67 replies to this topic

#61 Tubbs

Tubbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 03:53 PM

Also it appears Jhonel is off in Europe...perhaps the junior somms need some extra training.

#62 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,101 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 04:25 PM

I thought the best dish yesterday (and not just for what it is) was a vegan dish of mushrooms and kohlrabi in fermented mushroom broth, but there were many other hits (and much Regalis)

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#63 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 01:02 AM

Also it appears ...perhaps the junior ... need some extra training.

Agreed !

The junior diner, when given wine from a bottle he ordered and not first presented with said bottle, should have immediately requested to see the bottle before ever drinking any wine

#64 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,101 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 01:38 AM

I think you misread.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#65 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,536 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 02:00 AM

But what surprised me the most was the complete inability of anyone in the room to deal with the situation, just total helplessness. 

Perhaps haplessness also applies.   But, seriously, mispresentation of the ordered wine is one of the most awkward of dining room lapses.    The situation can be corrected but there remains a certain disconnect.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#66 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 03:09 AM

I think you misread.

I'll deal with your misread later cuz it's actually you who miswrote as we'll see in a separate post ...

However, for the moment, let's focus on your infraction ... so let's read together ... how's that ?

And can I ask for a favor in advance, kind sir ?

Please no knee jerk reactions ... take a deep breath before responding ... maybe even a re-read or two ...

And you can thank me privately if it's easier for you if you prefer ... after all that huffing and puffing dies down of course ...

But what surprised me the most was the complete inability of anyone in the room to deal with the situation, just total helplessness.

You know what surprised me the most ?

It was the complete inability of a certain someone in the room, with full knowledge of the situation, to handle it well ... well for everyone

In any society that I want to live in people should attempt to care for, look out for and help those around them when they can … especially if they are more experienced and the younger one is struggling badly ... it’s basic human decency

When you are sure then pretty sures are surely not enough … but of course the situation needs to be handled delicately, gracefully and with elegance so that everyone saves face

"I think this is the wrong bottle, we ordered the white from the same vineyard and this is red."

"Let me check"

Runs upstairs, returns.

"No, it's the white, it's just that the bottle is from very dark glass."

Let me explain what's really going on here this way ... [Chambosplaining]

For example, imagine you’re by the side of a road at night in total darkness … you know, a Road Less Traveled … but a road you know very well …

Someone not totally familiar with the territory and a bit confused drives up to you and a conversation ensues and you say, to your credit, while pointing forward, “I think this is the wrong way, the road ends abruptly in a short bit”. So the young, unfamiliar driver gets out of his car, walks forward 10 meters into the pitch black of night, returns and says “it seems fine, it’s just very dark out there”

It’s simply NOT acceptable in The Chambollic Republic to say ...

"Err... I'm pretty sure it's not."

and then let the young driver rapidly proceed a hundred yards, fall off the edge of the cliff and then knowingly, carefully walk up to the edge yourself and scream down into the ravine 200 yards below “I TOLD YA !!! “

I know you’re thinking that it SHOULD BE the somm’s job … and you’re right, of course … but we all start somewhere and this situation is such that it has now absolutely become YOUR job and YOUR responsibility to prevent disaster and care for the youth with compassion and consideration ... you're the adult in the room !

You had the knowledge … you had the experience … but you didn’t wield it wisely … and you allowed that young, meek, weak animal to become roadkill on your watch !

You should be ashamed … and that’s pretty close to pre-meditated murder in my Republic

Don’t let that happen again … please … everybody needs a little help from their friends sometimes ... strangers need help too ... 

#67 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,518 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 04:57 PM

When Americans start telling Israelis they're not obnoxious enough, you KNOW something's up.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#68 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 05:04 PM

When Americans start telling Israelis they're not obnoxious enough, you KNOW something's up.

I think you misunderstood.

I'm French. He's Maltese. It was an all EU exchange

Please no knee jerk reactions ... take a deep breath before responding ... maybe even a re-read or two ...

