145 replies to this topic

#136 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 02:46 AM

I know I posted before but I just looked again, and standard high street prepaid debit card is $2.50 for cash reload, $1.50 for transactions, $3 for ATM withdrawals.

I thought the reload used to be a percentage of the deposit; if so things have got better. These businesses are trying to stack them high and sell them cheap, not set rates their market can’t afford. (I am sure there are predators out there.)

Wilf, if I understand what you are saying (and quite frankly on such numerical / technical subjects, I usually don’t due to lack of clarity) you seem to think that these are not predatory rates

They are ! and they are “egregious fees for actual usage patterns“ as I said above. Per your fees, I stand by everything I said but you’re going to need to put on your thinking cap and break out a calculator and consider the $ amounts and typical transactions that this unbanked demographic would be doing and figure out fees as a % of actual spend. I’m not going to do it for you because you will only truly understand by doing this exercise yourself ... and maybe with the aid of others

I’m done on this specific subject

And Bonner, to be sure that there isn’t a misunderstanding re my long initial post above, my criticism is aimed at the industry and not necessarily at specific individuals within (cuz of course that are plenty of great, high-integrity people in the field) and surely NOT at you ... I said sorry cuz I was slamming your industry ... i wasn’t slamming you

#137 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,804 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 11:06 AM

Psst, there's nobody around.   

There's always someone around.

#138 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,525 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 01:00 PM

You think having to spend an extra $1.50 to buy a cup of coffee or a sandwich isn’t problematical? Especially for a poor person?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#139 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,304 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 01:37 PM

Chambo no worries. The product of questionable value I sell is aimed at the very wealthy.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#140 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,804 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 03:53 PM

That's comforting.

#141 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,539 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 11:58 PM

Banks charge fees, especially to customers who don’t maintain a healthy balance.

The problem is poverty, and indeed access to banking services (not to mention housing, education, and healthcare). The problem is not being disbarred from buying a $12 sandwich. When McDonalds stops taking cash, we take to the streets.

(Being disbarred from using cash for most retail purchases would of course be a major problem.)

#142 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,109 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 01:36 AM

Whatever happened to that proposal to have the post office provide some banking services?

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#143 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,539 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 02:02 AM

Are they still providing mail services 7 days?

#144 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,109 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 04:28 AM

Seems they do mail 6 days and packages 7.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#145 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,107 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 01:43 PM

When McDonalds stops taking cash, we take to the streets.

They've already made the decision not to take cash in their kiosks, so while it'll technically remain possible to pay cash, it's going to become increasingly inconvenient as the number of cashiers is reduced.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#146 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 10:29 PM

Why is "overnight oats" a thing now in Germany, when they've had Bircher Muesli since 1926? And don't tell me it's because of no apples. 

Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot