143 replies to this topic

#121 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,802 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 12:18 PM

Interesting, cause I like the salmon or, when he has it, the miso marinated cod bento boxes.  His a la minute hand rolls aren't bad either.  Yes, prices are higher than they might be at Mitsuwa, but then I'd have to travel to Mitsuwa.

Never had the soup from there, but the soup lady makes some good soups, and it appears that some may be vegan...if that's important.

#122 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 01:48 PM

I had actually intended to have some Peasant Stock soup and a tamale from La Puebla, but both stalls were closed by 6 (Veteran's Day? SOP?). I'll try one of the fish bento boxes before I give up on the place entirely - I think there was a salted mackerel one last night. Maybe the guy's a better cook? I've only been there when Ni was staffed by women.

#123 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,802 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 02:40 PM

My guess is you might not like the fish bento either, since it's mostly the same as the vegan, other than the fish. In other words, lots of random stuff thrown into the box; some pickled, some raw, etc.

#124 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:02 PM

Yeah, probably. I'm always bummed when I buy something I think I can make just as well myself. I like a lot of random stuff (buffet in a bowl!), but only if I don't have very similar random stuff in my own fridge.

#125 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,802 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:38 PM

Market Line openings starting this coming Friday, November 22nd.  Including:

MEET THE GRAND DELANCEY: OPENING ON MANHATTAN’S LOWER EAST SIDE THIS WEEKEND!
From the minds who brought you ChurchKey (and The Sovereign, Bluejacket, Owen’s Ordinary - to name a few), Neighborhood Restaurant Group has taken its first leap outside of the DMV with The Grand Delancey – an epic craft beer bar opening inside the Market Line food hall this Friday, November 22nd.

Beverage Director-Partner Extraordinaire Greg Engert will handpick over 1,200 (!) rotating beers served through a state-of-the-art, 50 tap draft system each year, along with multiple cask ales and a focused reserve bottle offering. We hope you’ll check us out next time you're in New York, or forward this on to your buddies up north.

#126 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,802 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 09:58 PM

And...http://www.grubstree...r-shop-nyc.html

The chefs Jeremiah Stone and Fabián von Hauske feel this. They will also help to correct it when they open Peoples, a two-sided business inside the the Market Line on the Lower East Side, on Friday. Logistically, Stone says, it works because each space is technically its own address, and thus its own business. But in practical terms, customers will experience a single, unified plan that is part wine bar, and part wine shop. 

Peoples Is the Wine Destination That New York Needs “It’s about having a playful, creative way to sell things.”

#127 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:42 PM

I'm worried about Vin Vero. But I'm also psyched for this new place.

#128 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,802 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 11:37 PM

I'm worried about Vin Vero. But I'm also psyched for this new place.

At least Vin Vero also sells spirits.  But yeah, it's not gonna be easy.  And who the hell ever goes to the guy who is now on Ludlow Street - Seward Park Liquors?

#129 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 11:54 PM

Oh, that's true about the hard stuff. Good. I was never a fan of Seward Park Liquors, although I bought stuff there because it was convenient, as I did - less frequently - from Delancey Wine.  I like that Delancey Wine is actually on Essex Street, and Seward Park Liquors is no longer near Seward Park.

#130 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,304 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 04:18 PM

I know you guys were all looking for my imprimatur, but I thought this looked pretty nice. The fish guy looked acceptable, the peoples wine store was appropriately hipstery. Ends looked pretty good. Excited to see more stuff open.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#131 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 12:37 AM

I made my first visit below deck this afternoon. About half the places are still closed, including Tortilleria Nixtamal, which was my primary destination. Alas. The Pickle Guys (who are up and running) told me Tortilleria was open earlier in the day but ran into some problems and shut down early. So I had some Nom Wah dumplings instead. They were good. Also ready in 10 seconds, which made me suspicious.

sIuv5Y1.png

Vin Vero is in more danger than I thought - People's is selling vodka and mezcal and whiskey. It's very precious in there, like a wine gallery. And it's enclosed, which I thought was weird.

aHG2Psl.png

Essex Pearl looks like a winner. Pretty psyched to be able to take a live lobster on the M14 at some point.

uoralFh.png

jqXuezT.png

Other things that are open: Schaller & Weber, Slice Joint, The Grand Delancey, Veselka, Kuro Obi, Moon Man, Rebecca's Cake Pops,Substance Vitality Bar. Still very much a work in progress, though.

#132 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,525 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 01:01 AM

It’s nice to have a Slice Joint somewhere I can conceive of going.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#133 greenspace

greenspace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 01:48 AM

I made my first visit below deck this afternoon. About half the places are still closed, including Tortilleria Nixtamal, which was my primary destination. Alas. The Pickle Guys (who are up and running) told me Tortilleria was open earlier in the day but ran into some problems and shut down early. So I had some Nom Wah dumplings instead. They were good. Also ready in 10 seconds, which made me suspicious.

sIuv5Y1.png

Vin Vero is in more danger than I thought - People's is selling vodka and mezcal and whiskey. It's very precious in there, like a wine gallery. And it's enclosed, which I thought was weird.

aHG2Psl.png

Essex Pearl looks like a winner. Pretty psyched to be able to take a live lobster on the M14 at some point.

uoralFh.png

jqXuezT.png

Other things that are open: Schaller & Weber, Slice Joint, The Grand Delancey, Veselka, Kuro Obi, Moon Man, Rebecca's Cake Pops,Substance Vitality Bar. Still very much a work in progress, though.

I believe the wine shop being enclosed has to do with vagaries of NYSLA. 

We waited on Saturday about 20 mins for dumplings that were good, had cocktails at the beer bar that were decent to good, a slice that was good to great. The fish on saturday loked fantastic but pricing was TBD. Lobsters said to be between $14-18/lb, which all in for convenience isn't bad. I've paid the same on the Cape in bad seasons.

------------------------------

“We wanted a higher level of culinary discourse”

"I was much further out than you thought

And not waving but drowning."

#134 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 02:03 AM

Lobsters said to be between $14-18/lb, which all in for convenience isn't bad. I've paid the same on the Cape in bad seasons.

$12.99/lb today. I also think I saw mention of a 2lb lobster for $16.99, but my photo does not bear this out, so I may have hallucinated it.

#135 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,539 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 06:38 PM

I had actually intended to have some Peasant Stock soup and a tamale from La Puebla, but both stalls were closed by 6 (Veteran's Day? SOP?). I'll try one of the fish bento boxes before I give up on the place entirely - I think there was a salted mackerel one last night. Maybe the guy's a better cook? I've only been there when Ni was staffed by women.

The whole market used to shut down well before six, until some of the (then) newer vendors like Saxelby's lobbied for longer hours,