MF Old

#17 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,533 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 05:25 PM

Curious, food-wise, if you had a similar reaction - for me, the only dish that wasn't particularly memorable was the second-to-last savory course. In our case it was halibut, but from what I've read it's usually turbot (apparently he didn't like the look of the turbot that morning) - a perfectly fine dish I'd be happy enough with anywhere, but didn't necessarily rise to the level of the rest. Though I suppose given that this menu will only be in effect for two more nights, a bit of a moot issue.

I think that by the time I got to that fish course -- it also wasn't turbot my night, but it was some replacement other than halibut -- I was already so blown away by the quality of everything that preceded it -- I thought that each dish must be my favorite, but the next one always matched or topped it -- that my critical/complaining faculties were just shut off.

Certainly, the final (savory) beef course was another blow-away.  (Speaking of high ingredient quality.)

Bar Loser

MF Old

#18 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,745 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 07:22 PM

beef course was another blow-away.  (Speaking of high ingredient quality.)

Of course, the steer stood about 7' 6"

#19 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,533 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 07:44 PM

It was a lot smaller by the time it got to us.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#20 The Flon

The Flon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 02:10 PM

Just booked it for next month. The winelist isn't online. How did it read to you both?

#21 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,533 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 02:13 PM

I did pairings. Which were very good.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#22 The Flon

The Flon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 03:05 PM

I did pairings. Which were very good.

ah!

That unusual for you, right? Just curious as to what sold you.

#23 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,533 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 03:09 PM

What sold me was that I basically had no idea what the food was going to be like, so it was hard to make any informed choices on my own.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#24 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,533 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 03:11 PM

And I have to say that, although the food was recognizably Korean, it did not have the spicy-fermented flavor profile that visits to the Koreatown standbys have led me to expect.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#25 Seth Gordon

Seth Gordon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 04:25 AM

The winelist isn't online. How did it read to you both?

It's an excellent list. Well curated. Markup is mostly around 2X retail. If you email them they'll send you a copy. We went with a Paul Bara champers - dry but not too acidic, medium body, worked really well.

#26 The Flon

The Flon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 11:30 AM

It's an excellent list. Well curated. Markup is mostly around 2X retail. If you email them they'll send you a copy. We went with a Paul Bara champers - dry but not too acidic, medium body, worked really well.

Thanks so much! Emailed them over the weekend after booking and just waiting to hear back.

#27 Seth Gordon

Seth Gordon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:04 PM

Thanks so much! Emailed them over the weekend after booking and just waiting to hear back.

It's a good, esoteric list - you could certainly get out for less than the cost of a pairing per person, or way way way way more if you want to splurge. We probably broke even (I think we spent $350 on hooch, including our cocktails at the bar, with tax and tip)

I have to wonder who'd be ordering full bottles of red, though, since basically only one course goes with it. I wish there was a creative tasting-menu-only place that went nuts on a great list of half-bottles and splits - they're the perfect size to play around with more on that style of menu.

#28 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,533 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:15 PM

I couldn't agree with you more about that last bit.  I always wonder why tasting-menu places don't feature more half bottles.  It seems so obvious.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#29 The Flon

The Flon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 09:45 PM

I couldn't agree with you more about that last bit.  I always wonder why tasting-menu places don't feature more half bottles.  It seems so obvious.

well I guess I will ask them that next month!

#30 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,533 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 03:59 AM

We're all waiting!

Bar Loser

MF Old

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tasting menu, korean, kaiseki