125 replies to this topic

#1 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,730 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 11:07 AM

From the Missoulian, posted by a cheffy friend of mine.

How the Hipsters...

Sipping on their lattes, deep in conversation, they care more about the scene than the cilantro. They might purchase a breakfast taco, but no basil. Maybe a pint of strawberries, but no rhubarb. And in their unhurried schmoozing they clog the aisles like arterial plaque, impeding the flow of serious shoppers looking for actual produce. When you factor in the strollers, sometimes two abreast, and perhaps an impromptu reunion from the previous night’s jam band concert, it’s a recipe for gridlock. And that’s if you can even get to the market in the first place, because parking absolutely sucks. The serious produce shoppers, according to the Post, would sooner just go to the store than deal with the festive throng. And the millennials, statistically, are more likely to go out to eat.

#2 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 01:29 PM

From the Missoulian, posted by a cheffy friend of mine.

How the Hipsters...

Sipping on their lattes, deep in conversation, they care more about the scene than the cilantro. They might purchase a breakfast taco, but no basil. Maybe a pint of strawberries, but no rhubarb. And in their unhurried schmoozing they clog the aisles like arterial plaque, impeding the flow of serious shoppers looking for actual produce. When you factor in the strollers, sometimes two abreast, and perhaps an impromptu reunion from the previous night’s jam band concert, it’s a recipe for gridlock. And that’s if you can even get to the market in the first place, because parking absolutely sucks. The serious produce shoppers, according to the Post, would sooner just go to the store than deal with the festive throng. And the millennials, statistically, are more likely to go out to eat.

Who'da thought: a review of Ferry Plaza in the Missoulian!

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#3 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,015 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 02:39 PM

I feel the same way about the old folks at Zabar's and Citarella.. It's 6 o clock at night, why the hell do you wait until rush hour to do your shopping... You are retired, you don't need to be on our ridiculous work day schedule.. 

It's a free economy, there seems to be enough for both the Meat Market and the Plant Market.. No doubt, young people are annoying and cook less. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#4 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 02:43 PM

I feel the same way about the old folks at Zabar's and Citarella.. It's 6 o clock at night, why the hell do you wait until rush hour to do your shopping... You are retired, you don't need to be on our ridiculous work day schedule.. 

+1      Same with those who shop and have hair done on weekends when they have all week to do it. 

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#5 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,425 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 03:02 PM

"Get outta da way." :D

#6 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,963 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 03:03 PM

That's why we retirees eat dinner by 6pm. We're trying to stay out of the way & not interfere with the youngstas.

This space available… contact owner.

#7 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,730 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 03:16 PM

Personally, I like Union Square around lunchtime in the summer. That's when there's the greatest "scenery." And I myself don't have much problem shoving through the throngs and throwing a few elbows. My real wish is that people leave their dogs at home, as I think it's really not that much fun for the mutt.

#8 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,695 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 03:19 PM

Pretty sure the root issues with parking far predate the hipsters...

I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#9 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,068 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 03:38 PM

There's been an ongoing process of markets being transformed from pure retail to retail + dining / snacking that's driven by a combination of nobody cooking and tourists. The nyc greenmarkets are in a tough spot because they're not allowed to do that, but of course you see it in Chelsea Market and in many places in Europe because the same demographic and suburban big box driven processes affect everyone. 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#10 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,730 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 04:37 PM

There's been an ongoing process of markets being transformed from pure retail to retail + dining / snacking that's driven by a combination of nobody cooking and tourists. The nyc greenmarkets are in a tough spot because they're not allowed to do that, but of course you see it in Chelsea Market and in many places in Europe because the same demographic and suburban big box driven processes affect everyone. 

Right.  I hope they don't change the "rules" for nyc greenmarkets to allow cooking, other than the demo stuff they already allow.

#11 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,391 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 04:54 PM

Not trying to stir up any pots, but this was exactly Suzanne's complaint about the New Amsterdam market.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#12 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 04:58 PM

Not trying to stir up any pots, but this was exactly Suzanne's complaint about the New Amsterdam market.

Thanks for remembering.

Right.  I hope they don't change the "rules" for nyc greenmarkets to allow cooking, other than the demo stuff they already allow.

+1

And it's nice to not feel so alone, even if some of those who agree are a couple thousand miles away.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#13 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,286 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 05:14 PM

I think that's really shortsighted.  If markets need prepared food to work, then we should encourage that.  You just don't want to manage it to the detriment of the farmers.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#14 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,286 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 05:14 PM

yeah, and she's still wrong about it.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#15 Melonius Thunk

Melonius Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:53 AM

Chelsea market is a total disaster for anyone who want to buy food.  It is thronged with 30 something tourists taking photos of everything, blocking the way and filling the chairs.  The Lobster Place has more lookers than buyers.  Taking pictures of fish and bumping into shoppers. The line for the loo is about 30 minutes.  I shop like a hunter--find it buy it and leave.  But the pleasure of shopping there has diminished over the years despite the good stuff.

"It has a soupy texture and looks rather messy. It stinks a little and is arguably the most delicious dish on earth."__Ptipois