37 replies to this topic

#31 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,537 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:53 AM

I love a Mississippi Roast.  But it's not for the faint of heart.

What is so challenging about it?   Lievre royale, that's challenging.    But MR?

It's a challenge to food snobs.

I'm hardly a food snob, but I didn't like it. At least when made with the original recipe (the NYTimes take on it may be better, but I don't want to waste a good chunk of beef to try it).

I love a Mississippi Roast.  But it's not for the faint of heart.

What is so challenging about it?   Lievre royale, that's challenging.    But MR?

It's a challenge to food snobs.

I'm hardly a food snob, but I didn't like it. At least when made with the original recipe (the NYTimes take on it may be better, but I don't want to waste a good chunk of beef to try it).

Then try it on a bad chunk of beef.   Or a chunk of pork.    It's really a concept and a process rather than a recipe.     I was the quintessential doubter but now turn to it with some frequency.   Essentially a pot roast hijacked by the food conglomerates then gentrified by the NYT.    As BurgerKing says, "Have it your way."

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#32 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,525 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 06:03 AM

As I said:  not for the faint of heart.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#33 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,825 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 05:41 PM

I just made my fourth one, my kids will mostly eat it now. I served it over mashed potatoes the first time, and then followed a recommendation I saw a few places on the web and made sandwiches with martins rolls and mozzarella, which were fine. the last set of left overs got turned into stroganoff with sour cream and dill and onions, which probably lined my heart. Im impressed you eat a whole batch, I was pretty tired of it by the third day.

#34 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,537 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 06:05 PM

Size matters. I always go for "planned-overs" but within reason. One dinner for 2 + 2-3 lunch portions and it's history.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#35 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,525 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 06:54 PM

I don't eat it two nights in row.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#36 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,390 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 08:49 PM

But if I adapt to suit my tastes, it's not really Mississippi Roast anymore. It's some other kind of roast. 

#37 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,537 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 09:23 PM

But if I adapt to suit my tastes, it's not really Mississippi Roast anymore. It's some other kind of roast. 

Mississippi Roast aka Brooklyn Roast aka San Francisco Roast aka Montreal Roast.    It's still rock n' roast to me.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#38 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,525 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 06:02 AM

Yeah boy God forbid you should make an impure Mississippi Roast.

Bar Loser

MF Old