MF Old

#17 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 08:00 AM

So someone bought me an 8 quart instapot. Sounds good on paper. Thoughtful gift, definitely. Well, once the reality set in, i now have this 8 quart monstrosity. It’s huge, I can’t even imagine where I would put it. I have the space to store it but, yeh, now I have to climb up a ladder every time I would like to use this time saver.

So, it makes yogurtr, its a slow cooker, it’s a pressure cooker, a canner, it does it all. But, I have pots and pans in my house. Anyway, yadda yadda yadda, I am returning the damn thing and maybe getting a small stove top pressure cooker. My wife said, you are a cook why would you want this machine.

I researched. I wanted to make carnitas, I wanted to cook the pig ears I have in my fridge, I want To make beans in an hour, I want to theoretically make a 6 lb turkey beast is in 40 minutes, or make pulled chicken in 20 minutes, or whatever. All of these things can be done in a small pressure cooker.
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#18 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,284 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 08:37 AM

But you won't be able to make really bad home made yogurt.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#19 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,065 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 11:34 AM

I researched. I wanted to make carnitas, I wanted to cook the pig ears I have in my fridge, I want To make beans in an hour, I want to theoretically make a 6 lb turkey beast is in 40 minutes, or make pulled chicken in 20 minutes, or whatever. All of these things can be done in a small pressure cooker.

You're gonna want at least a 6-qt. pressure cooker, otherwise it's pretty useless.  And in your case, considering you do cook for more than 2 or 3 people many times, probably an 8-qt.  So I don't think it's gonna be unnoticeable, and you still may end up climbing a ladder every time you want to use it.

Re: yogurt - I can make some pretty good yogurt at home, but when the store-bought options are even better and even reasonably priced, why bother?  

#20 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,364 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 12:58 PM

Yeah. I don't think you'll regret the 8 quarts once you accept the highest and best use is stock making. Beans and things like oxtails and pig ears too.

Would give a hard pass to carnitas and chicken in any form.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#21 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 03:36 PM

So here’s another question. I my stock generally takes 12 to 15 hours. It appears every 30 or 40 minutes is like 3 hours, so if I wanted to make a chicken stock I can put the stock in the insta pot of like 3 hours?

I was really upset to learn it want a pressure fryer. I would like a pressure fryer I think.
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#22 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,364 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 03:59 PM

More like an hour to 90 minutes to extract the flavor. But try that and see if you want to go longer. I occasionally double boil stock with a second set of roasted carcasses.

#23 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,065 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 04:00 PM

Since I know of no chicken stock taking 12 - 15 hours (I think in general a classic French chicken stock takes 4-5), I push a pressure cooked chicken stock out in 1.5 hours. And then the release takes some time, because if you release pressure too quickly, everything will boil together, and the stock will lose clarity.  

#24 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,364 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 04:04 PM

I'll also say I asked for a stovetop pressure cooker as well and my mother gave me our offbrand instant pot- and I was totally skeptical. But it's great if you use it for the obvious things. I also like that I can set it up and leave the house to do other things. The one real disadvantage over a stove top is that you can't run water over it to do a natural release ( which is what you'll mostly want to do as a forced release stirs things up like crazy)

But don't believe those lunatics who think you can do anything in one...

#25 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,065 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 04:04 PM

One of the most delicious pressure cooked stocks I've made was using Myhrvold's method.  Wings and ground chicken thigh meat.  90 minutes.

#26 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,065 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 04:07 PM

The one real disadvantage over a stove top is that you can't run water over it to do a natural release ( which is what you'll mostly want to do as a forced release stirs things up like crazy)

But don't believe those lunatics who think you can do anything in one...

Isn't that a manual release as opposed to a natural release, which I thought was just letting the pressure reduce on its own?

I've seen some of the food some of the lunatics make, and it looks pretty fucking good - though I don't use it for much more than stock and beans (and even then, only when in a bit of a hurry).

#27 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,969 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 06:39 PM

Don't despise the crockpot function.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#28 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,969 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 06:46 PM

Just for Daniel!

https://cooking.nyti...-an-instant-pot

Bar Loser

MF Old

#29 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,065 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 07:35 PM

Don't despise the crockpot function.

As someone who'd never owned a crockpot, yes - this is an added feature. I made beans this way recently, don't have to do much except set the thing up. Which is also the reason I like the pressure cook function - set it and don't worry about burning down the house. With my old school pressure cooker, it was certainly fussier; I gifted that one to friends who go skiing for a month in Park City - she loves it for cooking at altitude, where it's practically a necessity to have one.

#30 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,969 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 07:47 PM

But there's just something about a hunk of meat that's been cooked in broth and vegetables like forever.

Bar Loser

MF Old