143 replies to this topic

#31 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 11:01 PM

The stairs are in the southeast section. In addition to the tables and the bathrooms and a small photography exhibit, there's also a demo kitchen, where I recently attended a kimchi-making presentation. It was quite inspiring! Now I'm set for at least a couple of months.

JS9oGIr.png

#32 greenspace

greenspace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:50 AM

Oh I didn’t see the upstairs. I am a regular at Formaggio now after the huge falling out with Bedford Cheese on Irving.

do tell.

------------------------------

“We wanted a higher level of culinary discourse”

"I was much further out than you thought

And not waving but drowning."

#33 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,797 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 10:48 AM

Yes, please...

I think soon another cheese monger will open at Essex Market - Valley Shepherd Creamery. But I don't know when.

Last week, while chatting with one of the vendors about how nice their new space is, he did mention that earlier in the week, the plumbing was giving issues to any number of spaces, and there were also intermittent other problems. In other words, he told me, they opened the space before it was fully ready. That was no surprise, as they were already running way behind schedule, but it was just another in a list of headaches that the vendors were dealing with.

I'm just waiting for the first pedestrian/vehicle traffic incident at the intersection of Broome and Essex. Then maybe the city will move to do something about that.

#34 Seth Gordon

Seth Gordon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 01:09 PM

I think soon another cheese monger will open at Essex Market - Valley Shepherd Creamery. But I don't know when.

It's a little odd that they're allowing a second cheese shop (I'm not counting the vegan "cheese" store) - it was one thing with Formaggio and Saxelby's, they'd have both been grandfathered in, and Saxelby kind of had her own unique-boutique thing going. I understand VSC sells only their own product, so there wouldn't technically be any overlap with Formaggio... but it's still a bit too similar.

In other news: I'm deathwatching Essex Shambles. I'm in the market probably four nights a week, during prime shopping-for-dinner hours, and I have yet to see anyone making a purchase (or, come to think of it, even talking to the staff) there. I'm not sure the LES will actually support a high-end butcher. Jeffrey did okay for awhile, but he was a neighborhood fixture, and while he had a few high-end options the bulk of his product and prices were more mid-range. That "Heritage Meats" that replaced him bombed. While there's certainly a lot of money in the neighborhood, I don't know that those people living in the Blue Tower eyesore and the like are actually people who cook and entertain at home. And even someone like myself, probably the picture of their prime target demo - if I'm doing an event where I want something higher-end, like I'm going to be serving it raw, I'm probably going to my usual (Ottomanelli on Bleecker) even if it's further out of my way, just cause I've been going to them for years an they know me. (TLDR: Luis has nothing to worry about.)

New Star (the Korean fishmonger, who I always preferred to Rainbo) has (temporarily?) upped their game. It's still mostly run-of-the-mill stuff that's fine for throwing in a fish stew or acceptable-enough-for-a-Wednesday-dinner-in-front-of-the-TV farmed salmon that at least hadn't been frozen in a block of ice before thawing just to increase the weight by 4% but turning it into something with the texture of a soaked sponge with skin that will never crisp because it just steams as soon as it hits the pan (cough cough AquaBest cough cough) - but they've also got a few nicer things scattered throughout, some legit wild salmon and reasonably priced halibut last I looked through. Wouldn't say any of it is sashimi-quality, but for sure better stuff to cook with. (And if I need sashimi-quality for something, I'm in Brooklyn a couple nights a week and Japan Village is nearby...)

#35 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 01:29 PM

...New Star (the Korean fishmonger, who I always preferred to Rainbo) has (temporarily?) upped their game. It's still mostly run-of-the-mill stuff that's fine for throwing in a fish stew or acceptable-enough-for-a-Wednesday-dinner-in-front-of-the-TV farmed salmon...

I am holding out hope that City Acres has a decent fish selection, because nothing at New Star appeals to me, not least because of the cloudy saran wrap blanket thrown over everything. Trader Joe's sells frozen albacore that I think works well in a fish stew.

