54 replies to this topic

#46 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,277 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 02:48 PM

So you’re telling me I need to find another one before my current one croaks. It’s not showing any negative signs. But everything in my my house seems to have slowly begun a death march. Something dies at least once a month 😡😖

#47 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,826 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 03:22 PM

Yes, while you still can. Just as a backup, especially if you have the room.

#48 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,549 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 04:50 AM

I think I'm just gonna trust that, by the time my beloved Cuisinart Combi dies, Breville or somebody will be offering some kind of countertop oven that, even if not combi, will be so awesome that I'll be happy to get it as a replacement for my beloved Cuisinart Combi (and I really cannot overstate how much I love my beloved Cuisinart).

Bar Loser

MF Old

#49 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,549 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 04:51 AM

(Evelyn and joe understand the love.)

Bar Loser

MF Old

#50 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,549 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 04:53 AM

Speaking of beloved tools, here's an interesting (to me) point:  I see the advantages of my Instant Pot over the slow cooker it replaced -- but I don't love my Instant Pot the way I loved that slow cooker.  Wonder why?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#51 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,549 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 04:58 AM

It may be nothing so much as that my slow cooker was oblong in shape and the Instant Pot is round -- making the Instant Pot much less accommodating of the kinds of things I put into it to slow cook.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#52 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,826 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 03:18 PM

Maybe your old slow cooker was ceramic? But the IP does so much more - if you're a fan of hard-boiled eggs, for instance, it rocks.

Rice? It rocks. Beans? It rocks? Etc.

Back to the CSO - Breville makes a great product sans steam, so no worries there.

But there must be a reason (like the combo of water, steam, and electricity perhaps?) which causes great consternation amongst manufacturers of countertop appliances.  We're lucky that NYC water isn't full of stuff, so basically the units never need descaling - that's another thing which may be a strike against their widespread development?  Just guessing here.

#53 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,277 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 03:34 PM

If you change your mind, Macy’s is having a big sale. The oven was discounted hugely-then an additional 15% off. And 6% cash back using Rakuten. Good through the weekend.

#54 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,539 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 01:21 AM

Wrong.    Sorry.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#55 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 01:45 AM

I have a slow cooker cook book that says that the oval shape works better for three out of four recipes, even where the fit isn’t the obvious issue.