22 replies to this topic

#16 irnscrabblechf52

irnscrabblechf52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 04:27 PM

(It is served family style, whenever dishes are ready.)

Immortal space traveler.

#17 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 05:22 PM

Ginny & I went with Lex & Deb.  As with the old Khao Soi (& then Chiang Mai), its a storefront type place with a limited menu.  And, as Lex said, they prepare each dish as they wish -- no consulting with the customer on any aspect.  And they make it clear that just about everything is spicy -- "as it should be eaten".  Bottom line: It was too spicy for Ginny to consider going back but, other than my sweat glands getting a workout, I generally liked it quite a bit.  

Dishes are all ordered at the same time & come out as ready.  We were warned &, sure enough, there was no way to deal with this other than to eat when served, even if it wasn't a shared dish (as several weren't).  The shared spicy duck salad was very good, albeit at the spice limit for each of us (& way over it for Ginny).  Ginny had the Red Snapper in Ginger and was able to eat it and even enjoy it.  The Khao Soi itself (which is what I ordered) is made with meat, not chicken, but otherwise pretty much the same as that served in the old places.  As much as I love chicken dishes, I think the meat improved the dish.  I'd gladly eat it again.  I think Lex had the Beef Brisket soup and liked it well enough.  I can't remember what Deb ordered but I do know that she was good in sharing it and that I liked it.  It was a non-soup stir fried meat dish, nicely done.  We also had something else, but what it was escapes me now.

Since Ginny can't really eat there and since I pass by periodically on my way home from tennis, I foresee take out as the future for me.  I'm not sure Khao Soi will survive that but we'll see.

eta: I guess I should go read the Wells review.

surprised you guys don't order family style--or are things served as individual plates here?

(It is served family style, whenever dishes are ready.)

The problem with dishes coming out when ready is that some things are not really shareable. I can give tastes of my Kao Soi, for example, but the overall portion can’t be ladled out into bowls the way a large dish could be. When it hits the table before the skewers of meat ordered & way before any other main dish, there’s an issue. Also, with level of spicyness being more of an issue here than in many other places, someone (like Ginny) is basically sitting with nothing while my spicy soup needs to be eaten while hot.

This space available… contact owner.

#18 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,537 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 11:13 PM

I feel you.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#19 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,800 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 03:28 AM

The problem with dishes coming out when ready is that some things are not really shareable. I can give tastes of my Kao Soi, for example, but the overall portion can’t be ladled out into bowls the way a large dish could be. When it hits the table before the skewers of meat ordered & way before any other main dish, there’s an issue. Also, with level of spicyness being more of an issue here than in many other places, someone (like Ginny) is basically sitting with nothing while my spicy soup needs to be eaten while hot.

i don't follow the logic. wouldn't she be as likely to be sitting there with nothing to eat if her individual dish came out later (when it was ready)? 

we were 8 adults today at a thai restaurant in st. paul. we managed to share what could have been an individual order of boat noodles just fine. we were fine with eating smaller amounts of everything, i guess. with just four people that wouldn't even be an issue.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#20 johannabanana

johannabanana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 04:44 PM

Beer only I think.

Wine, too (in bad glasses). Corkage (for $25) seemed to be very grudgingly permitted.

#21 johannabanana

johannabanana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 04:48 PM

The only dish I loved here was the Kah Moo Palo, which is as good as Sripraphai's version. The chicken skewers were good. I thought the chicken green curry was terrible. The duck laab was unpleasantly spicy (and I have a high spice tolerance). For some reason it made my husband and me hiccup after the first bite.

#22 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,537 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 05:09 PM

You'd think that would be from drunkman noodles.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#23 johannabanana

johannabanana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 02:33 PM

A few changes to the menu here. Went back for the Kah Moo Palo in vain after deciding I couldn't manage the hour's drive to Guan Fu.

The Khoong Muk Kai Kem, a shrimp and squid dish with a thick, unusually-textured sauce was very good, the only thing I'd go back for (not that I'd go back). The staff at Ugly Baby consider this to be mildly-spiced but it was at least the equivalent of medium-spicy at Sripraphai or Ayada.

The pork spare ribs were deep-fried and dried-out, doused with a sweet sauce. The Kang Hoh, a coconutty tangle of pork shoulder, spare ribs, and mung bean noodles, was full of bone shards and too spicy for me. I liked the pork scratchings that came on the side. They were considerably tastier than the appetizer of oily fried pigs' intestines that's now on the menu.

I wasn't impressed by the quality of the red snapper that comes in a broth, expensive at $25.

The curried rice with pork skin incorporated chunks of uncooked, fermented thai sausage without noting this on the menu, so watch out for that if it's not your thing.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Thai, Smith Street, Brooklyn