24 replies to this topic

#1 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:52 PM

Not be be confused with City of Industry, the Harvey Keitel movie.

IC is the term used to describe a series of large warehouse type buildings on the south Brooklyn waterfront in between the Gowanus expressway and the harbor.  Over the years some of those buildings have fallen into disuse while others contain thriving businesses.  Over the past 5 years all of them have attracted new investment.

There is an effort underway to turn a major portion of it into a mini Williamsburg.  Small artsy shops have sprung up.  There is now a food hall selling artisinal tacos and avocado treats.  There are galleries and artists in residence.  You get the picture.

The entire development is very much a work in progress.  You'll see breezy Internet articles that make it seem that there are exciting things to see and do there.  The reality, today, is somewhat underwhelming.  Let me give you some examples.

Back in the fall of 2015 I saw an article saying that Brooklyn Flea was going to relocate to Industry City for the winter.  We love BF so we made a point of attending the market's opening weekend.  It was embarrassing.  The number of vendors was about 20% of what you'd see at the original BF.  And while the space is vast, everything was so spread out that there was no synergy.  Vendors were hundreds of feet away from each other.  There were supposed to be galleries displaying artwork but they were in different buildings and their locations were poorly marked and many of them were not open.  The whole thing shrieked Not Ready for Prime Time.

Move ahead 18 months.  Last week I saw an article about a collaborative light sculpture artwork at a gallery in Industry City.  We attempted to see it Saturday.  It was impossible to find.  We did see lots of signs of progress, however.  The number of shops has tripled and a number of others are under construction.  Things are happening here.

But the whole operation still reeks of disorganization.  Navigating a sprawling series of buildings is difficult.  It's hard to find things and there is an almost a perverse lack of information.  There ought to be maps showing where the various shops and galleries can be located.  Unfortunately there are only a handful and the print is ridiculously small.  We saw that there was a kitchen supply place located 3 buildings away and decided to check it out.  We wandered from building to building moving in the correct general direction. 

Finally we saw another map.  Here's where it gets good.  The text was right side up but the map was upside down.  Imagine a map of the United States - Florida appears in the bottom right hand corner.  Now imagine that map flipped where Florida now sits in the upper left hand side.  It was bizarre.

(We eventually found the kitchen supply place.  It was aimed at actual restaurants, not consumers.)

In spite of their obvious teething pains this place is eventually going to come together and good things are going to come.  There's too much money being poured into the complex for it to fail.  And while the location might appear remote it's a 15 minute subway ride from Park Slope and a 10 minute walk from the 36th St. station on 4th Ave.

I'm going to check in on Industry City about every 4 months to see how things progress.  In the meantime if you read another of those sunny articles telling you about how IC is the next "happening" place you may want to take it with a grain of salt.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#2 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,828 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:57 PM

I thought the fuck sandy show they put on in 2013 was pretty well done.

#3 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,066 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:59 PM

Ends meats is making some really wonderful product.
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#4 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:27 PM

I'm very optimistic about the future but it's going to take some time.  More than half the stands in the food hall weren't open.  In one of the buildings on the harbor side was a brand new cafe that looked attractive.  It was a big space that was entirely empty except for a bartender polishing glasses.  It was around 3:00PM on a sunny day.  It wasn't clear if they were serving food.

In another building there was a big room with lots of tables set up.  Vendors were making jewelry and it looked like they were conducting workshops for children. Unfortunately unless you stumbled directly into it there was no way you'd know it was going on.  There were no signs in other parts of the complex announcing it.

Right now that type of thing is the rule rather the exception.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#5 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,828 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:34 PM

the art show I saw there was professionally installed and well curated and wasn't amateur or disorganized in the least.

#6 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:43 PM

I don't doubt that at all. 

#7 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,533 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:01 PM

I haven't been yet, but it seems to me that there's a sort of chicken-and-egg problem here.  IC won't get really good until people start coming in droves.  But it's so obscurely located that people won't start coming in droves until it's really good.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#8 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,745 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:38 PM

The major problem right now is a vast majority of the restaurants and store fronts are open M-F and close between 4-6pm. Very little is open on weekends.

#9 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:55 PM

IC isn't in an area that gets any foot traffic.  You have to deliberately decide to go there.  That said, it's not that far from the 36th St. subway stop.  That's an express stop for the D and N trains which make it even more convenient.  And for the 46% of NYC households that own cars parking is plentiful.

IC is a few blocks away from the new Bed Bath & Beyond mini mall which also attracts people to the area.  And there's about 10 hotels in the area which cater to tourists.  People have caught on to the fact that Brooklyn is safe and that 36th St. stop is about a 25 minute ride to Union Square.  When IC really gets going some of those tourists will venture over.

I suspect rents are on the low side (maybe Rich can weigh in on this) which will help businesses get started and ultimately when enough of them get going the real synergy will set in as you'll have a single destination which will combine a Smorgasburg type of experience with the Chelsea galleries and large courtyards for special events.  Unlike Smorgasburg there's lots of inside space so it's weatherproof.

Long term it's going to be a winner but it will take some time.

#10 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,828 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:32 PM

I think the food concesssions are mostly designed to make a little extra money for the large scale food production operations that are run during the week by colson patisserie, lidabit sweets, and so on, and cater to people who work in the building. very few of those places are stand alone restaurants. I'm sure everyone would love to have tourists buying stuff all the time but if they were really counting on it they'd be open on the weekends.

#11 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:03 PM

I've gone to a few events at the Industry City distillery, which I think produces vodka mostly. Nice space, good cocktails, bad cheese plate.

