#1 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,634 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 05:41 PM

Moving off the Wu Tang Wonton Thread.

An outpost of Little Tong opened up near my office.  It's one of these places that has only a few items on the menu -  seems to be four variations of the same noodle dish.  And a bunch of sides.  

I think I tried the Mala Dan Dan Mixian (Ground Pork, Ya Cai, Green Peppercorn Oil, Pickled Celery & Mustard Seeds, Spicy Peanuts).  A smallish portion of over-cooked noodles with some good stuff in it.  A full lunch would probably cost $20.  Nothing special.  

An outpost of Peppercorn Kitchen opened on Mercer Street next to my apartment.  Again, the menu was just Mala Tang, with choice of proteins, and a few sides.  My friends tried it and were disappointed.

I've not found a reliable place for delivery since Grand Sichuan St. Marks went downhill and closed.  Hot Kitchen is pretty reliable, but I don't eat most of the stuff on the menu.

#2 Blondie

Blondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 06:24 PM

I've had lunch at that location a few times, as my gym is also nearby  :)  I really liked the Grandma Chicken Mixian over the Mala Dan Dan.

Edit: This is how Pete Wells described it:

In the grandma chicken mixian, a dark and grainy oil slick — a distillation of garlic and black sesame — dyes and deepens a chicken broth that is already so full-bodied it’s almost sticky. Resting on top of the rice noodles is chicken confit, which, in terms of moistness and flavor, is the exact opposite of the desiccated, used-up meat typically found in chicken soups. There are spicy red bits of fermented chile, some salty and sour pickles, an egg boiled in pu-erh tea, and long ivory chrysanthemum petals. It has to be the most interesting chicken noodle soup in the city right now.

The pu-erh egg is fantastic.

BlondieNY.com

"Finally something intelligent."

#3 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,003 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:44 PM

Today I tried the newer outpost of Hao Noodle, in Chelsea.

Based on a sampling of the 4 dishes we tried( 2 different dumpling dishes, dandan noodles, and spicy beef with dried orange peel, I was impressed with the quality, and am looking forward to going back with people who have bigger appetites than the 2 friends I was with.

#4 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,206 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:02 PM

I think 90% of the renaissance / gold rush places are rice noodles or hot pot, which sort of limits how much they interest me. But there sure are many of them.

Still not an excuse for not trying mountain house yet.

Also that huge dim sum (and I assume, rice noodle) factory in Bushwick seems busier than ever... 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#5 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,206 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:14 PM

p.s. I also saw that a lou mei place just opened on 10th street

#6 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,013 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:32 PM

Based on a sampling of the 4 dishes we tried( 2 different dumpling dishes, dandan noodles, and spicy beef with dried orange peel, I was impressed with the quality, and am looking forward to going back with people who have bigger appetites than the 2 friends I was with.

I believe I qualify.

This space available… contact owner.

#7 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,843 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:54 PM

Bigger than the two friends combined.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#8 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:13 PM

An outpost of Little Tong opened up near my office.  It's one of these places that has only a few items on the menu -  seems to be four variations of the same noodle dish.  And a bunch of sides.  

I think I tried the Mala Dan Dan Mixian (Ground Pork, Ya Cai, Green Peppercorn Oil, Pickled Celery & Mustard Seeds, Spicy Peanuts).  A smallish portion of over-cooked noodles with some good stuff in it.  A full lunch would probably cost $20.  Nothing special. 

I liked it more than you did. When I went, there were a fair number of specials for Lunar New Year.

http://mouthfulsfood...g/#entry1424201

#9 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,003 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:35 PM

I think 90% of the renaissance / gold rush places are rice noodles or hot pot, which sort of limits how much they interest me. But there sure are many of them.

Still not an excuse for not trying mountain house yet.

Also that huge dim sum (and I assume, rice noodle) factory in Bushwick seems busier than ever... 

I was surprised that the menu at Hao Noodle was pretty extensive, with dishes other than noodles.

Though the Chelsea location seems to have a deeper menu than the 6th Avenue locale.

Steve - you definitely qualify - these were Californias, and they eat like birds.  Not condors.

#10 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,206 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 12:38 AM

Hao is one of the most ambitious, and predates the gold rush.

I walked by a newly opened dim sum place on 2nd Ave and if the dim sum aren't from that big factory, they sure made an effort to make it seem like that.

#11 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,843 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 04:02 AM

Though the Chelsea location seems to have a deeper menu than the 6th Avenue locale.

Thanks for that. The opposite of what I would have expected.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#12 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,634 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 02:12 PM

We're getting another mala tang place on the corner of 8th and Mercer.  I hope they offer something other than soups and stews.

#13 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,634 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 02:34 PM

I liked it more than you did. When I went, there were a fair number of specials for Lunar New Year.

I'll try again.  Perhaps I ordered wrong!

Have you tried the new dumpling place next to Lenwich?  I had the beef and celery dumplings, which were fine. 

But to the subject at hand, sometimes I miss a good American Chinese place.  Charlie Mom downtown had very good versions of things like chicken with broccoli, shrimp with black bean sauce & awesome fat greasy egg rolls.  

#14 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,634 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 02:44 PM

I believe I qualify.

Ditto.

#15 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 03:20 PM

I'll try again.  Perhaps I ordered wrong!

Have you tried the new dumpling place next to Lenwich?  I had the beef and celery dumplings, which were fine. 

But to the subject at hand, sometimes I miss a good American Chinese place.  Charlie Mom downtown had very good versions of things like chicken with broccoli, shrimp with black bean sauce & awesome fat greasy egg rolls.  

I went to the East Village branch, which may just be overall better. Which Lenwich has a dumpling place next to it? I like Dim Sum Palace alright. (And I also miss Charlie Mom, the shrimp in lobster sauce in particular.)