19 replies to this topic

#16 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:43 AM

That's an interesting question, because I don't know what the difference in the process might be, but I have the impression that dry aging lasts a lot longer than the typical couple of days for hanging.

Hanging is with the entrails in and feathers on, right? Dry aging is after plucked and drawn.

#17 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,568 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:56 PM

Much too obvious for me.  :D

#18 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:21 AM

That's an interesting question, because I don't know what the difference in the process might be, but I have the impression that dry aging lasts a lot longer than the typical couple of days for hanging.

Hanging is with the entrails in and feathers on, right? Dry aging is after plucked and drawn.

Recipe in OP says:

Duck
Dry off the duck and remove remaining innards. Remove the breasts and set aside. Use the rest of the duck for confit and stock.

(emphasis added)

So per balex, this is hung, not dry-aged.

I give up. It's all moot for me, anyway, since I already bought and broke down my three ducks for the year. Six legs for confit, six magrets, and the rest gone into stock (without him having to tell me).

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#19 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,118 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:27 AM

Nope. The remaining innards mean liver, gizzard, etc. And not the intestines and other goo removed when dressing.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#20 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:55 PM

Whatever.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table