72 replies to this topic

#16 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 05:13 PM

I agree. Mrs. P & I dine at certain restaurants on a monthly basis because they treat us like family, and we are able to reserve the same table each month. Some of the chefs prepare complementary dishes for us that aren't on the menu, & we share our wine with them. We are also friendly with the servers, and request the same server each month when possible. When some of our regular servers are off on the day that we dine, they will call the server who is taking care of us to tell them that we don't like to be rushed, and to take good care of us :)  We appreciate them as much as they appreciate us. That is much better than going to some huge conglomerate restaurant where nobody knows you & the staff changes weekly. There are too many restaurants out there to waste our time at some place where they don't appreciate our patronage.

Follow me on Instagram @eparyzer

#17 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 08:11 PM

Okay, maybe not creepy. But in lieu of my being a regular whose tastes are known, if any place tried looking at my browsing history (which I suppose is possible), much consternation would ensue on their part and hilarity on mine. Because of the variety of books I work on, I look at sites that have no apparent single line straight through them. And even where we are somewhat regulars, I doubt there's a discernible ordering pattern that would lead them to be able to second-guess us successfully.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#18 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 08:27 PM

Browsing history isn't available unless you're the NSA or an ISP.

Unless someone was leaving a digital trail by using a consistent and known user ID no "civilian" outfit could track you or me.

Of course if Google opens up a restaurant I'm in real trouble.
"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#19 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,525 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 08:31 PM

They would all wonder where Suzanne's scale was.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#20 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 09:05 PM

They would all wonder where Suzanne's scale was.

:gold:

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

#21 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,539 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 02:45 AM

Every business you deal with is either stupid or collecting and using this information. Often badly, it's true.

#22 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,539 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 02:48 AM

Browsing history isn't available unless you're the NSA or an ISP.

Unless someone was leaving a digital trail by using a consistent and known user ID no "civilian" outfit could track you or me.

Of course if Google opens up a restaurant I'm in real trouble.

What? It's anonymized, but your online behavior, including on mobile devices, is absolutely available via cookies, java scripts... And there are tools which will connect your identity across devices. Did you never search for a new power drill online and get followed by weeks of ads for power drills?

If you're curious about who's tracking you, download ghostery.

#23 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,106 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 03:47 PM

Right.

Simplest example - MFF knows which IP Lex is browsing from right now, and it could share that information with any third party - even ones who do not enjoy the all-knowingness of Google or FB. 

Worse yet - MFF can collect information on Lex's browser, plugins, screen resolution, color rendering, mouse movement regimes, etc. that would let such a third party identify Lex with great certainty. MFF can also correlate anonymized data from google analytics with known information to keelp tracking Lex even if he's logged out and is using a different IP. 

And those "I am not a robot" captchas - they're really "I am Lex" captchas.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#24 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 05:12 PM

Right.

Simplest example - MFF knows which IP Lex is browsing from right now, and it could share that information with any third party - even ones who do not enjoy the all-knowingness of Google or FB. 

Worse yet - MFF can collect information on Lex's browser, plugins, screen resolution, color rendering, mouse movement regimes, etc. that would let such a third party identify Lex with great certainty. MFF can also correlate anonymized data from google analytics with known information to keelp tracking Lex even if he's logged out and is using a different IP. 

I'm really interested in all of this.  I'd like to know what risks I'm running.  Could you (or someone else) supply a couple of links to articles or sites which would describe the areas of vulnerability in more detail?  At this point I'm not getting very much of a "customized" Internet experience. 

Exception - A few weeks ago I did some Googling for a certain type of light fixture.  In the next few weeks I noticed some ads on various sites mentioning that type of fixture.  That seems to have stopped.  I've never seen that before.  For years I've Googled different restaurants and cuisines but I've never gotten ads that relate to my food searches.

Youtube and Amazon, OTOH, regularly link to content similar to things I've viewed or purchased before.

ETA - My Google Feed pops up articles that relate to searches and sites I've viewed before.  I've always assumed that Google tracks that type of information and by extension could share it with the government and law enforcement.  Because I live an unexciting life I haven't worried about that.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#25 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,525 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 05:14 PM

I know for a fact that every message board you post on knows which IPP you do it from.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#26 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 05:52 PM

I knew that too.  They also have a record of your IP address.  That's how some boards identified users who re-registered under different user IDs.

I'm trying to learn enough so I can make logical decisions about privacy - to chart a middle ground between "nobody knows who I am" and "everybody knows everything about what I do."

Sure - I accept the idea that the government can see everything if they want to bother.  I'm really much more concerned about Internet marketing companies selling my browsing history.

#27 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,106 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 08:01 PM

Right.

I'm really interested in all of this.  I'd like to know what risks I'm running.  Could you (or someone else) supply a couple of links to articles or sites which would describe the areas of vulnerability in more detail?  At this point I'm not getting very much of a "customized" Internet experience. 

Exception - A few weeks ago I did some Googling for a certain type of light fixture.  In the next few weeks I noticed some ads on various sites mentioning that type of fixture.  That seems to have stopped.  I've never seen that before.  For years I've Googled different restaurants and cuisines but I've never gotten ads that relate to my food searches.

Youtube and Amazon, OTOH, regularly link to content similar to things I've viewed or purchased before.

ETA - My Google Feed pops up articles that relate to searches and sites I've viewed before.  I've always assumed that Google tracks that type of information and by extension could share it with the government and law enforcement.  Because I live an unexciting life I haven't worried about that.

There's a paper and a related site that demonstrates some techniques:

http://uniquemachine.org/

Of course if you use another browser or change the browser extensions you'll get different results, but for example their machine fingerprint survives using an incognito window.

There's another nice description of some methods here:

http://jcarlosnorte....erprinting.html

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#28 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 08:28 PM

Thanks.

#29 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 08:32 PM

A number of years ago, I worked on a biography of the Prophet Muhammad. Every time the phone rang and there was no one (seemingly) at the other end, before hanging up I would always say, "Goodbye, Mr. Ashcroft." You never know. :ph43r:

#30 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,525 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 08:42 PM

Yeah, I should know this, but what's with those phone calls where you pick up and then there is a pause and then two or three beeps, and then you get disconnected?

Bar Loser

MF Old