74 replies to this topic

#1 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 87,006 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 01:57 PM

I couldn't find a general topic on this (other than with a time restriction).  Eater is having a barbecue week, which includes a "thumbnail" history by Sietsema (which skips from Pearson's to Hill Country, ignoring Dinosaur, Rub, Bonelick Park, Daisy May, etc) and an overview of the current scene--and its "cultural implications"--by English Nick.

Made me wonder which places people here currently rate.  My most recent experiences have been at Hill Country out of sheer convenience.  I had deep reservations about Mighty Quinn, based on several visits.  It's a while since my trips to Arrogant Swine.  Oh, and John Brown Smokehouse was terrible.

#2 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,094 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:14 PM

Mighty Quinn's probably my favorite based on 4 or 5 visits.  I've liked some of Blue Smoke's offerings over the years. And I've definitely had some commendable moist brisket at Hill Country, while my one visit to Hometown was disappointing. I like what Fletcher's has to offer. John Brown was terrible to me too. 

Somewhere in those articles it does say that it's somewhat about timing and getting there early for fresh stuff is important. The problem with that is that sometimes early means you're getting what's left over from last night.

The Englishman is really taking to hiding the tatts these days (as well as growing some hair).

#3 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,025 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:17 PM

Arrogant Swine is probably my favorite.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:19 PM

I've had a bunch of very good meals at hometown. I think the brisket is the best thing they have but apart from the lamb I've liked all the meat I've tried. good potato salad too.

#5 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,094 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:22 PM

I've had a bunch of very good meals at hometown. I think there brisket is the best thing they have but apart from the lamb I've liked all the meat I've tried. good potato salad too.

There's no doubt this is worth another try.  I didn't have the brisket, and the ribs I had the one time were really dry.  Hmmm, maybe lunch today? 

#6 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 87,006 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:23 PM

I did like Brisket Town, but it was a matter of going very early to be sure of getting the brisket.

#7 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 87,006 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:24 PM

The Englishman is really taking to hiding the tatts these days (as well as growing some hair).

Is he smiling for the camera more?

Nick-Solares-by-Nick-Solares.jpg

#8 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:24 PM

I've had the brisket and the potato salad maybe six times and it's been consistently good.

#9 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 87,006 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:28 PM

I was surprised The Shop on Starr St never gets mentioned, but I see it closed.  Reasonable excuse.

#10 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 87,006 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:30 PM

Hometown is not too handy without a car.  I'm surprised they get enough business to be open all day every day.

#11 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,025 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:30 PM

Ikea manages.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#12 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,094 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:34 PM

Yeah, I was surprised the last time I went for lunch.  Nice crowd and a long line to get food.

Midweek, I might add.

#13 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 87,006 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:38 PM

Wow.

#14 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:40 PM

they've gotta be hoping fairway survives.

#15 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,094 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:46 PM

they've gotta be hoping fairway survives.

Or Tesla.