22 replies to this topic

#16 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:25 PM

Katz's is sourcing from one of the major hot dog makers.  Can't remember which one.  So there's nothing truly exclusive about the product.  I know I've bought a hot dog at Katz's for someone not into pastrami.

I'm sure they're fine.

Websites regularly publish Best lists. They know they generate lots of clicks and they're right. I fall for those things every time. I know I'm being manipulated but I can't help myself - I feel ashamed.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#17 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:40 PM

I may have had the knoblewurst at Katz's, enticed by the promise of garlic and the look--extra large diameter, like what we used to call "specials" iirc. I'm sure it was fine. But that's different from a hot dog, and yes, that's not why I go to Katz's.

ETA: I can't believe TONY rated Crif so highly. Those are among the least-flavored hot dogs I've ever had; they are nothing without the toppings.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#18 Josh Karpf

Josh Karpf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 11:20 AM

I should make a pilgrimage based on this dozen-year-old NYT story on common Sabrett sourcing, now that the list is a little shorter.

Williamsburg's Sparky's died in embryo and ancient Artie's just a few months ago, though I can't believe Old Homestead is still in business.

#19 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:19 PM

ETA: I can't believe TONY rated Crif so highly. Those are among the least-flavored hot dogs I've ever had; they are nothing without the toppings.

Or with them. A friend forwarded me this special debuting on "National Hot Dog Day," of course:

"The Crif-Meister is a Bacon Wrapped, Deep Fried Crif Dog, drizzled with Jägermeister Simple Syrup (1 Quart of Water, 1 Cup Brown Sugar, 2 Tablespoons Corn Starch, 2 Teaspoons Nutmeg, ¼ cup Jägermeister), topped with Caramelized Onions, Pulled Pork, and Crif’s house-made Cole Slaw. As you can probably guess, this hot dog is absolutely to die for."

#20 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,800 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 03:06 PM

in which we wander around coney island and, yes, eat some nathan's hot dogs (along with clams from paul's daughter).

coney-island-pauls-daughter-shucked-clam

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#21 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,539 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 03:58 AM

I’m glad you went. It is an iconic destination and won’t be there, as you say, forever. I would have recommended Deno’s Wonder Wheel for those who can handle heights. I just get my clams at Nathan’s, along with the hot dogs.

#22 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,800 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 06:41 AM

you know, i think the fried clams may have been from nathan's. the ones on the half shell were definitely from paul's daughter.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#23 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,802 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 12:11 PM

While the Wonder Wheel is quite an attraction, I always preferred

LeQfTHd.jpg?1

And weirdly (or maybe not so much), I really like Coney in the winter.