72 replies to this topic

#31 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,119 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 08:47 PM

Yeah, I should know this, but what's with those phone calls where you pick up and then there is a pause and then two or three beeps, and then you get disconnected?

The auto dial system just keeps trying numbers and then if more people answer than there are operators, you get dropped. Another case is that the system is just testing numbers for human response. 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#32 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,568 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:09 PM

Thanks.

Opting out of any tracking would be extremely difficult.  A number of major data platforms claim to have records on all U.S. consumers, and they're probably close: doubtless some profiles are richer than others.  You might be able to avoid most online tracking if you use something like the Tor browser.  I'm not sure the equivalent is available for mobile.  But you're still going to give up data every time you make an online (or indeed in-store) transaction.

This gives an idea of the scope of commercial tracking going on in the U.S.

#33 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:34 PM

This is a cool art-y thing that explores a little bit about in-browser tracking: https://clickclickclick.click/

I think it's just the sort of thing that you have to live with and not think too much about. Sort of like the potential for random nuclear annihilation.

Has anybody ever clicked on a retargeting ad, BTW? I'm not sure I've ever cared for any of them.
I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#34 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:59 PM

This is a cool art-y thing that explores a little bit about in-browser tracking: https://clickclickclick.click/

I think it's just the sort of thing that you have to live with and not think too much about. Sort of like the potential for random nuclear annihilation.

Has anybody ever clicked on a retargeting ad, BTW? I'm not sure I've ever cared for any of them.

For once, I agree with you.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#35 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:03 PM

"You won't believe what Marcia from the Brady Bunch looks like today!!!"

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#36 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:20 PM

Retargeting like your light fixtures thing or Wilfrid's drill thing.

#37 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,568 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:57 PM

I have a drill thing?

#38 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:41 PM

I have a drill thing?

#39 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,119 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:59 PM

They're very effective exactly because the only people clicking them still care about the product.

#40 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,568 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:03 PM

I have a drill thing?

Oh. I've never shopped for a power drill.  I wonder why that came to mind.

#41 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,568 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:04 PM

They're very effective exactly because the only people clicking them still care about the product.

Yes.

And in theory you mainly see ads for things you might care about (that part of it is not working very well yet).

#42 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,119 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:11 PM

Right. Specifically the greatest difficulty with remarketing is figuring out whether a transaction already took place, or conversely the person wasn't very interested in the first place. When you only look at the best subsection - abandoned carts (meaning someone almost bought) - you get terrific conversion rates of 15%-30%.

I'll happily lend you my power drill. (just working on establishing that Wilfrid is really in the market for a power drill and the internet should keep on trying to sell him one)

#43 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:21 PM

Amazon uses your browsing history along with your actual purchases to offer "you might be interested in" stuff.

I often abandon a cart on purpose to see if they'll give me free shipping later.  King Arthur Flour has done that a few times. They send me an email with a code for a $25 threshold instead of $49 for free shipping.  Especially if I go toAmazon or Bob's Red Mill from their site.

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#44 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 05:41 AM

Caught doing sketchy shit in Chicago: https://chicago.eate...ants-valentines

#45 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 03:41 PM

One employee, who they fired.  If more of this type of tactic is uncovered there are definitely grounds for a lawsuit by their competitors.  If not, I think this story will go away.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China