53 replies to this topic

#31 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,311 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 10:45 PM

I had something intelligent to say, but forgot what it was.

I'll have it Sunday.

#32 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,269 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:27 AM

In conclusion, go when they are serving the goat :-)

Also, Mile end was packed with lines around the corner from day one and no first time owner could have possibly expected let alone executed what they did, how they did it
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#33 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,528 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:50 AM

This kind of reminds me of a toystore I went to in London (actually, maybe it was somewhere in the North) years ago.  They had a toy I just adored that I wanted to get for my then newborn first niece (who -- you can't stop time -- just gave birth to her own second child last month).  The owner started packing the floor sample, which was a little dusty.  I asked her if they had a clean one in stock.

"How could I know I needed another one until someone bought this one?" she responded.

The nation of shopkeepers.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#34 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,311 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:34 PM

Surely you refer to this Graham Parker song:

#35 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,528 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:53 PM

And here I thought I was quoting Napoleon.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#36 robert40

robert40

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:18 PM

http://www.foodandwi...low_facebook_fw

#37 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,528 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:57 PM

I'd like to add that this is also different from Australian lobster tails.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#38 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 87,275 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:59 PM

I can only add that protestations that these things are inevitable (running out of food, sending dishes out randomly) are refuted by the simple competent management of most small restaurants in many countries for many years.

(Add "we can't cope with a reservation system" to that list.)

#39 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,528 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 11:52 PM

This isn't even a classic case of "running out of food."  This is a dish that's been heavily promoted but that's apparently PLANNED to be unavailable without warning on "gap" days (or at least that isn't purchased and prepared in a way calculated to insure continuous availability).  How hard would it be to buy and prep a new goat BEFORE the old one runs out?  I do that with toilet paper.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#40 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 03:03 AM

I walk by there once or twice a week and it's always on the menu in the window.

#41 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,269 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:06 AM

This isn't even a classic case of "running out of food."  This is a dish that's been heavily promoted but that's apparently PLANNED to be unavailable without warning on "gap" days (or at least that isn't purchased and prepared in a way calculated to insure continuous availability).  How hard would it be to buy and prep a new goat BEFORE the old one runs out?  I do that with toilet paper.

thats what I was essentially saying. Not to mention the place was a quarter full when I went and they were utilizing perhaps 50 percent of their outdoor space: I am no psychologist and don't know how to build hype but just from a logistical stand point, it couldn't be that hard to supply the demand.

Let me say again. That goat was freaking Delicious. This place could be a one menu item restaurant and be freaking delicious.
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#42 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 87,275 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 03:51 PM

Maybe there's only room for one goat.

You break down toilet paper?

#43 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,528 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:57 PM

Don't ask.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#44 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,699 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 06:36 PM

Maybe it's a cynical ploy to draw in unsuspecting diners.

I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#45 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,115 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 06:04 PM

thats what I was essentially saying. Not to mention the place was a quarter full when I went and they were utilizing perhaps 50 percent of their outdoor space: I am no psychologist and don't know how to build hype but just from a logistical stand point, it couldn't be that hard to supply the demand.

Let me say again. That goat was freaking Delicious. This place could be a one menu item restaurant and be freaking delicious.

Four of us went last night and, guess what... no goat.  By 8pm they were completely full (no outdoor area open any longer), including the bar seats.  Almost everyone in their 20s, almost every table ordering one drink each, one small plate & one large plate to share.  Probably still cost them $80-100.  I gotta admit, I haven't been to a place where I felt that the emperor had no clothes more than this in years.  And I've been to some pretty underdressed places.  

Its not that they weren't using good ingredients or cooking them reasonably well, its just that every single thing was underwhelming in flavor by a lot & small for the price.  Cocktails were admittedly somewhat interesting on paper but carried very little by way of impact - flavor wise or alcohol wise.  Putting the ones we ordered in tumblers full of ice cubes didn't help any.  No wine by the bottle list and glasses in the teens.  So we asked if they'd sell us a bottle of their Finger Lakes Hermann Wiemer blend (chardonnay, reisling & Gruner) and, of course, they could.  But they'd have to charge almost by the glass prices so this mid-teens retail bottle became mid-$40s.  But it was good and we had 2 bottles and enjoyed them.  The food was -- well, okay, nothing more.  We ordered the tuna ceviche tostada, one/order at $20 - it was tasty but, due to its pieces of tuna, avocado, etc but not as a "whole".  And not exactly sharable - size was medium and cutting it into pieces impossible.  Same with the pulpo w/bacon tostada, coming in at a bargain $18.  Both the tuna and octopus were of high quality but this was like getting one chip apiece with stuff on it for $4-5pp.  The chorizo and potato small plate was not a tostada but the tortilla it was on was the same size as the above.  Mostly potato.  Only about $12? (not sure).  We ordered the tongue tacos, which generally come 3 to an order for $12.  We asked for 4 & got it for the appropriate $16.  A veritable bargain at $4/taco, even though the meat's taste was not exactly distinctive or as good as any low end Mexican place.  We decided to try the duck mole for $25 and, although the mole was actually very well done, it was one duck leg + a little thigh (less than ¼ duck unless it was a very small duck) sitting on a plate with very thin slices of apple (¼ apple at most) and a heap of decent greens with candied walnuts and raisins.  Nothing else.  A side of beans cost us $6 (good black beans) and we were offered a side of rice (for $4) and/or tortillas (for $3) that we declined.   Its hard to describe the surreal nature of the place.  Very sincere bartenders, waitstaff and front of house people -- all friendly & seemingly told to continuously upsell, offer more for ordering, fill glasses as sips were taken & clear platters at the exact moment the last bite was taken -- all without any insight into how transparent it was or how it might be negatively received.

I don't think I've written a negative review in years and I really hesitated to do this one.  But I really think that they're taking advantage by doing this, even in a new trendy area with new trendy 20-somethings around in droves.  And, yes, I get that some/many/most of those eating and drinking there probably didn't notice anything other than the bright shiny new object.  But I did.  Its really not so shiny.  Sorry guys.

This space available… contact owner.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mexican, Gowanus, Brooklyn