89 replies to this topic

#16 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 04:48 PM

I ate there once.  I was mildly disappointed.  It wasn't bad, but I think a place like this has to be really really good to have a reason to exist at all.  And it just wasn't.

this is how I feel about stone park cafe. except we've gone more than once.

#17 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 04:58 PM

I don't think it's excitingly offensive, either.  It just reflects a douchey view of food and dining that I find contemptible.

I saw it yesterday on Eater and agree with that.  I thought it was more ignorant rather than offensive.  Ignorant in an embarrassing way.  The Infatuation sets itself up as an authority but that review reveals that their tastes are really pretty narrow.  I only read them occasionally but I honestly wasn't surprised.

A number of the comments on Eater were disappointing.  The authors of the Infatuation aren't alone in their ignorance.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#18 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 05:54 PM

I asked a bunch of other Chinese kids of my demographic. Nobody reported finding it offensive, and a few said that they thought the stereotype had a shade of truth to it.

I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#19 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 06:16 PM

The really stupid stuff came at the start of the review.

Eating Chinese food in this city is generally an exercise in extremism. You can get gross and roll around Chinatown or Flushing. You can go big and have yourself an out of body spice experience at Mission Chinese or Han Dynasty. Or you can overload on delivery, which prevents anything productive from happening the day after. It's rare you find a hip, cool, fun Chinese restaurant free of meat sweats and MSG. Kings County Imperial may not be traditional Chinese, but it officially serves our favorite Chinese in New York City.

Kings County Imperial is owned by a pair of non-Chinese Chinese food enthusiasts who wanted to share their passion for Chinese flavors with the world, even though they weren’t necessarily brought up with them. We’re glad they did. This is Chinese food that won’t put you in a coma afterwards - you could maybe even eat more than once in a single week.

Yes, there is a lot of bad Chinese food to be found in NYC.  There's also a lot of very good food to be had.  The fact that the Infatuation boys don't know this undermines their credibility.

Again, I see this less as racism (although there's a component here) and more as ignorance.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#20 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 06:19 PM

The racism I have found is people basically saying, the Infatuation is for White Bro-dudes, so naturally, it's ok they are racist because, you know, most white males are racist.. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#21 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 06:22 PM

"most white males are racist" is racist.

#22 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,364 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:12 PM

"most bros are racist" is probably better said

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#23 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,969 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:27 PM

I think it's more clueless than racist.

Or maybe just douchey.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#24 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:44 PM

Is ""most white males are racist" is racist" racist?

#25 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,969 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:21 PM

Yeah. (Unless it's true.) (Which I doubt.)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#26 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:51 PM

The statement or the meta-statement?

#27 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:51 PM

Or the question about the meta-statement?

#28 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,969 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 09:09 PM

The statement.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#29 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 09:19 PM

10843666054_fe56bda4b3_o.gif

#30 sweatshorts

sweatshorts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:19 PM

https://twitter.com/...121517702283264