I tried Valley Shepherd a few times at Union Square, and each time I asked for a quarter pound and got something closer to a half. Seemed shady to me.

#36 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 05:27 PM

Saxelby moved to Chelsea Market, apparently in a newly renovated basement floor.

#37 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,797 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 06:08 PM

I'm deathwatching Essex Shambles. I'm in the market probably four nights a week, during prime shopping-for-dinner hours, and I have yet to see anyone making a purchase (or, come to think of it, even talking to the staff) there...

New Star (the Korean fishmonger, who I always preferred to Rainbo) has (temporarily?) upped their game. 

Yes to the deathwatch.

Re: New Star - I'll buy their whole fish when they look pristine (i.e. pretty soon after they've been delivered), but much prefer to stick with greenmarket product when I want fish for home. I haven't been to Whole Foods since all this stuff opened, but their wild shrimp, bought still frozen in the bags, was good, as is that Argentinian red shrimp at TJ's. Haven't tried any of their other IQF product...I imagine it's ok.

But jeez, after being in Provincetown for 4 days, and eating fish/shellfish landed or harvested the same day, it's kinda depressing looking at New Star's offerings. I supposed if I were closer to Chelsea Market and it wasn't such a nightmare shopping there, I could make do.

#38 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,525 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:33 PM

Shopsin’s is still there too. Survived Kenny. Family run?

#39 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,525 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:36 PM

Oh I didn’t see the upstairs. I am a regular at Formaggio now after the huge falling out with Bedford Cheese on Irving.

do tell.

The full story takes some typing. In short I had taken a ticket. Dude then comes out, doesn’t look at the numbers, serves someone without a ticket (she had just walked in and hadn’t noticed the tickets). Then he looks at me and tells me to take a ticket. It doesn’t go well from there.

#40 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,525 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:37 PM

Saxelby moved to Chelsea Market, apparently in a newly renovated basement floor.

The basement is where the good stuff is now.

#41 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:59 PM

Shopsin’s is still there too. Survived Kenny. Family run?

His son's in the kitchen - I ate there a couple of weeks ago.

#42 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,797 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 12:56 AM

The full story takes some typing. In short I had taken a ticket. Dude then comes out, doesn’t look at the numbers, serves someone without a ticket (she had just walked in and hadn’t noticed the tickets). Then he looks at me and tells me to take a ticket. It doesn’t go well from there.

Sorry, but that's on the woman, and then you to speak up and say you've been waiting and have a fucking number.  

#43 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,302 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:08 AM

While i agree with you, just generally speaking service at bedford on Irving is just offensively bad. Like clueless and rude. I can take one or the other, not both.

Besides the stuff at FE is much better kept.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#44 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,064 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:23 AM

We went on Father’s Day. We are still vegan so I can say too much about the food. Jax man had the chicken and rice at the Vietnamese Place, Gai something. It was 8.99 and I had some of the ginger rice. Jax loved the fried chicken and rice and the value was good. I also got him French fries at The Hero and Villians. The fries were a little thicker than shoe string and were battered. Really delicious and unique actually three dollars is a good price. These were great. I ordered a couple of rice balls from Ni Japanese Deli. They were well made, stuffed with a little plum and served with crispy nori sheets. Miss K ordered from Samesa which we all enjoy. I tried to get a beer but Top Hops is only selling non alcoholic drinks right now.
All in all, another food court dining experience maybe cheaper than normal. Food was ready in like 2 minutes. Priced well except for the 5.75 scoop of ice cream.

It seems most people are speaking About the shops than the fast food options. I would certainly utilize the markets if I lived close by.
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#45 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,797 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 10:44 AM

While i agree with you, just generally speaking service at bedford on Irving is just offensively bad. Like clueless and rude. I can take one or the other, not both.

Agreed on this.

We went on Father’s Day. We are still vegan so I can say too much about the food. Jax man had the chicken and rice at the Vietnamese Place, Gai something.

There's a huge vegan cheese/sandwich place, called Riverdel...perhaps you missed it?

The Vietnamese place is Thai.