10 replies to this topic

#1 joiei

joiei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 06:15 AM

One of the early proponents of the Craft of Cocktails has passed on.  I have fond memories of communicating with her in the early days of posting about foods.   This is the most current information I can post but a dear friend has posted about her death.  https://www.phillyma...e-philadelphia/  

"Love ya once, love ya twice, love ya more than beans and rice"

#2 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,839 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 04:18 PM

very sad news. i remember Katie well from egullet

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#3 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 04:35 PM

:( Rest peacefully.

Deb
Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice.

#4 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,843 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 05:01 PM

Really sad.  RIP.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#5 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,460 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 05:44 PM

I remember Katie from eGullet. She was one of the people that inspired me to start making infusions. She was lovely. I'm so sorry for her friends and family. It sounds like she impacted a lot of people.

Future Legacy Participant.

#6 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,853 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 12:27 AM

Oh yes indeed. Sad.

#7 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,843 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 06:08 AM

She was just so NICE.  And WELCOMING.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#8 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,839 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 01:02 PM

i'm so sorry to read this.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#9 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,988 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 10:22 PM

I had always hoped to meet her in person, but was out of Philly by the time I found egullet, and then no longer on egullet. I'm so sorry to hear this, she was really lovely.
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#10 cinghiale

cinghiale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 12:23 PM

I met Katie (virtually) in the early days of eGullet when she was the moderator of the Philly/Pennsylvania board (along with the late Holly Moore). At the time, she was the beverage director for Neil Stein’s mini-empire. I remember going to a dinner around that time hosted at Susanna Fu for a German winemaker, and I offered to translate his marketing materials. I asked Katie for help with descriptors, and her input was really invaluable.

Her first bartending gig was, I believe, at Chick’s in Bella Vista. Given that the restaurant was a block from my house, I sat at her bar several nights a week. She was updating what were then relatively unknown standards from olden days: Aviation, Corpse Reviver, etc. – stuff that’s now just old again. She made her own syrups and infusions. She told me about going to New Orleans for a competition (this must have been an early iteration of the Tales of the Cocktail) and how her luggage got lost, forcing her to remake her additives on site. She nevertheless returned with an award.

She later moved on to the Sansom Street Oyster House, and I drank at her bar there, too. I continued to pop in after moving to Italy in 2008. It was a bigger gig, but I kinda think she missed the low-key intimacy at Chick’s.

She was really a big presence on the eG Philly board, and I’m sure her enthusiasm inspired a lot of people to report on local restaurants, food stores, bars, and the like. She’ll be missed.

#11 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,003 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 11:16 AM

Great stories, cinghiale.

She was well-loved in the cocktail community, and food community at large. Always willing to share her extensive knowledge.

RIP, Katie.