24 replies to this topic

#16 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,332 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:15 PM

It's really excellent to have Japan Village/Sunrise Mart here.  So much easier than schlepping to Mitsuwa, in Edgewater, NJ, though the prices might be a tad higher and there certainly isn't the scope of products Mitsuwa carries.

But, that said, it's very nice. I stopped in yesterday for the 2nd or 3rd time, to resupply on some rice, seaweed, sauces, etc. etc.

I haven't taken advantage of what looks to be very nice meat (Japan Premium Beef) and seafood yet, but that should happen soon. And they evidently have a tofu counter (made in house) as well.

The food hall is a bonus. I had a couple of tasty onigiri freshly made on the spot.

And around the corner on 36th St., a well-stocked with sake Japanese liquor store called Kuraichi

#17 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,917 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 11:16 PM

the sandwiches at ends meat, a butcher in the 36th street food hall, and the tacos nearby are worlds better than the food I’ve had in the japanese food hall by the sunrise mart. ends meat and the pizza place in the same building both have good beer, the bar a few buildings over doesn’t.

the seafood place in the sunrise mart varies a lot, sometimes there’s a bunch of good looking choices, sometimes they only have three things. I’ve seen the same expensive beef at the butcher on smith street for slightly less money but haven’t tried it either place. it doesn’t look like the stuff they had at the original japan premium beef.

ends meat, which will soon open at the new LES market closer to you, has been consistently good in my experience. the dry aged stuff doesn’t have the same mineral funk the best stuff does, but it is intensely beefy and I like it a lot more than what you can get for the same price (30 a lb) at fleishers. I also like their guancialle more than the la quercia stuff you see around me.

the game room a few buildings over is a great way to kill time with kids on a summer day.

#18 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,332 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 11:35 PM

Cool - thanks - the only food I've had was a bento box (not bad) and the onigiri - quite good, I thought.  I generally avoid ramen, sushi, etc. in these types of places.

And I think I just really enjoy shopping at Japanese 'supermarkets."

We should note everyone's favorite BBQ place, Hometown, is also in Industry City.  I don't know if they do their smoking there or schlep it over from Red Hook and warm it up, though it smelled smokey yesterday.

#19 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,570 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 11:46 PM

Hometown has pastrami at Industry City that they don't have at OG Red Hook.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#20 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,121 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 11:57 PM

Sahadi is now at IC as well

This space available… contact owner.

#21 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,332 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 12:18 AM

Hometown has pastrami at Industry City that they don't have at OG Red Hook.

Sahadi is now at IC as well

All good...are either of you taking advantage of this?

#22 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,570 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 03:54 AM

Not that convenient for me.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#23 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 87,298 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 04:31 AM

Sounds a lot more interesting than when I was last there, maybe a year ago, hauled by my daughter in the cause of Avocaderia. If that’s what it was called.

#24 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,121 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 04:31 PM

It’s an amazing project. I got a tour of the entire site about a year ago, as I play tennis with the Director of the IC development (which is privately held). I worked, during a college summer vacation, in a manufacturing plant/warehouse there (Martinson Coffee/Tetley Tea) earning a Teamster level salary (& almost didn’t go back to school afterwards) so I was pretty familiar with the area & it’s history. I was floored at what had been done & what was in development. However, as Sahadi, Red Hook and even the Navy Yard development are more convenient for us, I haven’t really gone there as a customer. The Japanese market & a couple of other things will probably get us there sooner or later.

This space available… contact owner.

#25 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,917 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 02:54 AM

ends meat, which will soon open at the new LES market closer to you, has been consistently good in my experience. the dry aged stuff doesn’t have the same mineral funk the best stuff does, but it is intensely beefy and I like it a lot more than what you can get for the same price (30 a lb) at fleishers.

I bought some of the oldest ribeye in the case today (8/19) and it tasted strongly of cheese in a good way.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Brooklyn