71 replies to this topic

#61 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,963 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 01:26 PM

I can tell you it’s kind of surreal when my mom emails me about a murder in Bavaria when she lives in philly...
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#62 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,385 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 05:23 PM

Ha!

Bar Loser

MF Old

#63 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,963 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 04:06 PM

Sparkling Bistro is a lot better than the name would suggest. We've been going on and off for about 3 years (they took over the old Bistro Terrine space about 4 years ago) but lately the guy has really hit his stride and we find ourselves going much more often. It is fun to watch dishes and ideas develop and I think its a matter of time before he gets a star. 

https://www.instagra...parklingbistro/

If you are passing through Munich this would be a fun place to visit, not least because right now its kind of a hidden gem.  

As for the name, the Bistro part is to refer back to the well loved Terrine, the sparkling refers to the owner/Chef's love of Champagne -- though last couple of times we drank a sparkling sake from Masumi which was really fantastic. 

Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#64 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,963 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 07:46 AM

My very favorite time in Munich: Saturday morning in the old town, around 9am, first day of Oktoberfest. It feels like when you are hosting a big party, when all the preparations are done and you are waiting for the first guest to ring the doorbell. Come out at sendlinger Tor U-Bahn to see groups of people in trachten waiting in the -- mostly empty -- little side streets as the horse drawn beer carriages they are supposed to accompany slowly start to line up. Extended families in trachten meeting up for a Weißwurst breakfast before it all gets going. Here and there small brass bands tuning up and practicing. And then the crazy begins...

-Chomskybot

#65 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,021 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 12:05 PM

I remember last year :)

Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#66 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,963 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 05:42 PM

The nice thing about hangovers is, chances are most of the people you work with have one too. Bacon & eggs helped this morning... 

-Chomskybot

#67 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,963 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 05:14 PM

I guess you probably saw the 52 places thing in the NY Times this week...link

Quite a few comments rightly took him to task on basically not leaving the most touristy part of the city. Also half the article seems to have been cribbed from a lonely planet intro. Although, when I think about it, f**king off work on a nice day and hanging out in a Biergarten is very much what life in Munich is about...

-Chomskybot

#68 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,385 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 05:27 PM

We all think the way we do things are the best, but I really HATE treating travel like some kind of improving educational experience and ignoring just sort of hanging out and having a good time the way locals do, instead insisitng on a tiring whirlwind tour of museums and historic sites.  THAT'S not how you learn anything.  You soak up much more culture hanging out.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#69 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,963 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 06:14 PM

We all think the way we do things are the best, but I really HATE treating travel like some kind of improving educational experience and ignoring just sort of hanging out and having a good time the way locals do, instead insisitng on a tiring whirlwind tour of museums and historic sites.  THAT'S not how you learn anything.  You soak up much more culture hanging out.

Agree. If he'd wanted to see the real Munich he could have walked 15 minutes in any direction to a real neighborhood. But then he inadvertently hit upon what the locals actually do on a nice day. 

-Chomskybot

#70 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,385 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 06:44 PM

And felt guilty about it.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#71 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,963 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 06:48 PM

And felt guilty about it.

We just call it "team-building" and move on. 

-Chomskybot

#72 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,719 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 08:00 PM

I bit...

http://mouthfulsfood...y-do-we-travel/