#12 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:30 PM

I think the food concesssions are mostly designed to make a little extra money for the large scale food production operations that are run during the week by colson patisserie, lidabit sweets, and so on, and cater to people who work in the building. very few of those places are stand alone restaurants. I'm sure everyone would love to have tourists buying stuff all the time but if they were really counting on it they'd be open on the weekends.

This is reminiscent of how Chelsea Market was originally constituted: iirc, tenants had to have their production/wholesale facilities there in order to open retail operations.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#13 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:01 PM

All your Industry City food news located in one convenient thread.

The 'World's First' Avocado Bar Blows Through 650 Pounds Of Avocados Per Week

In April, a little shop serving organic toasts, smoothies and salads enjoyed a meteoric rise to fame. Why? Every dish on the menu was centered around avocados. Avocaderia owners Alessandro Biggi, Francesco Brachetti and Alberto Gramigni dubbed their creation the "world's first avocado bar." It was an instant hit.

Biggi says the reception has been "unbelievable," with lines out the door nearly every week day since the restaurant opened.

"To be entirely honest, we had no idea that we would become so popular this quickly! We always anticipated that people would come to Avocaderia but never imagined that these kind of crowds would be turning up," Biggi told Gothamist. "We have customers from the local area and around NYC, and we have tourists coming in every day from abroad that take the train to Sunset Park just to eat at our bar."

At present, the restaurant blows through 25 cases—that's 650 pounds—of avocados every week. They're launching weekends soon, too, beginning with Saturdays on May 13th and eventually Sundays later in the month. The team anticipates upping their order to 40 cases. It's a lesson in inventory hard learned: the cafe ran out of avocados their first day in business.

Soup Dumplings Are Heading To Industry City This Summer

The food scene at Industry City: so hot right now. Earlier this week, the "world's first" avocado bar opened in the food hub—promptly selling out of their wares—and now Gothamist has learned that popular Downtown Brooklyn dumpling spot Yaso Tangbao will be opening an outpost there this summer.

The Shanghainese eatery will occupy a 4,500-square-foot lot that will accommodate both a commercial kitchen for dumpling-making, as well as a seating area for eating on-site. They'll be serving the same menu they currently offer in Downtown Brooklyn, which includes several different types of soup dumplings, soups and noodles.

Yaso Tangbao first opened in Downtown Brooklyn in 2015 and recently announced plans to expand to Midtown East. Prepare your body by revisiting the city's best soup dumplings and prepping your skillz so you don't make a fool of yourself.

Industry City's Newest Gastropub Comes With Tabletop Shuffleboard

Vincent Chirico, who runs the excellent Vai Restaurant on the Upper West Side, officially opened his third NYC restaurant today inside Industry City. There, he's operating Filament at The Landing, which is being branded as a "gastropub" of sorts, and is serving some of Chirico's greatest hits from Vai and his other restaurant, Coarse, in the West Village.

Among those dishes are the Hamachi Duo ($14), a raw preparation with avocado, cucumber and preserved ginger. Also making the move to Industry City is the chef's Charred Octopus ($15), resting on a bed of jalapeno pesto and fingerling potatoes, and a Chicken Under A Brick ($13) with vegetables. Check out the rest of the menu—including breakfast and lunch options for locals—below.

The new space boasts more than just the food, however. A combined indoor and outdoor area includes a courtyard bar—with craft beer and cocktails—plus large format games like pool tables and tabletop shuffleboards.

#14 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:06 PM

Brooklyn Kitchen to Shutter Williamsburg Store in Move to Industry City

After more than 10 years in Williamsburg, Brooklyn Kitchen will be moving its cooking classes and food events to Sunset Park’s sprawling Industry City complex. Co-owner Taylor Erkkinen tells Eater that the new space will have a patio on which they’ll host guest chefs and grilling classes. They’re joining restaurants like Burger Joint, Parm, and Avocaderia in the massive complex.

Besides the patio, the major difference here will be the lack of retail. The original location has long been a stop for kitchenware, locally-sourced non-perishables, and fresh produce, which will not carry over to the new location.

This isn’t the absolute end for the Williamsburg space, though, which Erkkinen and co-owner Harry Rosenblum still have plans for. “We’re going to hold onto the space for the time being and try to have events and rent parties and fun weird shit, but there’s nothing concrete yet,” Erkkinen says.

Industry City

The deal: Industry City is turning Sunset Park into one of the city’s hottest dining neighborhoods. There are 13 food vendors in the sprawling space, with heavy hitters like Blue Marble Ice Cream and Burger Joint. There is also the infamous, line-inspiring all-avocado bar, Avocaderia and some $18 coffee.

#15 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:19 PM

"Why Industry City is your essential NYC summer destination"

Summer's hottest new playground is on the Brooklyn shore, and we don't mean Coney Island.

Once a shipping hub on the Sunset Park waterfront in the 1890s, the row of warehouses along Third Avenue between 32nd and 37th streets that is Industry City has grown into a must-do on every New Yorker’s summer agenda.

Though it’s been a low-key neighborhood favorite for a while, since last summer Industry City has tripled its public spaces and added tons of new attractions: games like mini golf, a concert series by Brooklyn Bowl and some of the city’s hottest restaurants. Its industrial chic halls contrast with broad, leafy courtyards; there's even a slice of hipster beach paradise. It’s easy and fast to get there from Manhattan, with the express N train getting you from Canal Street to IC’s front door at 36th Street in three stops — let us convince you to take the trip.

Full article

It's fairly comprehensive.  They cover food, events, miniature golf, galleries, and a hipster beach bar.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Brooklyn