And not waving but drowning."

#152 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,013 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:40 AM

It's the major reason I'm happy Nixtamal is here.

#153 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,013 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 11:15 PM

Nixtamal, in addition to the potential for tortillas (today was touch and go), has a nice rotisserie with some good-looking chicken on it; remains to be seen whether it tastes as good as it looks.

And right next to it, also downstairs, is the Puerto Rican place - with a rotisserie and chickens as well.

This (specifically, The Market Line downstairs from Essex Market) may turn out to be a market geared to the afternoon into night time frame, as opposed to morning into evening. Which is fine.  

Bought some guanciale from Ends Meats, and can't wait for my next amatriciana.

#154 Seth Gordon

Seth Gordon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 02:57 AM

I used a bunch in a rabbit bolognese a couple weeks ago. Beautiful, heady, funky stuff.

Their pancetta is great too. Actually, pretty much everything there.

#155 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,013 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 11:25 AM

I used a bunch in a rabbit bolognese a couple weeks ago. Beautiful, heady, funky stuff.

Their pancetta is great too. Actually, pretty much everything there.

It all looks that way - coppa, lardo, pancetta - they've got that covered for sure.

Upstairs, my favorite is most probably Formaggio...really nice people, good product, interesting cheeses with lots of turnover. They've got a Basque saucisson that's just great, and the cheeses from the Pyrenees are fine too. Yesterday, I wanted some of the British stuff that I've purchased and really liked, but they were sold out.

second fave has to be Pain d'Avignon. They definitely make one of my favorite ryes in town.

#156 Seth Gordon

Seth Gordon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 06:52 PM

It all looks that way - coppa, lardo, pancetta - they've got that covered for sure.

Upstairs, my favorite is most probably Formaggio...really nice people, good product, interesting cheeses with lots of turnover. They've got a Basque saucisson that's just great, and the cheeses from the Pyrenees are fine too. Yesterday, I wanted some of the British stuff that I've purchased and really liked, but they were sold out.

second fave has to be Pain d'Avignon. They definitely make one of my favorite ryes in town.

Oh yeah. Big fan of Formaggio. Good people, good stuff. There's a butter there that I like - I can't remember the name, it comes in rounds in gold foil. It's not, like, the Bordier butter at Mercerie, but it'll do for the home game edition. 

Ends will be great for the house-made goods, been going to the one in Sunset Park for awhile, now I've got it in both my regular stomping grounds. Luis for everyday meat and Ends for those fancy nights. (I'm having trouble bringing myself to try the Guys With Hats butcher upstairs. They may be great, but there's some mental block stopping me. Maybe it's the hats.)

Now if only Muncan Foods would expand to the 'hood... 

#157 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,013 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 07:23 PM

(I'm having trouble bringing myself to try the Guys With Hats butcher upstairs. They may be great, but there's some mental block stopping me. Maybe it's the hats.)

I can't deal with the hats either. Nor the whole I look like it's the 1880s schtick.

I found Luis to have some nice Colorado lamb, keeps in the walk-in.

#158 greenspace

greenspace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 09:41 PM

I appreciate Luis, but so much of his meats are just commodity commodity.

------------------------------

“We wanted a higher level of culinary discourse”

"I was much further out than you thought

And not waving but drowning."

#159 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,878 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 11:39 PM

No argument, but Luis also has many meats you won’t find in the average commodity-driven supermarket aisle (big pieces of pork belly cut to order, whole goat legs and racks, cow’s feet, pig’s feet and tails, artisanal morcilla), and Luis is still winning on prices.

If you want heritage pork, look elsewhere for sure.

#160 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,878 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 11:43 PM

Really like Formaggio too. The butter, Beurre de Baratte? Working on some right now I think I got from Foster Sundry; also Bedford Cheese carries it.

The old market, I picked up the petit baguette from Pan D’Avignon regularly.

#161 Seth Gordon

Seth Gordon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 11:45 PM

The butter, Beurre de Baratte?

That’s the stuff! The “Le Meunière” brand, I think. (Until La Mercerie will sell me tubs of Bordier to-go.)

#162 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,013 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 03:19 PM

I appreciate Luis, but so much of his meats are just commodity commodity.

Also has Bobo chickens at a reasonable price - good for stock making when I don't want to go deep into Chinatown.

Really like Formaggio too. 
The old market, I picked up the petit baguette from Pan D’Avignon regularly.

This is one of the breads they don't seem to be carrying in the new market.  And the half-sized walnut/raisin or cranberry/pecan -  Iiked those for cheese course. 

I was at the market yesterday at lunch, and it was busy every damn where. 

#163 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 08:18 PM

That’s the stuff! The “Le Meunière” brand, I think. (Until La Mercerie will sell me tubs of Bordier to-go.)

You can buy Bordier butter at Le District in Brookfield Place.

#164 Seth Gordon

Seth Gordon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 11:03 PM

You can buy Bordier butter at Le District in Brookfield Place.

Well that’s good to know.... I don’t think I’ve been there since it opened, give or take. Have to revisit.

#165 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,013 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 08:36 PM

Bought a couple of things at Ends Meats today - petite tender for dinner tonight, and some gorgeous coarsely ground beef and pork for a sugo I plan on making tomorrow. Or maybe today.

He had a hunk of beef hanging that had been hanging there since September 20th - so 107 day dry aged. It looked so, so funky.

Really nice guy, I like this place a lot, and his focus on cured meats is very cool.  I look forward to using the guanciale I got from him as well.