And you can thank me privately if it's easier for you if you prefer ... after all that huffing and puffing dies down of course ...

First of all, thank you for not jerking

Second, thank you for the private thanks

I think you misread.

I'll deal with your misread later cuz it's actually you who miswrote as we'll see in a separate post ...

[FOR ORIK ONLY … repeat … FOR ORIK ONLY]

From the archives ... Captain's Log ... AirChambo #212 ... Star Date - Oct 31 2019

I think you miswrote.

FYI There was NO misreading (in any conventional sense of the term) whatsoever by anyone or anything associated with me … it’s your writing … and your writing was accurately processed based upon the rules of the English language

First of all, to be crystal clear, I didn’t misread nuttin cuz I didn’t read nuttin !

Second … “my” last few posts from today (today, in your version of time ... ETA Oct 31 2019) were all AI-automated airplane bot blasts from the beyond as AirChambo’s mind was accelerating towards the c … this transcendent bot technology is actually working VERY WELL … and with a super low degree of error … and with a lovely personality twist to boot …

"I think this is the wrong bottle, we ordered the white from the same vineyard and this is red."
"Let me check"
Runs upstairs, returns.
"No, it's the white, it's just that the bottle is from very dark glass."

However when certain people write grammatically incorrectly pretty much constantly ie cryptically (no subjects present*, missing thes ie prior to red and/or inconsistent use of articles and on and on and on) … yeah it’s within the realm of possibility that there could be a slight “syncing” problem vis-à-vis the confused writing of a confused mind that’s been too long in the mines … sandwich mines, mind you … no worries though … cuz it’s ALL resolved now … I did a couple of tiny tweaks … and the new version has a fully-tested, Orik-obscurity algorithm adjustment and it’s now operating beautifully in the wild … so I think that we’re pretty much good to go … and that’s good news all around … and, by the way, thanks for the help, mon ami !

*I just checked the bot log … and yes, not surprisingly your subject-less “Runs upstairs, returns” was bot-processed as if the bottle was opened, the wine was poured (in a no-gravity environment** of course, flowed upstairs and returned … due to the ensuing deceleration event

** which we were in at that very moment, I might proudly add***, given our acceleration at the time …

*** note how the bot is incorporating full environmental context into its overall analytical answering engine … and that’s just a tiny window into vast complexity of the language processing subsystem and what’s going on within … so from now on, I may just keep it simple and call the monumental iceberg of complexity that’s hidden from view and churning away below the scenes and processing trillions of instructions per nanosecond “AI” … cuz I want Wilf to be able to follow along … cuz he’s reading along … cuz he doesn’t follow “Orik Only” instructions very well at all ****

**** yep, all this was bot generated, as I say proudly*****

***** yep, pride … human pride, the most complex and challenging AI algorithm that exists and I’ve implemented it more intelligently****** than any human could ever hope to … because humans don’t know where their pride starts or ends or what’s in between … but that’s human nature … and I’ve left all that crap far, far behind …

****** The implementation details are way beyond Atomix … you must look past the sub-atomic level because I’ve cracked the quantum code … this is NOT as far-fetched as you think because as long as you are prefetching instructions in parallel universes to fill a virtual, distributed quantum cache in such a way that all quarks (and my remarks) seem strange then you are in a superposition to get the job done … but for those who don’t have a deep understanding of the nature of our universe and multiverse computing then they are naturally confused and they don’t immediately realize that everything as always is on point and eminently doable … and Chambo has done it … so I advise any and all to shrug off any growing, Schroding doubt about any paradox for at this very moment I’m surrounding by cool cats, big cats, fat cats, frisky felines, dead cats and live Katz as I reflect upon on the true nature of pastrami and astronomy in the asteroid belt… Chambo, To Infinity and Beyond !

These are the Automated Answers of the Starship Chambo

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tasting menu, korean, kaiseki