.  No idea what gives it the reddish color.

This dish is actually pretty common in Shanghainese restaurants in New York City (which is not to claim it's anywhere near as good here).

Bar Loser

MF Old

#18 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 05:34 PM

Thanks Changeup.  Much appreciated.  (And Daniel, thank you for your many photos as well.)

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#19 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:25 PM

This is great! Please carry on as long as you have stuff to post.

The crab roe .. is it roe or what we call brown crab meat or kanamiso in Japanese?

#20 changeup

changeup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 10:34 PM

This is great! Please carry on as long as you have stuff to post.

The crab roe .. is it roe or what we call brown crab meat or kanamiso in Japanese?

I'm by no means a cook who actually knows a recipe.  But having eaten these mitten crabs, I would say its head fat (stepped on no doubt with cheaper stuff to extend it).   The roe comes from the females only, and is hard and orange.  It's expensive, the females are slightly more preferred even though they are smaller - simply cause the vast majority of the experience of eating these crabs comes from the fat & (for females) the roe.   The meat isn't actually all that much, and hard to get at.

Since I'm not super big on fat/roe, I'll take a snow/king/dungenous crab over this crab any day.   But if that yellow liquid and crunchy orange roe is your thing, these crabs are actually quite the thing.

#21 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 05:07 AM

A friend heads to Shanghai next week for 1 month for work-related reasons 

Shanghai is a big city so I asked him where's he staying ... and he decided to rent 2 different apartments (to experience different parts of the city) and to stay in a fancy hotel for a week when his wife visits ... hence he will be staying at the following locations ... 

1. near the West Nanjing Road Metro station

2. near the Hyatt on the Bund Hotel

3. at the Shanghai Jianyeli Capella Hotel

Any and all food / resto / street food thoughts will be passed along ... from good casual options (especially near 1 and 2) ... to finer things of course ... and everything in between if it's better than the average bear ... and he is into all types of environments from high to low ... but he probably leans more casual most of the time 

#22 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,066 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 11:06 AM

I’ve stayed a considerable amount of time at location 1 and 2. I never thought to write anything down. It’s all good but, shoot sorry.
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#23 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 10:25 PM

I’ve stayed a considerable amount of time at location 1 and 2. I never thought to write anything down. It’s all good but, shoot sorry.

*** Breaking News *** Breaking News ***

Daniel ! Daniel !! Daniel !!!

My friend in Shanghai is about to get Shanghai-ed because he’s about to do all this hoity-toity Shanghai shit and he’s worried he’s going to get stomach flu and I’m worried that he’s pigging out without me and that he’s going to get a severe case of UV radiation poisoning and his wife isn’t there to heal him as she’s one of the world's leading laser experts ... he doesn’t know what the hell he’s getting himself into and we need to help him like crazy before he's a dead duck on a ship to nowhere !

He needs to be doing the real deal for dinner, Daniel, not this Ultra-Michelin Mirage Mashugana ! That is, he needs to be slumming it for supper in Shanghai, but slumming it real good. Got it ? 

Hey buddy, I thought we were BFF so WTF is going on, man ! 

Come on dude !

Do Chambo a solid and at least shout out a stream of consciousness* soliloquy of what dishes he should be snarfing down and swallowing for supper in Shanghai ... how are the sandwiches, sailor ?  and not too much slimy shit cuz he’s more of a scaredy-cat and doesn’t want to be eating all that but you know what I mean ... or just ask around and see what your buddies think and get me a resto name or two or three or 23 ...

Details to follow to make full sense of the above ... but in the interim ... trust me, Daniel ... this is serious business ...

If you don’t know the names of these joints in locales 1 and 2 at least  stream me a blast of the bad-ass dishes he should be expecting, eating or experimenting with ... come on Dr. Daniel ... write me up some Rxs ... send me something ... a few Chinese love letters at least 

Chambo ain't the type to come up empty when his friends are in deep doo-doo ... nor R U !!!

*your consciousness not mine cuz I’m already on that program if you haven't been paying attention

#24 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 11:37 PM

Details to follow to make full sense of the above ... but in the interim ... trust me, Daniel ... this is serious business ...

Here's the details, Daniel !

I'm a man of my word ...

j27wGxV.png

===
===

AzKF5xM.jpg

===
===

qN5VFxe.jpg

===
===

9EWMsZz.png

===
===

IrVsdP3.png

===
===

g7rtHk3.png

I got a bit cheeky with him at the very end there ... showing him my lunch plate today ... but that was just between joue et moi et je joue pas meme s'il semble que je crie only de jouissance et si tu penses que j'ai aucun sens je t'assure que je jouit de tous mes facultés ... a peu près ... plus ou moins, mon ami  ... so let's get serious around here, okay ... and let's get to work ...