37 replies to this topic

#1 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,536 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 01:27 AM

I've suggested for some time that Mississippi Roast deserves a thread of its own.   I know, i was the most skeptical of this @#$%^ concoction, er, recipe.   But it does work and is a perfect foil for improv.    I've written up some of my bastardizations in Sneak's thread.    But can we add more here?

Most recent, a small chuck roast.,   No au jus mix or Hidden Valley packet on hand,    But did have an aged Lipton's Onion Soup  mix and a jar of extra rich Caesar dressing.     Followed the classic process except I don't have a slow cooker.    Browned stovetop, added mix and dressing, a cup of water, a jalapeno, let simmer in 275 oven for 3 hours.    

Broke up the tender meat.   Tarted up a large can of pintos, what husband calls my "Gringo beans".   Tortillas, lettuce, tomato, cheese, sour cream, green sauce.   

35586680323_a0d91318ee_z.jpg

36257749681_f62b9e2f65_z.jpg

Satisfying if not authentic.    

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#2 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 02:06 AM

Of course it's authentic. Everything is authentic. Maybe not the ethnicity aimed for, but even highly processed food is authentic processed food.

(Can you see why I wish the word "authentic" would be banned in relation to food?)

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#3 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,519 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 05:31 AM

[mispost]

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,536 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:12 PM

Another bastard version of Mississippi Roast.    Another embarrassingly good chunk of beef and totally awesome sauce.    You really can't go too wrong varying the mix-ins.   

This time, using what was on hand as is my cooking style, a seared slab of chuck, packet of Lipton's onion soup mix (actually bought with this in mind), several tablespoons of powdered veal fond, quarter cup of Kraft "Indulgence" buttermilk ranch dressing (again, malice of forethought), a cup or so of white wine and enough water to almost cover the meat.    Oven igniter decided to konk out at the last minute, so very slowly braised stove top for just over 2 hours.    With boiled potatoes and braised romaine.   

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#5 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,519 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:52 AM

I'm housemaking pepperoncini (actually other mild chili peppers, pickled) for my next batch!

Is THAT pretentious enough for you?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#6 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,536 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 09:20 AM

I LOVE it!   Want to shate your method?

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#7 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,536 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 07:12 PM

I'm still chewing your choice of "pretentious".   IMHO, kitchen experiments or playing with food is what elevates the daily task of putting food on the table from tedium to amusement.    Along with fining joy in the beauty of just plain food.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#8 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,519 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 10:02 PM

I LOVE it!   Want to shate your method?

Get ready, this is tough:

Sterilize jar (in my Instant Pot!).   Boil mixture of about 2/3 vinegar 1/3 water with lots of salt.  Blanch a few cloves of garlic.  Slit sides of peppers.  Throw blanched garlic cloves into jar.  Throw peppers into jar.  Pour liquid into jar.  Seal jar.  Put away somewhere.  Wait three weeks.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#9 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,519 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 10:05 PM

I'm still chewing your choice of "pretentious".   IMHO, kitchen experiments or playing with food is what elevates the daily task of putting food on the table from tedium to amusement.    Along with fining joy in the beauty of just plain food.

You and others seem to be concluding, though, that using mass-produced pre-made ingredients improves the flavor of the Mississippi Roast.

I'm just too pretentious to use them.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#10 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,536 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 10:48 PM

That's not pretentious. That's called cooking.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#11 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,519 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 05:08 AM

Hey, you guys are the ones who are saying it tastes better if you use bottled Ranch dressing and powdered jus!  (And I'm not even arguing with you.)

Bar Loser

MF Old

#12 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,824 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 01:11 PM

powdered ranch dressing.

I made it last week, this is definitely an example of bettter living through chemicals.

#13 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 01:49 PM

I guess if you have no experience with bottled ranch dressing, Lipton onion soup mix, and jarred peppers, a dish using "artisanal" versions will be fine. But I'm reminded of when my sister and I decided to "improve" on creamed tuna on toast: instead of canned cream of mushroom soup, we made a white sauce, and used sautéed fresh mushrooms instead of canned, maybe even fresh peas instead of canned (hey, this was the early 1960s). Was the result "better"? Sure--less salt, fresh food, blah blah blah. Did we like it? No. It was completely unfamiliar, and therefore not what we enjoyed.

Also: artisanal ketchup. "Better"? Maybe. Pretentious? You bet. Not the ketchup you're used to, so it tastes different and weird? Absolutely.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#14 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,536 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 05:19 PM

I plead guilty to a sloppy reading of both the Sifton article and probably many posts here. Going back to the original MR recipe from the TV interview, I understood that the packets were added to the roast dry, not made up into dressing. It was this departure, the addition of either mayonnaise or oil that I questioned.

The basic concept of sexing up a pot-roast with hot peppers has legs.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#15 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 11:21 PM

Im finally making this but one guest will not tolerate any heat. Im assuming it will be fine without the pepperonci?
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.