14 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:10 AM

NYT's Julia Moskin, Sam Sifton, and Melissa Clark sample hot dogs three ways. Naked, and slathered with condoments, and in a bun. For rolls - split top and conventional side positions were shown.

Ten dogs were sampled. The Whole Foods Wellshire Farms dog won, with the Hebrew National premium dog close behind. The middle of the pack included most of the usual suspects including the Brooklyn Hot Dog Company's smoked dog. They found it OK, I like that dog, and I like both of their winners.

They caution the judges are all native New Yorkers, so they have a NY sensibility toward garlic, some spices, etc.

https://www.nytimes....aste-test.html?

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#2 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,519 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 05:29 AM

For home consumption, unless you're bound by religious dietary restrictions, why would you even want an all-beef hot dog?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#3 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:20 AM

I am amazed, no, stupified, that they neglected to include Nathan's natural casing franks. They're what's sold at Coney Island and at select supermarkets. They're suitably garlicky and have a fine snap when you bite into one.

I'm going to channel Rich here. They were going for page hits.

Stop the presses.

SECRET REVEALED. WHOLE FOODS FRANKS THE BEST!!!

What a scoop.
"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#4 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:42 PM

For home consumption, unless you're bound by religious dietary restrictions, why would you even want an all-beef hot dog?

Because they taste better? To throw your question back at you, why would you want anything but an all-beef hot dog? I've found that anything else has either too much sweetness, too little spice, and just a general blandness. Then again, I don't spend my money of fancy-schmancy artisanal hot dogs.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#5 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,302 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:04 PM

I'm stupefied

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#6 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,302 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:05 PM

I am amazed, no, stupified, that they neglected to include Nathan's natural casing franks. They're what's sold at Coney Island and at select supermarkets. They're suitably garlicky and have a fine snap when you bite into one.

I'm going to channel Rich here. They were going for page hits.

Stop the presses.

SECRET REVEALED. WHOLE FOODS FRANKS THE BEST!!!

What a scoop.

So here's how I read the article 

Ctrl-f "Casing". No mention of the inherently superior nature of a natural casing dog.

I'm out. You have no credibility.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#7 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:46 PM

The game was rigged from the start with a limit of all-beef hot dogs, and a jury of native NYC residents.

I suspect a jury of native Rochester NY residents, or native Chicago residents would define the question differently. And select a dog which reflects local sensibilities and experience.

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#8 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,797 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:13 PM

These are what I generally would have in my freezer; sold at my local grocery store.  But now I have trouble finding them.

#9 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,739 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:36 PM

Let's remember folks, we're talking about the NY Times here. Why should expectations be higher than what was published?

...and they were speaking about buying hot dogs in Eden Prairie, Minnesota, not NYC.

#10 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 04:16 PM

The game was rigged from the start with a limit of all-beef hot dogs, and a jury of native NYC residents.

This isn't unique.  How many articles have we read entitled "NY Pizza Was Better in the 1970s" that are written by people born in Akron who weren't even alive in 1975?

ETA - Oooh Oooh!  Wait.  I can think of of one of those people.

Jim Leff.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#11 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,064 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 04:40 AM

If John the hot dog guy or union pork store are not involved, I can't take it seriously
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#12 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,536 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 07:38 AM

If you get a chance, try Alpine brand dogs. Good flavor, yes, but extraordinary and satisfying "snap" to the casing. From Stockton, CA, but even I have trouble sourcing them.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#13 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,797 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:50 PM

Went into my local grocery store yesterday, where they have a decent selection of commercial hot dogs.

Sabrett's and Nathan's are highly represented, in various iterations. None, however, with natural casing.

#14 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 02:55 PM

Come on. Articles like this are ridiculous: the "best" anything is the one YOU like best. De gustibus and all that.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#15 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 03:25 PM

Went into my local grocery store yesterday, where they have a decent selection of commercial hot dogs.

Sabrett's and Nathan's are highly represented, in various iterations. None, however, with natural casing.

Unfortunately only about 20% of supermarkets sell the Nathan's natural casing.

12679467495_553e7f26a3.jpg

I haven't had a Sabrett's for years.  I remember liking them well enough.