22 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 04:29 PM

in which Steve Cuozzo awards Feltman's a half dog increment over Nathan's. He notes that the Coney Island dog is superior to those provided in franchised locations. But the casing was a little tough, the toppings a little off, and the wheat bun just OK.  Feltman's, in contrast, offered a less snappy casing of lambskin, and better toppings. Feltman's also uses a Martin's potato roll bun...

http://nypost.com/20...ts-not-nathans/

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#2 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,997 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 04:34 PM

so funny as when i went to Coney Island last  year, i had a Hot Dog at Luna Park Nathan's Stand and at the Original Location and felt the Hot Dog at the Stand was much better than the Original Nathan's..  Original Location is so gross.. everything is precooked and soggy. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#3 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 04:45 PM

170413_cuozzo_jcrice_378.jpg?quality=90&

With all the sauerkraut and onions it's a wonder he can taste the hot dogs.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#4 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,404 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:47 PM

I've only had Feltman's out of the window, more or less beneath Orik's old apartment.  It is pretty good for a hot dog, and the sauerkraut was definitely a step up.

#5 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:03 PM

I've only had Feltman's out of the window, more or less beneath Orik's old apartment.  It is pretty good for a hot dog, and the sauerkraut was definitely a step up.

I hadn't realized they were still being sold prior to their return to Coney Island.  I have a dream of a multiplicity of frankfurters.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#6 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:02 PM

We finally made it out to Coney Island yesterday (we've had an amazing run of rainy Saturdays) and tried Feltman's.  It's located on Surf Ave. hard by the Cyclone.  It's a good location and about 3 or 4 blocks from Nathan's.

The place was middling crowded - the people seemed to come in waves.  The ordering system is different than Nathans' where you pay and get your food almost immediately.  Here you pay, get your drinks, and wait about 15 minutes for your food.  They only had 2 guys making hot dogs.  They worked hard and efficiently but they had a tough time keeping up with the demand.

The hot dogs were of the kitchen sink variety.  Unless you ask, they are routinely served with mustard, sauerkraut, and onions.  Somewhere there's a hot dog under there.

05fb68857feltmans-15-jpg-mobile.jpeg

Deb ordered hers with the condiments, I opted for mustard only.

The dog itself is a natural casing frank with a nice snap.  The flavor is milder than Nathan's.  Some people will like that and think that Feltman's is more refined.  To me that's like listening to the Ramone's at low volume.  I want the Ramone's played loud and I prefer Nathan's more assertive spicing.

On the positive side they use a toasted Martin's long roll, the same type I love and use at home.  On the down side they applied double the amount of mustard I like.  Mustard is a background spice, not a foreground instrument.

Deb thought her's was OK but thought the onions were a bit much. She likes Nathan's more.

Verdict - Get the dog plain and put on your own condiments.  It's a good dog but a 9 vs. Nathan's 10.

Fun fact - on their website Feltman's quotes the writeup that Gothamist gave their St. Marks branch last summer.  "... it's likely to be the best hot dog you'll ever eat in your life."

The article was written by Scott Lynch and that is breathless hype.

#7 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:12 PM

More about hot dog maven Scott Lynch.  He recently wrote a Gothamist article about the 12 best dogs in New York.  Katz's is on the list - Nathan's didn't make the cut.  Decide for yourself if he's credible.

This spring Sietsema and Cuozzo both compared Nathan's and Feltman's.  Sietsema narrowly favored Nathan's while Cuozzo leaned towards Feltman's.  Neither one mentioned Katz's.

#8 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,404 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:48 PM

I thought Feltman's was fine (from the St Mark's Place branch).  The skin is very snappy, the sauerkraut isn't crap.  I didn't compare it with Nathan's, but with other Manhattan specimens.

#9 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 07:48 PM

I thought it was fine too - I just prefer Nathan's but if I was on St. Marks I'd buy a couple.

Sitesema and Cuozzo rated them as nearly even.  I think those are defensible positions.  Listing Katz's as one of the top dogs in the city and leaving Nathan's off the list isn't.

I know, I know.  Jobbing journalist.

#10 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,997 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 07:58 PM

I wish I liked hotdogs more, they looks so good and they are cheap and convenient. I have never made a hotdog at home. and maybe eat less than 3 a year.i know we sell Brooklyn cured very well
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#11 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,719 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:54 PM

Never made a dog at home??!! WITH THAT GRIDDLE!

#12 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,404 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:25 PM

A new Time Out list of the best (Katz's, Nathan's, Feltman's top the list).

#13 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:13 PM

I've never had a hot dog at Katz's.  It's not like I'm there once a week and need to change things up.  I go for the pastrami and that's what I have.

At one point the people on Chowhound wrote extensively about Katz's until they all simultaneously burned themselves out on the topic.  That happens on food boards.  Anyway occasionally questions about the hot dogs arose.  Were they good?  Worth ordering?

The answers from posters I trusted were that they were fine but not remarkable.  A small minority disagreed because the Internet abhors consensus.  My conclusion was that if Katz's hot dogs were sold instead at Louie's Frank Shack they would never be mentioned.

#14 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,404 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:15 PM

Katz's is sourcing from one of the major hot dog makers.  Can't remember which one.  So there's nothing truly exclusive about the product.  I know I've bought a hot dog at Katz's for someone not into pastrami.

#15 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,961 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:23 PM

Yep, having a hot dog is one of the things one can safely recommend at Katz's if someone is adverse to pastrami or corned beef.  But if those hot dogs are some of the best in NYC, then I feel so reinforced in not eating hot dogs from anywhere in NYC.  Well, except for an occasional dirty dog or stopping by a Papaya King to have (be?) "one with everything".

This space available… contact owner.