190 replies to this topic

#136 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 06:58 PM

I had actually intended to have some Peasant Stock soup and a tamale from La Puebla, but both stalls were closed by 6 (Veteran's Day? SOP?). I'll try one of the fish bento boxes before I give up on the place entirely - I think there was a salted mackerel one last night. Maybe the guy's a better cook? I've only been there when Ni was staffed by women.

The whole market used to shut down well before six, until some of the (then) newer vendors like Saxelby's lobbied for longer hours,
Yes, I remember those dark days. I moved to the LES in (I think) 2005. Someone (maybe it was Anne) introduced the shocking notion that some of the potential Essex Market customers might possibly work outside of the home and want to shop after 5.

#137 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,853 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 08:01 PM

the beer list on the grand delancey website is probably the best one I’ve seen in new york. I know you were all wondering.

#138 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,204 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 08:21 PM

Lobsters said to be between $14-18/lb, which all in for convenience isn't bad. I've paid the same on the Cape in bad seasons.

$12.99/lb today. I also think I saw mention of a 2lb lobster for $16.99, but my photo does not bear this out, so I may have hallucinated it.

I don't know how that price is even possible, but that's their price at Aqua Best too, somehow.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#139 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,849 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 12:00 AM

Yes, Anne was one of the lobbyists.

#140 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:07 PM

Lobsters said to be between $14-18/lb, which all in for convenience isn't bad. I've paid the same on the Cape in bad seasons.

$12.99/lb today. I also think I saw mention of a 2lb lobster for $16.99, but my photo does not bear this out, so I may have hallucinated it.

I don't know how that price is even possible, but that's their price at Aqua Best too, somehow.

I went back today - lobster prices are 1 1/4 lb for $12.99 and 2 lb for $16.99. In other interesting news, Maine uni! also geoduck! Had a nice chat with the guy, who encouraged me to make suggestions for what he should stock and told me I could have the uni shucked at the counter. I haughtily informed him that I have watched several YouTube videos and can shuck my own damn uni (I have done this exactly once and am thus an expert). But I said I would be very interested in having the geoduck prepared for me, 'cause it looks pretty daunting and also costs $35/lb, so I'm not gonna buy a whole one.

cBc4hDE.jpg

T. Nixtamal is STILL NOT OPEN AND I AM NOT PLEASED.

#141 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,999 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 11:37 AM

I went back today - lobster prices are 1 1/4 lb for $12.99 and 2 lb for $16.99. In other interesting news, Maine uni! also geoduck! Had a nice chat with the guy, who encouraged me to make suggestions for what he should stock and told me I could have the uni shucked at the counter. I haughtily informed him that I have watched several YouTube videos and can shuck my own damn uni (I have done this exactly once and am thus an expert). But I said I would be very interested in having the geoduck prepared for me, 'cause it looks pretty daunting and also costs $35/lb, so I'm not gonna buy a whole one.

cBc4hDE.jpg

T. Nixtamal is STILL NOT OPEN AND I AM NOT PLEASED.

Nixtamal should open this coming Monday.

I thought some of the prices at Essex Pearl were insane - they were asking like $5 per oyster?

#142 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 01:07 PM

Yeah, in a neighborhood with an abundance of dollar oyster happy hours, that won't fly. But the steamers are $10/lb, and those uni are $10 each, which I think is about what I paid at Lobster Place.

#143 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,999 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 02:17 PM

Maybe Essex Pearl read this thread?  Some of the fish (yesterday) looked a little tired.

We can't think of a better way to spend our Saturday.  Can you?

Join us this Saturday, 12/7 for all day $1 Oysters. 

Sample our selection of east & west coast oysters and pair them with an $8 glass of Julien Braud Muscadet or a $4 Narraganset Lager.

11:30 am - 11:00 pm.

#144 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 04:39 PM

Whoa! I feel somewhat influential, all of a sudden. This is unfamiliar.

#145 greenspace

greenspace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 09:43 PM

I’m going to have to wait a while and have another visit before really opining on the tacos. They were super friendly but clearly not operating at 100%. TacoMix across Delancey was way more satisfying.

------------------------------

“We wanted a higher level of culinary discourse”

"I was much further out than you thought

And not waving but drowning."

#146 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 12:49 AM

In which I and my moderately larger partner in crime visit the Essex Market...by night!

v046Dce.jpg

It was crowded at 6:45 on Friday, when we arrived, and only slightly less crowded when we left at 9:30. I am happy about this. We took full advantage of Essex Pearl's all-day dollar oyster / $8 muscadet special and had two dozen oysters, a couple of Jonah crab claws, and an order of excellent biscuits. Happy Hour is now a regular thing: M-F, 4-6. There were five oyster options listed, but they were out of one (Kushi? Fuzzy? Something like that.) Liked: Kumamotos (I already knew this), Raspberry Points, Gigacups. Did not like: Sweet Petites. Service was a little slow 'cause it was kind of a mob scene. We had to wait 20:00 for seats, but they'll text you, so you can walk around and muse about who the hell is gonna spend $3.00 for a golf-ball-sized piece of cake on a stick

Oa4rrh6.jpg  rU8wlNs.jpg

Chef Bun Cheam was in the house. The couple seated next to us at the bar seemed to know him - the male half was also in the restaurant industry in some capacity. They got a lot of free stuff. So, I was able to SEE most of the menu, at least. The conch ceviche and shrimp fritters - which look a lot like clumps of fried onion strings - are now on my short list for next time.

HnMMMvv.jpg

@greenspace is, unfortunately, right about Tortilleria. I was very much looking forward to it, but my taco was sullied by a pretty gross chipotle mayo, which interfered with my enjoyment of the shrimp (good) and the tortilla (great, obviously). Next time, I'll ask that the sauce be omitted. And Slice Joint served me a very fine, very hot, larger-than-expected piece of pizza. Two snaps up.

51PHIeS.jpgnsPsHOt.jpg

#147 greenspace

greenspace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 02:24 AM

Funny because we got a small not so great slice from slice joint. Ironic because it was an add on for he tacos and the last slice we had from there was AWESOME. This one sucked.

------------------------------

“We wanted a higher level of culinary discourse”

"I was much further out than you thought

And not waving but drowning."

#148 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,999 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 04:00 AM

That’s called consistency.

#149 Jesikka

Jesikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 10:17 PM

I’m going to have to wait a while and have another visit before really opining on the tacos. They were super friendly but clearly not operating at 100%. TacoMix across Delancey was way more satisfying.

Can you buy tortillas?

#150 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 11:17 PM

Can you buy tortillas?

If you're referring to Tortilleria Nixtamel, yes, $4/lb, which I was told was about 16 tortillas. And if that's too much, they'll sell you a half pound.