5 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:43 AM

I was up in Vero Beach today, and stopped by the new American Icon brewery.  The facility is inside a former municipal power plant, and adjacent to the Florida East Coast Railway. 

One item on the menu was Buffalo duck wings. Which turned out to be five meaty duck wings, lightly coated in what was likely corn starch, panko, black pepper, paprika, etc and deep fried.  I was quite pleased.  Thin crust, moist duck meat.  Served with a peppery relish and a dry slaw.

I've not had duck wings before, and I don't know that I've seen them at the butcher.  Have to try that out.

(I knew that there wouldn't be any trains passing by, and the day was a bit chilly with temps in the 60s and windy.  The brewery has two fire pits outdoors and about two dozen tables outside. I chose to stay inside.)

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#2 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:05 PM

How I would do it: Fully cook the wings first (simmering). Then dry and coat. If you try to cook them completely by frying, you might burn the coating long before the meat is done, and the wings will still be tough.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#3 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:43 PM

Thanks.

Simmering, then drying, would work well in a bar environment.
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#4 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:42 PM

Yeah--then all they have to do is coat and fry, which is pretty quick.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#5 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,828 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:39 PM

Or you can buy something like this, and then just fry 'em.

#6 joiei

joiei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:17 PM

Yesterday I had the privilege of judging a steak cookoff at the Sam's Club in Plano, TX.  One of the categories was tomahawks.  Several of the cook teams used sous vide for the tomahawks and I was very impressed at what they were turning in for the judges.  Moist, tender, juicy, and incredible.  The one that was most beautiful to me unfortunately was over salted.  There we over 40 teams cooking and turning in these steaks.  Being a competition food judge is a good thing on some days.  This competition was put on by the Steak Cookoff Associaiton. 

"Love ya once, love ya twice, love ya more than beans and rice"