36 replies to this topic

#31 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,788 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:30 PM

chor bizarre in delhi is down to their original location in the hotel broadway in daryaganj (their london location closed to make way for indian accent there, i think). they still serve a pan-north indian menu but their kashmiri wazwan is still the reason to go eat there. that is to say, there is a lot here for steve to eat but i didn't eat any of it (except a bit of rogan josh).

chor-bizarre-tarami.jpg

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#32 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,788 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 10:39 PM

a quick report on some chaat eaten in december (in which i ask in passing if american foodies are still excited about chaat).

chaat-chowk-gol-gappa.jpg

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#33 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,285 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 05:53 PM

Any thoughts on Gurgaon dining? Probably have two meals there. Is it worth trying to deal with gluten or should I give up on bringing my colleague.  Unfortunately this time travelling w/o Hindi speakers.

Unless you think there are better options for easy for foreigners regional indian I was going to do O Pedro for my one free meal in Mumbai? 

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#34 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,788 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 07:57 PM

are you staying in the bkc? if so, highway gomantak (which i've reviewed) is very easily reached and is very easy to order a meal at. the menu is in english and enough non-locals go there. just ask for a thali with clams/ tisrya, which you can get prepared either sukke (dry'ish) or masala (wetter). or a thali with some other seafood of choice. either way get an order of prawn fry on the side; not on the menu but they'll give it to you.

or o pedro is good if you want to check out that scene. the smaller plates were better, if i recall correctly. also in bkc is taftoon. the chef is the brother-in-law of a friend. north indian food, done very well and i believe they have a set lunch offer. it's a fancy place--very english speaker-friendly. but you should go to a goan place like highway gomantak (hindu goan) or o pedro (christian goan) before you eat north indian food in bombay.

gurgaon: there's a north indian place called coriander leaf that is good (or was when i ate there several years ago). basically in the genre of the north american curry house but actually good. people will tell you to go to sodabottleopenervala but this is best avoided. assuming you're not there long enough for a long, congested drive to delhi to be worth it, your best bet may be to eat at a good hotel restaurant. and make sure to take a hardcore polution mask with you.

~homer simpson

#35 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,788 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:08 PM

oh, at any indian place gluten-free is easy enough. there is always rice available and outside of the breads there's not going to be sneaky gluten in unexpected places (i.e if you're not ordering things obviously made with wheat).

~homer simpson

#36 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,285 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 09:30 PM

Worli

As bad as it looks it just cant be worse than last time when it was 130 degrees

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#37 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,788 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 11:56 PM

if worli then you will be closer to swati snacks in tardeo than to o pedro. this is a bombay institution and also very easy for english speakers to navigate. whatever else you get, get the panki with chutney and the peru shaak (guava cooked like a vegetable). gujarati food.

~homer simpson